Mike Yardley positiveshooting.com

jungle_re

OMG just watched that!! I've nearly P###ed my self laughing!!! Absolutely brilliant

Just remember - they both give a good ride ! :lol:

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://powerbase.info/index.php/Mike_Yardley

Apparently resigned his commission in 1981, other bits of interest on there as well.

It's quoting his own info - which is again, strikingly 'bland' about his Army service - well, strikingly bland for someone who's a massive self-publicist. There's only ever mention of Sandhurst, which is a means to an end, and not the endstate itself.

His linked in says this...again the Sandhurst, rather than field Army focus:

And later says this:

SMC6 is The Standard Military Course, I've no idea what DE15 is (remember, I've been knocking around in this environment for 2.5 decades!) .....and as soon as I see the word 'special' my antennae twitch - notice also the date mismatch 1986 vs 1980.

Triangulated with my difficulty finding a gazette entry for him .......... well, I'm sure there's an entirely normal explanation, but it all just strikes me, (particularly given his detailed, and well photographed, self-aggrandisement in all his other endeavours) as odd.

Causes me to wonder whether he actually commissioned (or, if he did, and I'm simply biffing spotting his gazette entry, whether his resignation was 'directed').

Seemingly a Walt ?..

I don't think we can say that - the phot is certainly a Sandhurst photo. Just some 'oddities' that'd be worth exploring by anyone so inclined.

- and I may simply be failing to spot his gazette entry! :)

The Wiki page on him states "He's also a graduate of the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst" ,I wonder ? , Cmon , someone call him out on tw**er

Be careful in your haste to condemn; he may well have commissioned, but as I've stated several times; I was simply unable to find any Gazette entries for him in the 1970s - that may be a 'failure to spot' on my part; but it's 'odd'. If he wasn't gazetted, he didn't commission. End of.

Perhaps some of you could try to look up his gazette entry too?

Also odd, to my way of thinking, his entire lack of reference to, or photos of, his post-Sandhurst commissioned service in the field Army. He seems to have taken every other possible opportunity to pose for a photo with a rifle just not, oddly for such a narcissistic self-publicist, in the field Army.

No tanks, no recce cars, no machine guns, no SLRs, no sterlings, no troops, no swords, no ceremonial....... pictures in his pakul with a grabbed minder's AK....but nothing with his Brit soldiers.

Be careful in your haste to condemn; he may well have commissioned, but as I've stated several times; I was simply unable to find any Gazette entries for him in the 1970s - that may be a 'failure to spot' on my part; but it's 'odd'. If he wasn't gazetted, he didn't commission. End of.

Perhaps some of you could try to look up his gazette entry too?

Also odd, to my way of thinking, his entire lack of reference to, or photos of, his post-Sandhurst commissioned service in the field Army. He seems to have taken every other possible opportunity to pose for a photo with a rifle just not, oddly for such a narcissistic self-publicist, in the field Army.

No tanks, no recce cars, no machine guns, no SLRs, no sterlings, no troops, no swords, no ceremonial....... pictures in his pakul with a grabbed minder's AK....but nothing with his Brit soldiers.

Very good point.

Here's why it didn't add up.

He dropped out of RMAS at his first go (SMC6) in 1976.

He then commissioned in July 80 on the 'DE' course (re-named to SGC for my vintage)

He then resigned his commission in 1981.

I'll run that again....he commissioned mid 1980, and resigned in 1981.

The minimum engagement is 3 years. To resign within a year is 'impossible' - there'll definitely be a back story to his resignation that won't be as simple as what he's claimed below. To release him early, the Army must have wanted to be rid of him.

post-1450-0-98280800-1448130366_thumb.jpg

post-1450-0-28083000-1448130384_thumb.jpg

Here's why it didn't add up.

He dropped out of RMAS at his first go (SMC6)

He then commissioned in July 80 on the 'DE' course (re-named to SGC for my vintage)

He then resigned his commission in 1981.

I'll run that again....he commissioned mid 1980, and resigned in 1981.

The minimum engagement is 3 years. To resign within a year is 'impossible' - there'll definitely be a back story to his resignation that won't be as simple as what he's claimed below. To release him early, the Army must have wanted to be rid of him.

attachicon.gifyardley1.jpg

attachicon.gifyardley2.jpg

He commissioned (but connect with my minimum engagement observation above):

post-1450-0-85355800-1448131719_thumb.png

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/48331/supplement/13949/data.pdf

Brigade Squad - an old-fashioned 'O' type engagement run by the Brigade of Guards for potential officers (POs). All the 'guardsmen' in this photo will be Eton/Harrow types hoping to go to Sandhurst. The O Type was a pre-selection course designed to prepare POs for RCB. The O Type was a weird 'join the Army for 8 or so weeks' thing for POs. If the boys then failed RCB, they could simply go back to civvy street. This will be what he's described as his 'special engagement' on his linkedin profie.

To be fair to Yardley, Brigade Squad was fairly notorious as being a bit of a beasting course. 12208642_10154517394538018_6909303328238

A stunningly small parade at Sandhurst, presumably his DE pass out parade.

10505109_10153192838783018_7310317109942

As a 2Lt in 16/5L.....amazing that he had time to take the photo before his 'theoretically impossible' early resignation from his three year commission. 860893_10151797454428018_762187218_o.jpg

Added some notes for anyone not sure what the pictures are showing.

So would he have had to buy himself out?

Once he commissioned, he was committed to serve for 3 years.

To have resigned before completing that three year return of service, the Army would have to have wanted him to go.

Once he commissioned, he was committed to serve for 3 years.

To have resigned before completing that three year return of service, the Army would have to have wanted him to go.

That`s interesting , thanks.

Archived