Mike Yardley positiveshooting.com

jungle_re

A quote direct from his site

I think military style weapons in civilian hands convey quite the wrong image and one which is potentially damaging to the shooting sports at the moment. The possession of such weapons panders to potentially unhealthy fantasy (and don't tell me it doesn't, I have spoken to/observed too many fantasists). And these guns with large mags and rapid firing mechanisms

facilitate amok killing in the wrong hands. With our sports so threatened now, I think it important that we make a clear statement about this even if it is personally inconvenient. I certainly can't defend the use of Armalite and AK clones in the media when our chips are down, just as I cannot defend big bag pheasant shooting or obsessive trophy taking. It also concerns me that Black Gun culture has become such a big deal in the US. It is something that has risen in particular since 9/11. I think it is a negative, dark, trend born of insecurity.

I can't believe after all that has happened to uk shooting sport someone who is so widely published and has the power of influence could be so divided. Infighting and politics between shooting disciplines is terrible. The responses he has had in both directions on Facebook just shows how ignorant so many people are with what our current laws allow and what is already illegal.

I for one will no longer buy a single publication Yardley writes for and will be writing to tell them such.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an opinion on what I believe to be a growing and unhealthy fetish with military style weapons and kit amongst some sporting shooters. It's my OPINION. It may be right or wrong, but some would seem not happy that I should express it at all. They accuse me of being a fool, a splitist, or worse for doing so. Well, guess what? We disagree. Live with it. But, don't come to this page to abuse, bully, insult or force your extreme ideas down my or my page follower's throats. State your case, argue, do the things that civilised people do. Also consider that in the tone of your response you will be judged. Meantime, I just don't think it is positive IN TODAY'S CLIMATE to promote shooting 'sports' which ape the police or military. I know such activities can be fun but there is more at stake here than that. It's not about our selfish likes and dislikes any more it is about something bigger. If shooting is to survive into the future, I think we have to consider very carefully its nature. I don't just make comment about unhealthy obsession with military weapons, I am concerned about the excesses of pheasant shooting and trophy hunting. Shooting, to survive, must fit its times and evolve where necessary...

OK Mark, deleted if it makes you happy. Personally I just find it sickening that a proposal scheduled for April is brought forward to gain more support on the backs of the death...I guess it is what politician's do.

I don't see it as 'aping' police or military .

It is competition shooting which incorporates positional changes , time pressures and puts you out of your comfort zone (breathless after movement).

As for 'black rifles' all of the major manufacturers are recognising the benefits of synthetic stocks and I would guess that they outsell wood. Todays AR15s are the Lee Enfields of the future . Does he propose to do away with these as well? What is the rapid fire mechanism he talks about? Straight pull ? Bye bye Blaser

Personally I don't see the enjoyment in strapping yourself into a too small jacket and contorting yourself around a .22 in an indoor range of 25m but I would never suggest we get rid of that aspect of shooting.

I find it incredibly naive that someone (M.Y.)who makes a living from the shooting industry would alienate such a large %.

Shooters are their own worst enemy sometimes

Andy

I hadn't heard of him until I read this thread.............I had a look at his site, and he appears to be a clay shooter.

As I'm keying this, there's an advert for Accuracy International, showing "the worlds finest sniper rifles" and "hard" men in combat clothing.

Not sure what wearing leather gloves would do for my shooting (with a 100gram 2-stage trigger), but the marketing guys have obviously found that the military connotation helps to sell product, which together with TV and cinema offerings, just might have helped the increase both in popularity of the black rifle, and it's critics...........

Let's be honest, there's a bit of Walter Mitty in all of us......... I'd be up for CSR in a flash if I had a new pair of knees............

H/man

He writes i believe for:

SportingShooter

ClayShooter

Shooting Times

The Field

None of which i will now ever buy

Interesting further quotes from him. Antis don't need to divide and conquer as we do it to ourselves

https://ukshootingnews.wordpress.com/2015/06/29/do-you-shoot-civilian-service-rifle-mike-yardley-thinks-youre-selfish-and-weird/

Thanks you the link, about to watch now.

Its recent posts on Facebook came up as an advertised block on my page (his positive shooting website)

He writes i believe for:

GunMart

SportingShooter

ClayShooter

Shooting Times

The Field

None of which i will now ever buy

Interesting further quotes from him. Antis don't need to divide and conquer as we do it to ourselves

https://ukshootingnews.wordpress.com/2015/06/29/do-you-shoot-civilian-service-rifle-mike-yardley-thinks-youre-selfish-and-weird/

For the record Will, he doesn't write for Gun Mart or Shooting Sports, and hasn't done so in quite some time.

Furthermore, the editor of GunMart isn't well and he is being replaced in the short term by contributor and friend of ours, Graham Allen

Graham is a good guy, he regularly shoots CSR after all so how could he not be?

Graham has stated that as long as he is Editor then Yardley will never write for GunMart.

I hope the other mags do likewise

Strange comments from the man who recreated and carried out mock assinations of JFK and MLK, just to see if it could be done

He also appeared on a programme marking the 25th anniversary (I think) of Hungerford, and was shw=own shooting watermelons with a Southern Gun 9mm rifle

He states in his blog that he was kidnapped in Beirut in 1982.....sadly they let him go!

"Michael has worked a photojournalist and war reporter in Syria, Lebanon, Albania/Kosovo, Africa, and Afghanistan. He was seized off the street in Beirut in 1982 (before Terry Waite and John McCarthy) but released shortly afterwards having befriended one of his captors. In 1986 he made 3 clandestine crossings into Afghanistan with the Mujahedin putting his cameras aside and working as a medic on one mission with a group called NIIFA. In the late 1990s, he ran aid convoys to Kosovan Refugees in Albania and on the Albanian/Kosovo border. The charity he co-founded, ‘Just Help,’ was honoured for this work which took 300 tons of relief to desperately needy people."

When will people like Mike ever learn? Antis are antis. We lost pistols. We lost semi-autos. They didn't just fold up their tents and say 'Hey, those shooters have given up enough now. Let's leave them alone."

I was only vaguely aware of the bloke, but took a look at his Facebook page. You are right, SWShooter - he looks like a smug stripey deckchair. :lol:

Archived