Wide Footprint Bipod

Hally

Another way to skin the cat. Cradle type bipod on my dta. Wide, stable and foldable.]http://s111.photobucket.com/user/davids-s1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0180_zpsh1kgmw2n.jpg.html]DSC_0180_zpsh1kgmw2n.jpg

I have been looking at the concept of a top rail mounted bipod for a few years. I have found an engineer to make one for me. Its a copy of an un-patented .50 cal type bipod which i have tweaked and lightened little for .308 rifle use.

Low profile, light (aluminium) and wide. Fits on top or bottom rail with adaptor. Or direct to AW spigot withour adaptor. Ski feet and a few degrees of cant.

I am not a trade advertiser here ( yet ) so thats as much as I can say and I wont add a pic of my prototype as I dont want to breach the rules.

I am going to start marketing at Christmas and as soon as I get orders for 10 I will become a trade advertiser here.

I would of thought nearer the end of the stock the better.a mate made an extension for his bipod that us on the end of an ai spigot.its it a inch or 2 back from the muzzle brake.he calls it a longerator.it does seem real steady.most of the movement seems to be at the butt end now rather than wobbly both ends.i still beat him though lol.i use a super short pod.i modified a harris type so I have enough room under the butt for my finger flat.depending how even the firing point is.

The Seb Bipods are Fantastic and I have owned one. I found with me tho it jumped but this might be my shooting style good things tho. The Bipod is 1.4 KG so not very light . We have Dolphins for our heavy stocks. But we had weight up our sleeve so not for everyone. With this bipod we can still run a 3KG Barrel or run the 700mm wide Bipods and run 3.2kg Barrels .As for uneven Ground we have some very Shoking Mounds around here. And at times we use a inch of solid Industrial Heavy duty Belt under the Bipods. This gives a very smooth platform. With the feet comming in as you ajust this is true. But we use 700mm Wide Bipods ATM and I have not come across a mound that when you ajust for elevation that the footprint still is more than most. One advantage with a wider Bipod is Torque Jump / Skip you a almost don't get it at all. It just slides back as it can't skip to the side. But the weight issue of the Bipod is not an issue for us but could be for some. We had weight to make up so for fun started to play with the footprint. This is our 700mm Bipod and sorry I can't seem to get it the right way around.

Brilliant,

Lionel Richie would just love that

Hally,

whereabouts is your range? It looks like you're shooting over harvested crops in the vid but rough pasture in the last couple of photos. I've shot at Belmont and Ipswich a few years ago and also at the range outside Canberra, forget the name now. We also spent a week in Adelaide and I wanted to visit Lower Light, Mildura and Murray Bridge, but the missus wanted to see the Barossa and the German town and you know what they say, happy wife = happy life!

Richard.

Hi Richard

We are from Victoria. The Vid was takn on at our club range in Bendigo and it's also the State range. We shot at Werribee Range on saterday where the pic from the back was taken . It is very Dry at the moment and it probably dose look a bit like a Crop. And it will get worse before it gets better with summer comming. Belmont in Qeensland is probably one of the best ranges ( in Looks ) in Australia. And the Range out side Canberre is Mandura Range. They just shot the ACT ( State ) Queens there a couple of weeks ago and had rain off and on most of the comp. We shot in Canberre last year and it can have funny weather. We shot the first day and it was cold foggy second day We shot in 41deg heat. And then we received torrential rain and couldn't finish the last range.And to stop us from getting bourd the wind was verry twitchy. All very interesting.

Can I ask why?

What advantage does a wider footprint bipod give?

ozone

Hi this is what l was wondering myself . I have seen on the net some wired and wonderful set ups and this sparked my interest. I use the Dolphins and they are very good. With our setups we can run up to 1.4 KG Bipods with 3KG barrels so I thought l would experiment just curious and have some fun.

The first ones we tried have a footprint of 700mm and 1.2 KG . And they are Very good very stable with very little movement . Are they any better than a Normal Footprint???. When using the heavier 210 Berger's they definitely behave very well. I was told that Some of Sebs ( Fantastic Bipods ) first Bipods had one leg wider than the other to try and counter the Torque maybe ??

So I wondered about making both legs wider. They are heavy and so not suitable for most FTR shooters.

But they are very stable don't jump or move much at all really. All fun Tho

Hi this is what l was wondering myself . I have seen on the net some wired and

wonderful set ups and this sparked my interest. I use the Dolphins and they are

very good. With our setups we can run up to 1.4 KG Bipods with 3KG barrels so I

thought l would experiment just curious and have some fun.

The first ones we tried have a footprint of 700mm and 1.2 KG . And they are Very

good very stable with very little movement . Are they any better than a Normal Footprint???.

When using the heavier 210 Berger's they definitely behave very well. I was told that Some of

Sebs ( Fantastic Bipods ) first Bipods had one leg wider than the other to try and counter the Torque maybe ??

So I wondered about making both legs wider. They are heavy and so not suitable for most FTR shooters.

But they are very stable don't jump or move much at all really. All fun Tho

So basically the wider and heavier the bipod, the less the gun will move at

the point of firing the bullet and the more accurate it would be.

Taking this to its most extreme if the rifle was locked in a vice and if it was

impossible to move, then it would be even more accurate?

In a way, it is reducing the impact the human has in holding the rifle?

Would that be correct?

Regards

ozone

Hi Richard

We are from Victoria. The Vid was takn on at our club range in Bendigo and it's also the State range. We shot at Werribee Range on saterday where the pic from the back was taken . It is very Dry at the moment and it probably dose look a bit like a Crop. And it will get worse before it gets better with summer comming. Belmont in Qeensland is probably one of the best ranges ( in Looks ) in Australia. And the Range out side Canberre is Mandura Range. They just shot the ACT ( State ) Queens there a couple of weeks ago and had rain off and on most of the comp. We shot in Canberre last year and it can have funny weather. We shot the first day and it was cold foggy second day We shot in 41deg heat. And then we received torrential rain and couldn't finish the last range.And to stop us from getting bourd the wind was verry twitchy. All very interesting.

Hally,

Yes, I've stopped off at Bendigo but not to shoot, just wanted to see the range as we passed through mid week on the way down to Melbourne. That would have been in January and very very crisp underfoot, I was told that the range was watered well for the Commonwealth games which created another problem, too many roos looking to graze on the nice green grass! Mandura, yes, maybe I was getting confused with another SSAA range outside Adelaide.

A mate of mine was a member at Geelong for a couple of years, shooting out of the range hut I remember, but back in NZ now.

All the best mate.

Richard.

Would that be correct?

Regards

ozone

That's pretty well it Ozone but we are talking F Class competition here and there are rules - governing all-up weight and means of support - so no 'locked in vice' stuff.

The all -up weight including bi-pod is 18lb 2oz. How you use that weight is up to you.

Personally, I'd start off with an 8lb barrel and work back from there. A modest scope like an 8-32 Sightron with rings and rail would add another 2 lb. Say 2 - 3 lbs for the action, trigger and screws and we only have about 5lbs for the stock, bedding and that bi-pod. A decent wood laminate stock is around 4lbs so not much left for the bi-pod - that's why the SEB joy-pod is popular.

"Reducing the impact the human has in holding the rifle.." Definitely - if you don't touch it it won't move on its own - so keep contact to a minimum - trigger-finger and light shoulder contact.

Would that be correct?

Regards

Hi Ozone your thinking is right regarding the input with the human factor . A good Bipod Sed / Doiphin and the like are very popular and work excellently and are very steady so they will give you a good steady firing point and give very Accurate shots. . With the wide Bipods we are playing with I was interested in seeing where they ended up and behaved under recoil and not jump around or move off the target a lot. As perhaps over a long competition if your rifle doesn't jump around or bounce a lot this might be beneficial at the end of a long days shooting. I don't think a wide footprint will give an advantage in the Accuracy department but it is nice to take a shot and not have to realign the rifle to much.

There is a Dicaplin of shooting called heavy Bench Rest. I don't know a lot about it but their rifles are almost a Artillery piece. Very heavy and when firing the shooter doesn't touch it hardly at all and they shoot super tight groups over very long distence. So to your point the impact of the human is reduced and can be beneficial...

What the Gun pimp was saying is right with our shooting as well less impact from the human can be beneficial.. but everyone has a different style I suppose.

And with the 8.25 KG limmit everyone distributes it in different ways heavy Barrels are popular and interesting to experiment.We run Barnard Ps and there are lighter Actions. But we have some weight to play with. So we do this in the Barrels and Bipods. So this is why we tried the Wide Bipod. I thought like you have said a wider Bipod might be more stable and wonted to give it a try.

The Weights I have Ozone

Action Barnard P -- 1.506 KG

Scope / Rings -- 1.085 KG

Stock. -- 1.250 KG

3.841 KG

Leaving us 4.409 KG to experiment with Barrels and Bipods. All good fun.

Archived