best reloading tip you've learnt

Swarovski1

Best one for me was from one of 1967 spuds video's on youtube, it was seat the bullet, lower the ram, rotate the cartridge 180 degrees in the shell holder and run frew the seater again, bullet run out is 50 percent less, ive always tried for most accuload possible, this tip from made my ammo real consistant, cheers spud.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glen Zedicker book.......don't rely on screwing the die down and hoping headspace will be OK...get it measured!

This is why i use type S bushing dies , on virgin Lapua brass ( neck turned ) after seating a 105 Amax i cheak the runout on a hornady concentricity gauge and its not even 1 thou ;)

I admit to using a torch to cheak every case for powder , iv double loaded a few times as well :o

What if you pick up a case next to the one you just loaded by accident ? = a possible empty case/ bullet lodged in to lands in the field , this happened 2or3 times to me! once was my friends reloads . Cheers

What if you pick up a case next to the one you just loaded by accident ? = a possible empty case/ bullet lodged in to lands in the field , this happened 2or3 times to me! once was my friends reloads . Cheers

You shouldn't be able to do that if you use two trays, one for empties and one for loaded. I fill the case while I'm holding it then straight to the press. I only put it down once it has a bullet in it

After dropping powder into your cases check them all with a small torch to make sure they all look uniform and you have actually charged all the cases before moving on to bullet seating.

Yes, that'd be my best tip too - I did once find a case I'd not filled.

Glen Zedicker book.......don't rely on screwing the die down and hoping headspace will be OK...get it measured!

Zedikers tip on case annealing:

"Stand all your cases up on a tray, then tip them in the bin and get new ones"

I don't use a press well that's not strictly true 90% of my reloading is done using a Arbor press with LeWilson bushing and seating dies. Including my milsurp calibres. Building ammunition is some thing to spend time over its a hobby in it self. Iv being doing it for a while at least 20 years and Iv still got all my fingers.

Ive no idea what an arbour press is, ive heard of them obviously, my reloads shoot extremely well with normal dies, whats the advantage with the arbour press.there is alot of gimics with reloading gear, alot appear unnessasary and waste of money, ive fancied a electronic despenser and scales for a very long time for ease really, don't think you will beat the old beam scales.

My top reloading tips are work in a well lit and quiet area, invest in a vernier calliper and marry a shooter. My wife does all of our powder throwing and I have the utmost confidence in her work which means I can get on with the metallic side of things.

Always leave a one hole gap or a full row empty in the loading tray, start with no case on hole one, when you prime, charge or seat a bullet in the case from hole two, place in hole one, then hole three to hole two, hole four into hole three.

I've always done it.

Archived