Sako 75 6.5 x 284

Ronin

I was asked to make a client a custom stalking rifle for the hill.

The spec was accurate, portable and within a reasonable budget.

Once the cartridge had been decided upon (6.5x284) the client sourced a donor rifle which fitted him and he liked.

I was presented with a slightly dogged and used second hand Sako 75 he had sourced.

After a little work, the dents in the stock came out, the old "attempt at bedding" was hogged out and I started work on refinishing the woodwork, without going overboard on the finish.

The barrelled action was stripped down and all parts checked over, mostly getting a clean bill of health though one spring in the ejector mech was missing and the trigger needed stripping and cleaning - while I did that I polished the sears.

The action lug abutments and bolt lugs were lapped, I then set about fitting a chromoly Lothar Walther barrel using their Sako Hunter profile.

The barrel was chambered using a .292" nk reamer Ive used on many "284's" I've built including my own stalking rifle.

Chamber run out was sub .0002" when I checked after final reaming cut.

The muzzle was cut, threaded M14 x 1mm and then a protective cap fitted (I'm not keen on the term, "invisible")

Once the action and new barrel had been to proof all metal parts minus the mag were sent to a friend who does exceptional blacking work (Midcounties Blacking)

A quick turn around later and I pillar bedded the action and bottom metal into the stock using custom made aluminium pillars and Devcon.

That process completed the stock was finished using final coats of Tru oil and other ingredients to give a tough, durable but pretty protective coating to the woodwork.

The end results are pleasing - not the best woodgrain in the world, but pretty enough for the job intended - reliable killing of deer on the hill.

The client expressly did not want a composite stock by the way.

Anyway, some images:

DSCN4397_zps8dhcdlhr.jpg

DSCN4398_zpsrm4qczwx.jpg

DSCN4399_zpsbykhlxn4.jpg

DSCN4400_zpsliedcmir.jpg

DSCN4401_zpsh86xaafz.jpg

DSCN4402_zpsweyao6ea.jpg

DSCN4403_zpsqjjeixw0.jpg

DSCN4404_zpsvkdy6gqa.jpg

DSCN4405_zpszosxeetj.jpg

Hopefully the client will enjoy the rifle and cull plenty with it.

Wow the blacking looks almost chrome , ace stuff , like the tlc wheelers deelers give to there cars and given a new lease of life to that rifle :)

Cheers guys

the blacking on the bolt knob (5th pick down) is what its like all over - the light in the room I took the images in just bounces off the finish.

Yes another labour of love, I put more hours into the rifle than I charged for, but the smile on the owners face when I showed him the finished product was worth the efforts.

Good job it's not for me, I'd cry the first time to had to crawl through the filth to get a shot.

Almost makes want get my name on Andy's waiting list to get some TLC for my 75.

• 3 months later...

While that rifle was built for a client, I have a 275 Rigby built on a Sako AV, that I may be tempted to sell if the price were right......but it wouldnt be cheap

Do a search for this

Sako AV 275 HV Rigby Stalker

Archived