Ruger Precision Rifle in .308

Will_

I came across a couple of threads about this rifle and I was wondering why the barrel is significantly shorter on the .308 model, and if this would cause problems at longer ranges.

6.5 Creedmoor = 24 inch barrel

.243 Win = 26 inch barrel

.308 Win = 20 inch barrel

http://www.ruger.com/micros/rpr/models.html

Do people think the 20 inch barrel on the .308 model is enough for 1000 yards and beyond?

I saw the 1600 yards quote on the website, but is that just for the 6.5mm Creedmoor?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're thinking of 1,000 yard match shooting especially on the small-ringed F-Class target centre, the 308 needs a longer barrel than either of the other calibres. 26 inches is needed to keep a high-BC 308 match bullet comfortably supersonic at this distance with sensible pressure loads. Keeping bullets out of the worst bit of the transonic zone (Ca. 1,126-1,250 retained fps) is difficult with this barrel length at normal temperatures and altitudes.

Having said that, there are bullets suitable for 20-inch barrels. Berger makes a 175gn OTM Tactical designed particularly for L-R use in the current 'in' rifles in the US, the 'big ARs' when loaded to ~2.800" for magazine operation. They're rarely seen here thanks to the ongoing endemic Berger shortages and the RRP is £54 / 100!

the 308 needs a longer barrel than either of the other calibres.

That's what I was thinking. Why do you think they've given it the shortest barrel?

Is the .308 not a great round for long range so they've just kept it short and tactical?

Maybe the 6.5CM is their long range model. Seems a shame though as I'd guess a lot of shooters would be drawn to .308 over 6.5CM because of cost & barrel life.

It's a lovely looking rifle though!

Will-don't overlook the market- the UK is completely insignificant-I would guess Andrew in Montana has already shot more Rugers from the local retail outlet than have appeared in the UK! It's not about ballistics,though you are probably correct- the UK just does not support anything like the US competition/recreational demand. I doubt eg that we have a top 50 "precision/tactical " list-we don't really have that many such top shooters. In the US 6.5 Lapua and Creedmore,and their 6mm wildcat offspring dominate that discipline-UK might have a handful of similar comps per year.

The sub 1 in 8 243 might be aimed there.Who has been wanting one here (well,me and someone else....)

..... :-)

gbal

Yes, I too wouldn't presume to divine Ruger's product and marketing strategy, only to note the company generally gets it right much more often than say Remington. If Ruger backs something, it's usually a success.

The 6.5 may well be seen as the L-R version of the trio, although the 243 shooting 115s (if suitably throated) will match it. If you want to see what this pair can do and waste around 40 minutes of your life very pleasurably while keeping your clothes on, Google Scotty and Chuck 3-round challenge and you'll find two YouTube videos of two worthies shooting 26-inch barrel tactical rifles in 243 Super LR (a long-neck, sharp shoulder version of the 243) with 115gn DTACs and 6.5 Creedmoor with 123gn Scenars with three shots at every 100 yard step from 500 to 1,700 yards on some US desert alfresco range. No sighters, two white steel silhouettes per shooter, 2 rounds on the larger one and one shot on a very small one. Remote camera on the targets so you see and hear hits (and misses).

It's a great watch and these little cartridges' ultra L-R performance is really impressive. I won't tell you which one wins.

It sounds like a great rifle. Have you ordered one gbal?

I'm sure the 20 inch barrel on the 308 isn't a mistake, (I'm sure they're already selling like hot cakes) but I'd like to see some reviews of the .308 model of the Ruger Precision Rifle shooting at longer ranges. They certainly seem to be marketing it as a long range precision rifle.

I liked the 500 - 1700 yard videos.

When (if) I get a bit more money I think I might be looking into those calibres myself.

Single feed?

Is that not a bit pointless in this rifle, that's like wiping you hind end before you poo?? ;)

Think the 243 version shooting 115 DTAC's would be my choice of the litter.

Anyone have a verified UK price yet out of interest?

T

Au contraire, ooman, au contraire...*

This is the Ruger precision target rifle we speak of, not a PPsh. Why do we need it to be magazine fed ? We plan** to pop a single shot through the centre of the V bull. We don't need a rapid follow up shot. Whilst the target is being lowered, the hole patched, a marker peg inserted and the target raised we suspect we'll have enough time to feed a new round into the breech.

* Badger speaking Froggish is a bad a curse as is imaginable

** Reality may intervene and drive the bullet elsewhere of course

Meles,

Then why not buy a Savage single shot designed for this purpose, which can also have the barrel changed easily?

As a side note, I believe the bolt face for the 55 is larger than the '08' base cartridges, not a lot, but probably 'enough'?

Brgds T

Will,the 308 -especially in 20 inch barrel is a poor choice for shooting beyond 750 yards or so-it just lacks enough capacity to shoot high BC bullets that far,especially penalised up to 150 less fps.So it is simply not competitive in open competitions,and lags behind other 308s in restricted calibre shooting. For casual/club shooting,it's fine,and quite versatile.

But "tactical/precision" shooting in US is a quite different game-engaging steel (roughly moa+) targets at often unknown distances from 350 to 650 yards,under dynamic and irregular conditions-barricades,quarries etc. Here a manoeverable mag fed 308 is viable- and if it performs,as initial reports suggest,the Ruger undercuts semi custom rifles by a large margin,and is -for some- attractively styled. Creedmore and 243 versions would still do all this better....

But add in the 'survivalist' prepper market for 308 especially. No doubt it will also be used in hunting,and the appeal of easy ammo etc that the established and durable 308 offers,all makes marketing sense.

gbal

My stalking rifle is a .308 with an 18" barrel. I have regularly shot it out to 1000+ yds. It depends on what your primary purpose is for the rifle. If you want a compact rifle for predominantly shorter range work and good barrel life but which can occasionally reach out to the longer ranges then the .308 option is fine. Also, if you don't reload, then for good, inexpensive match ammo, .308 is the best option too.

My .308 is a stalking rifle, so it want it to be light and compact. Hence the short barrel. Max range I encounter whilst stalking is 250yds, and very very rarely up to 300yds. Most shots are below 150. However, when I zero it at bisley etc and we shoot the longer ranges in the afternoon I can never resist giving it a go. Certainly makes you pay attention to the wind.

Shooting at longer ranges is what I'm hoping to do so I'll probably stay focused on the longer barrels for now.

It is a gorgeous gun though. Initially I didn't want to go near anything which looked tactical (I've been shooting nothing but SA80s, LSWs, GPMGs and LMGs for the last 5 years) but the Ruger Precision Rifle certainly broke my resolve.

Wazzer, I hope your rifle arrives in time for Christmas!

Well I've just had a call to say the one I have on order will be in the post either this afternoon or Monday

It's a .308 BTW

That's brilliant - I bet you can't wait!

If you shoot it at longer ranges, please do a review of it - I can't find any reviews of the .308 at range.

I'd imagine the 20" version is also designed to appeal to police forces that are tied to .308" and don't need 1000m capability.

This is it. I dont believe that Ruger are pitching the 0.308 version as a long range rifle. In recent years there has been a growth in poplarity of short barreled 0.308 tactical rifles. Much of this is because US law enforcement has realised that most police use of precision rifles takes place at very short ranges. So they can take advantage of the lower weight and greater manoeuvrability of a shorter barrel, particularly when the velocity drop is insignificant at these ranges. There has been a similar thing going on in military circles, where for example the British Sharpshooter rifle has a 16 inch barrel.

For the British target scene, the Ruger 0.308 might be of interest to a CSR shooter looking for a 0.308: it looks light and handy enough, the trigger weight meets the rules, you can magazine rest the rifle without a bipod; it will take surplus 7.62 ammunition; very long ranges are not required; and it will probably be a lot cheaper than the relatively rare straight pull AR10 derivatives (It looks like Bradders agrees!).

Will: the ballistic performance for 308w cartridge in a 20 inch (or any) barrel will be broadly similar whatever the rifle. (accuracy potential will vary).

Google in 308w with 20 inch barrel at long range"

Several sources come up- eg two by Zimmerman "The truth about guns.....Barrel length,MV and accuracy" and "Short barrelled precision rifle performance-demystified again"

This has some points-but read critically,seems confused on important points...by the end he's saying he doesn't shoot at long range (eg 1000y) and hunts SO barrel length doesn't matter ( ie to him);Furthermore "Velocity is abstract" because it varies...and hard to measure ( chronoscope???) and is affected by eg temperature (what he seems to miss is that the differential advantage of longer barrel remains...)...and that elevation (velocity related...?) is just dialled in and wind-well no-one can do that very well...(agreed,but some cartridges/velocities help more than others...no?) ...and so on and on.....it does put actual use into some perspective,where actual use is NOT long range as in 1000yards,but just gets muddled about really long range shooting too often....

Just consider whether there is anything much there...that stands up for 1000 shooting....he is really saying "308 velocities in short barrels" may not be too critical to your shooting......no disagreement there!

Agreed,a decent sample of Ruger shooting reports will be interesting-if/when we get a decent sample in the UK.But any one model rifle can't change the cartridge ballistics......and it's unlikely all the TR etc shooters are wrong over several decades....about the 308w,though others consider there are better long range cartridges...for long range shooters.....no disagreement there,either!

:-)

gbal

Archived