creedmoor with rs52

nicky.223

Hi guys I got myself a 6.5 creedmoor and I'm going to use 140 grn amax and I got a kg of rs52 just wondering if anyone know the starting point and max load using rs52

Cheers guys I'm new to reloading the Creedmoor

Going by quick load, RS52 is a bit too quick, no more than a 38 gr and 84.6% load density (LD) for a safe starting max load. I use RS60 in the 6.5x47. Very good powder. RS60 is OK in the 6.5 Creedmoor, but don't go much above what's listed on the RS website (42.7 gr). Putting in RS70 with a 142 gr SMK gives 2,869 fps with a 660 mm (26") barrel at 100% load density (LD) at 46.35gr. Though the pressures are getting a bit high. A load of 45.0 gr (97% LD) would be a better max point to aim at for a starting load ladder (obviously starting at about 10% lower).

So far, in three or four cartridges, I've found that RS52 and VarGet use very similar loads. So that provides a starting point - nothing more as they cannot be treated as equivalents / substitutes. Hodgdon lists data for VarGet in the Creedmoor for the 140gn Hornady A-Max.

Neither powder would be my choice for this combination - too fast burning by a fair margin. The norm for this combination is Hodgdon H4350 and this is used in factory ammo, the stated load being Hornady case, F210M primer, 140gn A-Max at 2.800" COAL (provided the industry standard chamber and/or PT&G reamer chamber is used) and 41.9gn H4350.

VarGet (and RS52 too) will produce lower MVs than H4350 at maximum pressures. So far as the Reload Swiss range goes, I'd suggest RS62 a single-base tubular number with a similar burning rate to the 4350s. I've used it successfully in 6.5X47L and 6.5 Creedmoor. RS60 as suggested by Swarovski1 will give VERY high MVs in the cartridge, but at maximum loads will likely also produce VERY short barrel life.

Opps nicky.223,

I forgot, this website has six interesting articles on the and reloading the 6.5 Creedmoor.

http://rifleshooter.com/tag/6-5-creedmoor/

US powder centric, so diddly-squat about European powders.

Another favourite shooting website has a little bit more on the Creedmoor, but again, US-centric.

http://www.realguns.com/articles/254.htm

http://www.realguns.com/articles/255.htm

Loads more if you search.

Neil

Start with Neil's 'realguns'reference review of a Ruger sporter,then try the 'rifleshooter' review of a 'precision Surgeon/Krieger/Mcmillan/Beast' combo.

Hmmmm.....sometimes it helps to see such things when starting out....

Cheers guys for the info so I think I'll be going for the rs60 as it sounds better than the rs52

Unless you absolutely have to have maximum possible MV, I'd reiterate my recommendation to use single-based RS62 rather than the very hot burning RS60. RS62 is an excellent alternative to the 'default' H4350 in not just this but in many other cartridges that use this powder grade, and is cheaper with much more reliable availability on top.

On Neil's recommended rifleshooter features, they're not entirely US-centric. Alliant Re17 isn't an American made propellant (no Re powder is, they're all European origin) and is in fact Nitrochemie Reload Swiss RS60 under another name, packaged in the USA and considerably more expensive than the stuff delivered directly to us from Switzerland and sold in Kg tubs as RS. W760 is a rarity here, but is the same thing as Hodgdon H414 which is widely available, isn't affected by the shortages that plague the Australian manufactured Hodgdon extruded grades, and is also cheaper than those grades.

Interesting information, Thank you for posting! I am just starting on load development for a 6.5 Creedmoor myself and have so far only tried Lovex SO70 which doesn't seem to generate brilliant velocities before pressure signs are reached, The only other powder I have on hand is RL-15 which is likely to be a shade fast for the 140 grain bullets but likely will be ok for the 129s

was going to try to get hold of some RL-17 or RS-60 but am concerned about there being increased barrel wear as it is apparently a hotter powder. I personally am going to stay away from Hodgdon powders if i can as supply wher I am is difficult anyway never mind adding in a national suppy issue as well!

I'm looking at a single base powder for my 6.5 Creedmoor (when it arrives!) I'm currently running a 140gr out of a T3 260 Remington using 37gr of Lovex S062, my starting load for the Creedmoor will be 36gr. I have no need to push for higher velocities or pressures as 90% of my shooting will be at 100yds.

I've found the S062 to be very consistent in the both the 260 Rem and 308 Win, I've started using D073.5 in the 308 Win (saving the S062 for the 6.5s!) and again it shoots very consistently.

Yes, SO62 (the old Accurate Arms-4064 as was before Accurate changed suppliers) is an excellent mullt-purpose single-based powder for cartridges like 308 Win. 4064 in its IMR or any other form is one of those great useful powders that seem to have been largely forgotten about in recent years. Look at a Sierra reloading manual and you see IMR-4064 all over mid size cartridge loads tables like a rash. Ironically, from what people have posted on the Accurate Shooter forum, it looks like the current generation of American shooters have partly redisovered it thanks to the H4895 and VarGet shortages!

Indeed, which is why I'm using the single base S062, the Hodgdon IMR starting load seems very low at 32gr though, I know Laurie mentioned in an earlier thread that Lovex's data was usually on the low side and from what we discussed then 36gr seemed to a be a good starting point for that powder/bullet combo.

Whatever works with a 140 in the 260 should produce similar pressures in the Creedmoor. Although the 260 has a slightly larger capacity case, as bullets are seated deeper than in the Creedmoor, the pair end up with near identical useable internal capacity with this bullet weight and 2.800" COAL and therefore, all other things being equal should produce the same pressures. Of course, things may not be equal, mainly barrel and chamber throat dimensions as possible variables.

Myself, I'd start marginally lower with SO62 at 35.0gn. 38.0gn should be attainable on a charge work-up with a bit to spare beyond that likely to be there if needed.

Thanks Laurie (once again!) I'll start at 35 and work up in .5gr increments to a max of 37 which should easily cover my needs.

Hopefully I'll get to borrow a Chrono and get a better idea of how they perform but as we only have 2 more range dates before Xmas and I didn't get one of the first 15 Rugers that arrived I doubt I'll get a chance to play with it until next year :(

• 1 month later...

So far, in three or four cartridges, I've found that RS52 and VarGet use very similar loads. So that provides a starting point - nothing more as they cannot be treated as equivalents / substitutes. Hodgdon lists data for VarGet in the Creedmoor for the 140gn Hornady A-Max.

Neither powder would be my choice for this combination - too fast burning by a fair margin. The norm for this combination is Hodgdon H4350 and this is used in factory ammo, the stated load being Hornady case, F210M primer, 140gn A-Max at 2.800" COAL (provided the industry standard chamber and/or PT&G reamer chamber is used) and 41.9gn H4350.

VarGet (and RS52 too) will produce lower MVs than H4350 at maximum pressures. So far as the Reload Swiss range goes, I'd suggest RS62 a single-base tubular number with a similar burning rate to the 4350s. I've used it successfully in 6.5X47L and 6.5 Creedmoor. RS60 as suggested by Swarovski1 will give VERY high MVs in the cartridge, but at maximum loads will likely also produce VERY short barrel life.

I'm looking to start reloading for my 6.5 Creedmore RPR using Amax 140gr and taking Laurie's advice on RS62.

Initial loading will start at 41gr working up in 0.5gr increments to 43gr and then in 0.2 increments to 44gr, brass will be Hornady with Fed 201M primers.

Also I would like to test 123gr Amax - is RS62 also ok for this weight or should I be looking at another powder?

Any suggestions / guidance / comments appreciated.

I've not tried RS62 with 120-130gn weight bullets in the cartridge yet, but QuickLOAD suggests it should be suited to the application. RS52 will also work OK here, but 62 still looks the better match (in the model anyway). H. VarGet, Hornady's choice in the 120gn factory load doesn't look anything like as good.

If you fancy a ball powder, Hodgdon CFE223 and Ramshot Hunter both appear to be possibilities and would produce high MVs.

IMR and H4350 would be fine, the IMR version likely producing more velocity. Of the Viht powders, N150 seems a bit fast burning, N550 will do OK but is a 'hot burner', and N160 looks like it may produce good results but not as high velocities before getting into compressed loads with this bullet weight.

In any event there are a lot of powders that should exceed 2,900 fps in a 26-inch barrel, many that'll do 2,950 without straining anything and some that'll exceed 3,000 fps, but they're mostly double-based or 'high-energy' types.

Archived