Best height for a loading bench??

clivej

Got permission from the BOSS to put a worktop in the old garage, now a room off the kitchen, for a loading bench.
At present I use an office desk 30" high in the outside shed, with a 2" block of wood under the press to rise it up a little. I have a secretary's height adjustable chair to sit on.

What would be the best height to put the worktop? I'm thinking of going a little more than the 32" it is now, maybe 34"

Any idea's lads???

Clive,this is a refreshing angle on seating depth in home loading.

Individual heights and working comfort will vary.I raised table height with a modular system-old internal doors,cut in half,giving about an inch a layer...neater than blocks under the legs!

Agree-press a little higher,and someday I'll have an eye level shelf for the beam scale.

Meanwhile the secretary chair is a good idea..It is so important that your wife is comfortable when she takes on those super skilled jobs,like neck turning.

(if you mess up potato peeling,it might encourage her she should take over-but where might it end?...a new refurbished reloading room if you are lucky).Good luck with that!

g

Clive,

Have recently had to renew all my reloading gear and find the following very useful.

I sit at a desk all day so prefer to work standing.

I have a standard height work bench in the garage but then have an old TV stand/coffee table on top, this takes the height to around chest level.

It makes reading the beam scales really easy and I find the height really good when working the press.

I do not load the brass in a loading tray but take out individual cases and load them prior to putting them back in the tray and something I would recommend to everyone is to place the beam scales onto a piece of glass. Any spilt kernels of powder are easy to spot and put back in.

Cheers

Colin

My reloading bench is 28", Im six feet tall and a normal body shape.

I have my press bolted on at this height but I then have a riser platform for my scales so they are much nearer eye level. This might sound low but it makes operating the lever on the press very easy, at the bottom of its travel my arm is working through an efficient angle with not fatigue. I will take a picture once I tidy thing up ;)

• 2 weeks later...

My bench is set for use while standing. I hate sitting for long periods.

Plus 1. I have my bench set up for standing only. I find if you are sitting down at the press it is much harder to do- for me any way. I have mine set about 3 inches above waste height. I have my powder thrower on a stand which has the spout about 8 inches above the bench. It leaves you far more room to get the pan under it.

Archived