.17 recomendations

Personnally I would say the CZ I had one which performed very well indeed.

The CZ is great value for money and they shoot very well.

The Ruger for sure is more slick looking and the rotary mag is nice but a friend of mine has one in the varmint format and it doesn't shoot as well as the CZ and is almost double the price of the CZ.

I've seen posted on other forums about accuracy issues with the Ruger.

All in all my vote goes for a CZ in varmint format.

Cheers

Dave

I had a CZ in varmint format and in truth it shot as well as my anshutz which cost a whole lot more and am still wondering whether i should have bothered to upgrade.However I passed on the CZ to my Mrs so still have it around so to speak and when we go out bashing the CZ is the preferred rifle to take!We seem to shoot loads before a barrel clean is needed or suspected.I will recommend that if you go shopping for one check out the barrel crown for a concentric appearance as I have seen one or two in shops that are not very good at all and also check out as far as you can tell the action and barrel alignment especially that the machined in scope dovetail rails are in alignment with the action and barrel!!Sounds daft???believe me I had the opportunity to check out a few at one of our local gunshops and there are some rogue ones around.

On the other hand pay up and get an annie and you can forget about problems with quality control but crap piece of wood though and why mr anschutz cant get this to an acceptable grade for the money i dont know however the thumbhole ones arn,t too bad.Best of luck anyway sorry I cant speak for any other makes but Weihrach make quality kit and could also be worth a look. Not really pointed you in right direction have I???put it like this if dosh aint a problem get an Annie, job done.Regards Onehole.

I have a CZ in 22lr and i cant fault the rifle for price etc....looks like ill have to have a look arond and see what takes my fancy

hi

i had a ruger .17 and after hours and hours of messing with it,she started to shoot really well.

but i would not buy another,not when you can get a CZ for the price they are.

apparently sako quads shoot well and you can have the one rifle with 2 barrels,(just a thought)

ATB

Colin :D

I have a Sako quad varmint in 17hmr and 22, although considerably more expensive than the CZ, I would not hesitate to recommend one, they shoot very well and the build quality is excellent with no feed problems, I had a CZ in semi auto prior to the sako and must say it was an excellent bunny basher, however reliability was an issue.

Onehole is right though, make sure you look at a few in the shop, and don't feel you need to accept the first one they bring out, I asked how many they had in stock and asked to look at all four, the shop assistant wasn't too happy but believe me you will shoot more confidently knowing you picked the best on offer.

Hope this helps

Bees

One more vote for the CZ.

While the Ruger allows the ability to swap low cost, aftermarket barrels, (as I understand it) that's more or less moot in the UK (Correct?). The stock Ruger barrels don't tend to shoot on par with the CZ's, and I can only imagine what an aftermarket bbl must cost with all the "proofing" nonsense, VAT and other assorted costs required there.

I have both, and for the money, the CZ is the way to go IMHO.

Not knocking the Sako, but that's a lot of coin to drop on a concept that has been around for years...

Hi Andyb,

Have you checked out this forum's for sale pages. Tulkyuk has a Weihrauch HW60J in 17hmr for sale on behalf of a mate of his, comes complete with an MTC Viper 6-24 x 56mm scope, Sak sound moderator and 2 maybe 3 Mags. All this for £550 ono, now that's a bargain. The Weihrauch is a lovely piece of kit and will knock spots off any CZ or Ruger, its no Annie though.

Here's the link: http://ukvarminting.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3115

Grab a bargain fella, PM him for more details.

All the best in your quest,

Jay.

Hi Andyb,

Have you checked out this forum's for sale pages. Tulkyuk has a Weihrauch HW60J in 17hmr for sale on behalf of a mate of his, comes complete with an MTC Viper 6-24 x 56mm scope, Sak sound moderator and 2 maybe 3 Mags. All this for £550 ono, now that's a bargain. The Weihrauch is a lovely piece of kit and will knock spots off any CZ or Ruger, its no Annie though.

Jay.

I have asked him for a few pics of the said rifle....But its a bit of a trek for me as i live in sunderland and work in barrow-in-furness during the week....Ill see when he sends the pics to me what i am going to do

I have asked him for a few pics of the said rifle....But its a bit of a trek for me as i live in sunderland and work in barrow-in-furness during the week....Ill see when he sends the pics to me what i am going to do

I will go tonight (Bit of Foxing to do :ph34r: ) and take the pics, they should be up tomorrow

The Weihrauch is a lovely piece of kit and will knock spots off any CZ or Ruger, its no Annie though.

Jay.

your right Jay its not an Annie - The wood on the Weihrauch looks like a nice piece and not as if its come from an orange box :ph34r:

I'd seriously consider this HW60 that's on offer. I've never heard a bad word about them.

I shoot a CZ myself and I'm very happy with it. It's accurate and compact. If you don't like the Weihrauch then a CZ is a good buy too.

To buy all this kit new though would cost you a lot of money. If the HW60 is in good condition (which if tulky says it is, it will be) I'd say that would be your best bet. 1500 rounds is nothing for a HMR barrel, so there's more than enough life left in it.

Jus thought i'd put my tuppence worth into the pot..

I have a Sako quad with .22lr and .17hmr barrels. The .17 barrel will shoot sub 1" groups at 200yds all day regardless of ammo brand.

My only crib is that i cant fit the varminter barrel to my action. Whether the varminter barrel would improve an already excellent rifle is open to conjecture..

SakoQuad.jpg

i have the annie the bolt and trigger is super on it. if you want to spend the cash then get the annie with the thubhole stock its lovely. saying that i have a cz in 22lr and its spot on if i was on the look out for a soild well built rifle with top accuracy

and wanted to save a couple of bob then the cz is the one to get. varmint barrel rifles look better imo but in accuracy terms it dont matter if you have the standard barrel or varmint heavy barrel on the hmr. there accuracy will be the same as the barrels barely heat up on a rimfire so accuracy will stay the same.

most people pick heavy barrel ones as they look nicer i think and because they like the extra weight in a rifle :lol:

Jus thought i'd put my tuppence worth into the pot..

I have a Sako quad with .22lr and .17hmr barrels. The .17 barrel will shoot sub 1" groups at 200yds all day regardless of ammo brand.

My only crib is that i cant fit the varminter barrel to my action. Whether the varminter barrel would improve an already excellent rifle is open to conjecture..

I'd like to see that.~Andrew

I have to second the opinion on the CZs. I shoot the CZ varmint and have done so for the last 4 years. It needed some attention on the crown but once that was sorted the gun has been faultlessly accurate (whilst not achieving sub-1' groups at 200yrds) and has presented no quirks. I did change the trigger to a RifleBasix one (or was it Timney... can't remember. What i can remember was that it cost me the princely sum of £12), and that did make a lot of difference.

At the time when I was deciding what to buy, I had a word with Bruce Potts in the Midland Game Fair. the question was should I buy the Anschutz? he said 'don't. It won't shoot better than the CZ and you can spend the difference on the scope.' Wise words: my CZ wears a VXIII LR 4.5-14x40 and kills as good as any other!

So, even though I am sure the Weirauch is great (and I wish someone made one lefthanded...) and so is the Anschutz, in my opinion, the CZ offers an unbeatable proposition. Particularly these days when you can buy them with set triggers as well. As for Ruger, Marlin and Savage....I know a bin where they can go!

best wishes,

Finman

I have to second the opinion on the CZs. I shoot the CZ varmint and have done so for the last 4 years. It needed some attention on the crown but once that was sorted the gun has been faultlessly accurate (whilst not achieving sub-1' groups at 200yrds) and has presented no quirks. I did change the trigger to a RifleBasix one (or was it Timney... can't remember. What i can remember was that it cost me the princely sum of £12), and that did make a lot of difference.

At the time when I was deciding what to buy, I had a word with Bruce Potts in the Midland Game Fair. the question was should I buy the Anschutz? he said 'don't. It won't shoot better than the CZ and you can spend the difference on the scope.' Wise words: my CZ wears a VXIII LR 4.5-14x40 and kills as good as any other!

So, even though I am sure the Weirauch is great (and I wish someone made one lefthanded...) and so is the Anschutz, in my opinion, the CZ offers an unbeatable proposition. Particularly these days when you can buy them with set triggers as well. As for Ruger, Marlin and Savage....I know a bin where they can go!

best wishes,

Finman

I am left handed but all my rifles ar right handed i recentlytried shooting a left handed bolt action gun and and found it very difficult as i have only ever fired right handed rifles probably due to cost and availability i suppose

Andy

I am left handed but all my rifles ar right handed i recentlytried shooting a left handed bolt action gun and and found it very difficult as i have only ever fired right handed rifles probably due to cost and availability i suppose

Andy

Hi Andy,

i have a mixture: 5 lefthanded and 4 righthanded. I have to say that once you get used to the left handed ones, the right handed become a chore. Plus the fact the damn stocks are set up for right handed folk and they rarely fit, particularly if they have a cheekpiece. thankfully the CZ varmint has a true ambi stock so I have no problems with that one at all.

best wishes,

Finman

I am a big fan of CZ's but I do own a couple/few Marlin 22WMR's, a Savage Striker 22WMR, and a pair of Ruger 77's. They all shoot well. The Rugers have been barreled with Green Mountain barrels. Both are 17HMR and will shoot with anything out there. Starting from scratch, I'd buy a CZ.~Andrew

Hi , i have a 1517d ansultz,,

Smallest group to date

11-02-06_1338.jpg

I must say that i have fallen in love with this little 17 hmr and now i take it out most nights?

Rabbits ,foxes you name it and this little gun will shoot it

04-06-07_2154.jpg

Only but for the price of the ammo!!! it nocks the that which promotes growth and vigour out of a .22rf any day

All the best F2n :lol:

Archived