Custom Browning.

Not something you see every day. A fully tricked out "A" bolt Browning.

The customer wanted a faster twist barrel to start with and it ...sort of ran away with itself...... :lol:

IMG_1015_zpsoyxawtmp.jpg

Its been fitted with a Sassen 1 in 8" twist fluted blank in Rem varmint profile. Screwcut 18mm x 1 and invisible capped.

IMG_1018_zpspoddhpxc.jpg

The trigger resprung and tuned for a lighter let-off and all the metalwork including the floor plate, guard etc done in Ceracoat Armour black.

IMG_1021_zps8chvmm5d.jpg

The bolt was then machined to accept a badger style knob.

IMG_1022_zpseln3ycyo.jpg

All this was then fully bedded into a GRS stock.

A challenging and different build, which I enjoyed immensely.

IMG_1017_zpsfmy88qwu.jpg

hi lovely browning my mate has one in 223 rem its a tack driver, it really is and he,s packing shooting in, its for sale its has been reworked nice trigger original t hole stock and a pcnor stainless match barrel heavy varmint fluted and its going cheap if only I had more room in my cabinet dave.

These rifles are unlike any other .

The tenon thread is an obscure metric pitch for a start [ i forget exactly what it is ] Its very fine and great care in disassembly is needed.

The action is a strange shape causing wrenching difficulty.

The stock took six months almost as its not a stock item.

bedding it was an experience.

Action screw threads are 1/4" x 20 tpi meaning proprietry bedding wrenches don't fit. One-offs had to be made.

The bolt geometry doesn't fit any jig, again a problem that had to surmounted to fit a knob.

All things that probably doubled the build time on the gun, and simply aren't charged for. I treat them as experience and that is priceless in my view. I enjoy the learning curve as you are never too old to learn something new.

For " challenging " read, Fun. :)

Not something you see every day. A fully tricked out "A" bolt Browning.

The customer wanted a faster twist barrel to start with and it ...sort of ran away with itself...... :lol:

Its been fitted with a Sassen 1 in 8" twist fluted blank in Rem varmint profile. Screwcut 18mm x 1 and invisible capped.

The trigger resprung and tuned for a lighter let-off and all the metalwork including the floor plate, guard etc done in Ceracoat Armour black.

The bolt was then machined to accept a badger style knob.

All this was then fully bedded into a GRS stock.

A challenging and different build, which I enjoyed immensely.

Nice , Is the old stock available ? a mate is looking for one , 30-06 , sporter barrel .

nice rifle but ,,,22.250? neither fish nor fowl each to his own :)

In my eyes it's a very versatile caliber from corvids right through to small deer!!!

Not really into shooting chickens or fish I tend to go to my local supermarket if I want either of those.?

nice rifle but ,,,22.250? neither fish nor fowl each to his own :)

Banus,I'm rather with Munkjack on the fish/fowl issues,though have done both-Tesco actually do a good job ,delivering too....

But more seriously,as someone with pest control,and longer range shooting interests,it might be informative to hear your reasons for this very luke warm appreciation of the 22/250 cartridge......I have never owned one,having 222s and lusting for a Middlestead for years,which never materialised,so got a 243-but lost several years of potential 22/250 pleasure....or did I not? :-)

gbal

good morning, my reason for my comment is that 22/250 does not have any major improvement over a 223rem and .243win and the .243win will out perfom the 22.250 on every level .ie it wil use 55gr up to 105gr and wil kill any legal quarry in the uk ,I have friends who use the 22/250 as that's what their issued rifle is but many by choice use 223rem for small pests and fox and as they do not shoot deer do not wish for anything larger and other who do shoot deer and fox choose the .243 as their alround rifle.in my opinion the 22/250 and the 270 sit between calibers but as I said each to their own my own choice is 223rem for feathered pest 55gr vmax at 3117 fps and 243win for four legged quarry 87gr vmax at 3000fps does the job very well.

Banus,thank you-in many ways we agree-I used a 222 (223 was an upstart newcomer,and worse stil obsoleted the 222Rem mag) for suitable quarry to 250y,and classic 243 (old standard twist) for medium quarry/ranges. Still do. The 22/250 was often the desired upgrade for keepers (1970s,Borders) whose use resembled your description and/or had access to an estate rifle,often 243.

All very well and good,still is. But the 22/250 offered 50 yards at least over the 222 class,and still does.The 243 often would not stabilise bullets over 95g-but didn't need to,though a bit marginal for large reds, and 55g were not available in 243-they are now,with the faster twist 243s-and this transforms the 243,and of course makes my Middlestead desire obsolete-and the 22/250 is better in the same way.But with one exception-there seems to be no long range high BC bullet that is effective on small quarry for the 243-no A max in a word-so that there is a very good case for the fast twist( it's allowed to get better too!) 22/250 which is so provided,as an effective longer ranger-it all could change of course-the 243 has to win out,if the appropriate bullet becomes available.

OK,as you say each to the tool that fits his/her purpose-though no one tool will really do it all optimally (7x57 for big beasts)-though the 270 is a very fine cartridge ( not it's fault that it's been touted as 'flat shooting'-well,they all are over stalking distances of 200y !)

But the 22/250 in modern guise is still a very competent no fuss/frills cartridge-and would be a very fine choice for the varminter,who needed a bit more range,and maybe roe in Scotland.If legalities permit,the new 243 does it all bettter,of course-though overkill on 100y feathers.

Shooting fish was always more about water refraction and reflection ,though in a barrel it hardly mattered,and a net was superior anyhow.

As ever,horses for courses: 'differences of opinion are what make for horse races,folks'-as the great Warren Page (222 AND 243 pioneer) always said. :-)

gbal

Archived