IOR Crusader 5.8-40 scope

Triumph045

:wub: I have one and love it..... At a recent Nightforce demo i had an opportunity to view their hi spec products and i was massively disappointed compared to the IOR. The IOR has large crisp turrets, good magnification..moa/moa, FFP with plenty of travel, a rugged build quality and all at a fantastic price compared with the opposition, If you cannot afford to purchase outright some traders offer the option of interest free credit so why not be different?

These scopes are now £500 cheaper than the price i paid due to the poorer Euro exchange rate :( ....GRAB A BARGAIN.

Some people have said that the 40mm mounts are a problem with limited availability. My scope came with IOR low two piece mounts included however. Weight has also been said to be a problem; why if your shooting a heavy barrelled varmint gun predominantly prone? Its not a problem to me.

Richard Utting "Sharpshooting UK" couldn't believe the quality of my scope compared to his own older IOR (9-36 i believe) and decided to extensively review the 5.8-40 crusader and some others from within their current range.

I'm a very satisfied customer of IOR so far and wouldn't hesitate to recommend IOR to others.

These scopes are a viable alternative to the S&B, Nightforce et al which themselves have not proved to be perfect....however "I suppose its each to their own" ...

I was that impressed with IOR, i bought a second smaller one 6-24x50 SFP, that again has a lot of the features of the Crusader, slightly lesser quality in the glass quality IMO but at sub £1000 you cannot go wrong, mounts on this are 35mm and will need to be purchased additionally.

Apparently it could be the best scope in the world?

That is a difficult claim to make as everyone looks for something different in scopes ie; rets, magnification, weight, overall length optical glass quality, budget etc.

As Richard says the manual and box is crap....but they are purely there to catch the buyers eye, ive seen other manufacturers of scopes go to fancy boxes to sell their wares which stay in the loft forevermore once opened, oh except on resale of the scope cos the optics are so poor.

These IOR's are a damn good scope which i'm privileged to own..."The best scope in the world?"....Who knows the answer to that question....make your own judgement after you have used one.

SS,how does the novel position focus system work,compared to the old really awkward end of objetive,and the newer left side of central saddle ones?

gbal

Hello...To be honest the ranges that i fire at the adjustment is minimal and the ranges are listed fairly close with an infinity too. I tend to adjust the eyebell more, reach is not overly far despite the size of the scope, mine is a little stiff still for tip of finger adjustment as its not overly worn but it is not uncomfortable to use. I too hated the objective adjustment on various scopes and found i was constantly readjusting to find the happy balance. This works well for me.

PS. The IOR 6-24 has the conventional third "turret" for focus.

M

I don't have any experience with the Crusader, but I do own the IOR 4-28x50 Recon and it's superb.

The turrets and elevation range is fantastic.

Optics are as good as any out there by my eyes.

Build quality is excellent.

Zero stop is basic, but it works.

Front focus is unusual but again it works very well. The recon will focus down to 8m at full mag.

Yes it's heavy, but it's relative to the type of scope and it's intended use.

The 40mm tube isn't a problem as the scope come with rings, although I swapped mine in for a Spuhr mount.

All round any of the IOR's are excellent value with the good exchange rate. I'm already looking at swapping a Vortex on another rifle for a second IOR.

Hello...To be honest the ranges that i fire at the adjustment is minimal and the ranges are listed fairly close with an infinity too. I tend to adjust the eyebell more, reach is not overly far despite the size of the scope, mine is a little stiff still for tip of finger adjustment as its not overly worn but it is not uncomfortable to use. I too hated the objective adjustment on various scopes and found i was constantly readjusting to find the happy balance. This works well for me.

PS. The IOR 6-24 has the conventional third "turret" for focus.

Thanks ,surfer- I'm not sure I'd really trade 'side focus' for this intermediate objective system,even if it were a tad sharper,but for a long range rifle,you are soon into infinity anyhow-otherwise the 12-50 looks like a terrific long range scope ,with good reticule -don't need choice if the your favourite colour happens to be black! (cant see any use -to me- for sub 10x mag on a rifle used for ranges beyond 100y..or even at 100y!) but there is a decent range from IOR,with of course corespondingly magnified prices-still looks competitive though on almost all criteria

g

M

• 3 weeks later...

Do IOR have a distributer in the UK? I know border barrels did carry them in the past. Anyone else pick up the mantel?

I priced them on Opticstrade EU but they seem pricey. They're looking £200 more than Swillington for a Kahles k1050.

I'd have thought with the weak Euro prices would be a lot cheaper. Cheers guys.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the feedback boys. Sorry about the delay in responding but I've been busy playing with the new ior crusader, absolutely awesome, so much so I brought a 6x24 as well. Both scopes are ffp, moa moa, and both preformed faultlessly in wet and windy Wales

at over 1000mts. Great value for money, can't recommend them highly enough.

• 6 months later...

Thanks for all the feedback boys. Sorry about the delay in responding but I've been busy playing with the new ior crusader, absolutely awesome, so much so I brought a 6x24 as well. Both scopes are ffp, moa moa, and both preformed faultlessly in wet and windy Wales

at over 1000mts. Great value for money, can't recommend them highly enough.

Hi

I am looking at getting one for target shooting. I do not know if it's best to go for the crusader in ffp or to go for the terminator in the second plane. What would you recommend.

As it is when you are looking for something both of the scopes are out of stock and I cannot find any other seller other than optic. Dose anyone know of any other sellers of IRO scopes.

Andy

Hi

I am looking at getting one for target shooting. I do not know if it's best to go for the crusader in ffp or to go for the terminator in the second plane. What would you recommend.

As it is when you are looking for something both of the scopes are out of stock and I cannot find any other seller other than optic. Dose anyone know of any other sellers of IRO scopes.

Andy

Just so you are aware i asked Optics warehouse if they were due any MOA/MOA versions of the Crusader back in stock as i wanted another....Unfortunately the MOA was not due back; all that was on the workbenches at IOR were MRAD as the US were now changing...

Andy,

Try optics-trade.eu - They have the moa/moa version listed on their website, although that doesn't necessarily mean they have them in stock. If they do, ask them if they will price match opticswarehouse

Andy,

Try optics-trade.eu - They have the moa/moa version listed on their website, although that doesn't necessarily mean they have them in stock. If they do, ask them if they will price match opticswarehouse

Mil/Mil are also listed in Norway, however i would wait for Optics Warehouse next batch if i wanted Mil/Mil, as they are cheaper:

http://-.no/ior-crusader-5-8-40x56-ffp-ccw-mil-mil-illuminated.html

• 1 month later...

I was so lucky and bought the Crusader in January 2016 in MOA/MOA version. My first IOR scope and I wasn't sure of my choice because some of my shooting buddies had the older IOR scopes and they had many problems with it. So I was only hoping I'll be more lucky.

Put the scope on my 7mm-08 ( I received with the scope some massive 6 screw 40mm rings with no brand but solid as rock - maybe some luck :-) ) and I'm very happy with it. I have/had some other top scopes (Premier Reticles, Zeiss...) so I was little skeptical of IOR. Now I know it was one of my best purchasings.

When the dealer told me that they are producing only the MIL/MIL version I was sad. Hope they will make some more MOA scopes later.

I needed other scope so I ordered March 5-40x56 which I mounted few days ago. You know what? I'm little bit afraid to go to the shooting range because have some concern if the March will be as good as the Crusader....

howaior_small.jpg

I have a couple of mates who have IOR scopes.

I think they are the one down from the crusader.

Personally the reticle is too thick for precision target work and the glass isn't as clear as I would have liked. They are both extremely happy with them and they would definitely buy them again. However for me they don't come anywhere near to the Nightforce NXS or ATACR.

I have a couple of mates who have IOR scopes.

I think they are the one down from the crusader.

Personally the reticle is too thick for precision target work and the glass isn't as clear as I would have liked. They are both extremely happy with them and they would definitely buy them again. However for me they don't come anywhere near to the Nightforce NXS or ATACR.

Wow....???? Tunnelling on the ATACR at low power is horrendous; for target work buy a IOR terminator its 2nd focal plane.

The only Nightforce i would be happy with at present is the 15-55x52 competition. The performance of this scope was far better than any others on display at the recent Nightforce demo day at my local club but at £2100+ its more expensive than both top model IOR's. They didnt have a beast on display but they did last year and i have to say i was'nt impressed with that either; especially given the price of those units.

http://nightforceoptics.com/competition/15-55x52

Having just moved from a Nightforce ATACR 5-26x56 to a Kahles K1050 MOAK, I'm gobsmacked by the anti-Nightforce twaddle posted above by "Mr IOR-lover". It's interesting to note that those who have bought IOR optics bang on about them ad-infinitum, but no-one else seems to. Just look at the popularity of Nightforce in comparison to IOR, what does that tell you?

If you don't mind poor finish, agricultural looks/build quality and excessive weight then I guess IOR is OK for you, but I prefer the refinement offered by the like of S&B, Nightforce, Kahles etc. - BTW I used my ATACR at all magnification ranges and had no problems with "tunnelling".

I'm not anti-IOR, if I thought they were better than Nightforce or other premium optics then I would buy one ... ... ... but I don't, sorry.

Having just moved from a Nightforce ATACR 5-26x56 to a Kahles K1050 MOAK, I'm gobsmacked by the anti-Nightforce twaddle posted above by "Mr IOR-lover". It's interesting to note that those who have bought IOR optics bang on about them ad-infinitum, but no-one else seems to. Just look at the popularity of Nightforce in comparison to IOR, what does that tell you?

If you don't mind poor finish, agricultural looks/build quality and excessive weight then I guess IOR is OK for you, but I prefer the refinement offered by the like of S&B, Nightforce, Kahles etc. - BTW I used my ATACR at all magnification ranges and had no problems with "tunnelling".

I'm not anti-IOR, if I thought they were better than Nightforce or other premium optics then I would buy one ... ... ... but I don't, sorry.

I suggest a personal insult is not called for and for the record i own scopes other than IOR. so may i suggest you crawl back under your stone....

Tunnelling.....

Explain this please

The ior does sound really good but as all the top end scopes there is nothing in them.theyre all good.baldie said the mk4 leupold was the worst scope he has owned.something about not being edge to edge image.ive tried mine at all ranges and mine is perfect.

I currently own or have recently owned S&B; Kahles, Swarovski, Nightforce, Minox, Vortex and Zeiss. I'll disregard the Zeiss as it's a 28yo 6x42, otherwise apart from the Vortex which is a Diamondback 4-12x40 AO in my .22 Anschütz, all are good - the S&Bs date from 1989 and 1990 respectively and for fixed/low-powered scopes (8x56 & 6x42) are still good for stalking.

I really rate the Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56 which I sold last week, my two Swarovskis (PV-S 6-24x50PL & Z6 3-18x50BTL), Kahles K1050 MOAK which I have just acquired and my son's Nightforce Benchrest 8-32x56.

We have a couple of Minox scopes (ZA5 3-15x50SF & Minox ZA5 4-20x50SF) which aren't bad at all - my son used the Minox ZA5 4-20x50SF on his .223 before getting the Nightforce Benchrest.

Have I owned any scopes giving poorer results - yes a Vortex Viper 6-24x50 PST, IMO it just didn't deliver.

No, I haven't owned an IOR nor would I buy one as they are at present, but that's not to say I wouldn't if they'd bring their products up to the standard or other European makers.

Archived