Do I HMR or not.

Raifuru

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps consider keeping both if can as each has its pros and cons on rabbits.

Iv got a semi auto .22 I can use ... think iv eventually got the range of calibres im happy with ( at least for now lol )

.22lr semi

.17HMR bolt

.223 straight pull

6.5x47 bolt

lets see how long it lasts before I want another !

It wont be long :lol: btw is the straight pull a target or field gun out of interest ?

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the 17hmr when they first came out. I ditched it after 6 months. It seemed a pig in the wind and consistency was an issue. I figured if I'm going to make a noise, I might as well do it with a calibre that will put the bullet where I want it.

Like many today I use the venerable 22lr out to 120yds (on a good day) when I can dial it in off the top of the Landy. I find Eley Tennex really consistent at the longer range, but being solid you need to watch for ricoche's. However, mostly it's used at night with NV for head shooting rabbits for sale. I tend to keep the range down to 75 yds or so, that way it's pretty much a cert. The 223 gets used beyond that. It just removes the head (which I do anyway) and you can sit up way back from the rabbits so they don't consider you a threat even if they know you're there. To my ears it's about the same noise as the 17 Hmr without the hassle.

Atb

I've had my problems with click bangs and split necks, I now inspect every round before I take the gun out...

Saying all of that, since checking for split necks, I have had no problems.. I shoot on my own so I'd notice a squib..

I wouldn't be without the 17 HMR it just fits the bill.. I don't want to be scratting in the grass for CF brass, especially if I'm shooting maybe 50 rounds in an evening..

E

It's difficult to judge noise from the shooters perspective. I thought my .17 fireball was not a lot louder than my hmr. My shooting pal was zeroing his hmr,.17 hornet and .223 last weekend. From 300/400yds away, the noise from both centerfires was a lot louder. All were moderated.

• 1 month later...

I've had my problems with click bangs and split necks, I now inspect every round before I take the gun out...

Saying all of that, since checking for split necks, I have had no problems.. I shoot on my own so I'd notice a squib..

I wouldn't be without the 17 HMR it just fits the bill.. I don't want to be scratting in the grass for CF brass, especially if I'm shooting maybe 50 rounds in an evening..

E

Thats how i feel, Go for a nights outing, which gun to take, with HMR if you run across a few fields full of rabbits

that great, If a fox comes into range, thats OK too

Center fire, are you really going to lug 100 rounds around, plus find all the empties.

I dont often get more than 40 shots a night, but its a b...r when you run out of ammo

and the targets still keep coming

Archived