17 hornet pb

soother223

This caliber and magpies go together very well lol. Well done , sniping maggies is the best , for me anyway , its soo challenging

Soother223 -

What load are you using ??

and what's your zero distance ??

I've only just started to use mine, so I'm still playing with setting it up really ..

Cheers

Al.

I have mine zeroed at 200 yds. Using homeloads 10.5grains of 120 over a rem 7.5 with a 20 grain vmax. not the fastest! especially as my shooter only has a 18" barrel but it's really accurate!

I have mine zeroed at 200 yds. Using homeloads 10.5grains of 120 over a rem 7.5 with a 20 grain vmax. not the fastest! especially as my shooter only has a 18" barrel but it's really accurate!

soother what are you calling accurate ?i'm out trying a couple of 1680 loads today in mine.n120 keeps popping up so i might have to give it a try.

soother what are you calling accurate ?i'm out trying a couple of 1680 loads today in mine.n120 keeps popping up so i might have to give it a try.

A ragged one hole group at 100 yds with 5 rounds.

I shot at a gong with it last year just out of interest... at 300 yds I could prety nuch cover my group with a £2 coin. Like I say though it's not the fastest! And I did play with seating depth, To the point I had to modify my magazine slightly to accommodate the rounds! I can recall the testing session and i remember watching the group's shrink steadily until as I reached the sweet spot of their OAL then zap! The group was so small any further testing would have been fruitless! Made another batch at home that evening and replicated the results the following day.

Thanks guys!

It's just so easy to shoot!

Does make me wonder what a rem would be like to shoot...

what I like about it mostly is its nice and quiet as well as devastatingly accurate!

The 17rem is a joy to shoot-quite loud though.Recoil in negligible-crosshairs barely twitch. Accuracy is seldom at the highest level,ie sub1/4 moa considtently (very few of anything are that consistent!).

The issue with shots beyond say 275-300 yards is wind- with a ten mile per hour wind the 20/25 g 17 rem launched bullet at 4250/4040 fps has dropped/drifted 5/11.5 inches at 300,and 15/23 at 400y....the latter especially means hits at that distance in such wind are unlikely to be very consistent,unless wind reading is exceptional ( BC of course is very poor).204Ruger 32g is 13/19 at 400.

The 17H must suffer even more so....but I have no field experience of it...."PB"s really need a score out of at least ten shots-which means gongs only,to me-and small gongs,size given.

300y is a very decent distance, for such a small cartridge-totally outclasses the old Hornet loads,but 400 is an exaggeration too far,I suspect-unless walked in with no wind-or multiple misses,also.

gbal

Can't wait till I get mine.should have ticket through any day

Enjoy.

In the 17 rem,remember you're getting often spectacular small varmint performance,with minimal recoil and therefore a great view,but you are not getting range commensurate with the initial impressive MVs-BC is a very low .185 and it soon shows....(well 300y+,but that is reached pdq !).NO point in hot loading- pressures rise alarmingly,you risk bullet disintegration 75 y out,and the fps is shed just as fast as the first 4000 !! Still a super cartidge,in it's proper envelope.

The 17H will be (considerably) shorter range,but similar flavour.

g

A ragged one hole group at 100 yds with 5 rounds.

I shot at a gong with it last year just out of interest... at 300 yds I could prety nuch cover my group with a £2 coin. Like I say though it's not the fastest! And I did play with seating depth, To the point I had to modify my magazine slightly to accommodate the rounds! I can recall the testing session and i remember watching the group's shrink steadily until as I reached the sweet spot of their OAL then zap! The group was so small any further testing would have been fruitless! Made another batch at home that evening and replicated the results the following day.

wow.thats why i asked.many guys seem happy with half moa and to be honest that is the best i have had from mine hence back out today.

wow.thats why i asked.many guys seem happy with half moa and to be honest that is the best i have had from mine hence back out today.

Indeed-many rifles won't shoot any better consistently....better news is that they don't need to..

Within say an moa size target,a WEZ/Litz analysis will show that hit % (and at distance-relative to cartridge/target size it will be %-ie misses too), factors like 1/2 improved to 1/4 moa groups,or 10 rather than 20 fps SD,etc etc have really vary small effects-like less than 5 more hits per hundred shots) compared to the serious limiters (poor wind reading,cartridge being stretched too far,imperfect ranging----these can make misses more likely than hits,often much, much more likely....).

Even with a pretty hopeless 20% hit rate of course,some will get lucky and get three hits......but not often !!

gbal

gbal

hi ive shot 17 rem for 25 years and enjoyed every shot its a great 300 yd,r on small vermin but ive taken crows and maggy,s at plus 400 yds in the right conditions fox are a different matter 200-250yds in the right conditions and at present the choice of bullets are great I use 25 gr berger,s if you use your 17 for what it was made for and do your homework it will never let you down if you want to shoot farther get a bigger calibre dave. enjoy

I'm using

20gr v max

Rem 7 1/2 primer

9.7 gr Lil Gun

Oal = max mag size

Out of my CZ American with MAE mod , I get gongs of 1 1/4" at 100m easy .. If anything I think user error ( set trigger ) has more to do with poor performance rather than the riffle

I do want to try the Hogdons H4831 to see, or if any one has info using it ?!?

Indeed-many rifles won't shoot any better consistently....better news is that they don't need to..

Within say an moa size target,a WEZ/Litz analysis will show that hit % (and at distance-relative to cartridge/target size it will be %-ie misses too), factors like 1/2 improved to 1/4 moa groups,or 10 rather than 20 fps SD,etc etc have really vary small effects-like less than 5 more hits per hundred shots) compared to the serious limiters (poor wind reading,cartridge being stretched too far,imperfect ranging----these can make misses more likely than hits,often much, much more likely....).

Even with a pretty hopeless 20% hit rate of course,some will get lucky and get three hits......but not often !!

gbal

gbal

yeh totally agree but when working up a load you can just feel it if its playing.looking for pattern and consistancy.with 1680 the speed is awesome but that don't interest me.closing down that group is good for my confidence in the field.the 1680 shot a great group but on retest with 5 shots the reliability is not there. half moa 5 shot is great yes but i need to try n120 as it keeps croping up.even if its still .50 but a more even spread group that would be ok.the 1680 tends to put three in one group 2 in another lol.

Can't wait till I get mine.should have ticket through any day

Hi , what have ye gone for 17 horny? Don't think youll be disapointed if you have .

I'm using

20gr v max

Rem 7 1/2 primer

9.7 gr Lil Gun

Oal = max mag size

Out of my CZ American with MAE mod , I get gongs of 1 1/4" at 100m easy .. If anything I think user error ( set trigger ) has more to do with poor performance rather than the riffle

I do want to try the Hogdons H4831 to see, or if any one has info using it ?!?

Hi Treetop

Is there anywhere in Essex that has 7.5 rem primers. My local rfd has failed to get any for over 6 months.

neil.

• 5 months later...

Been out this afternoon for a stroll. Now I've had several crows up to 300 yds with this little hornet. Today I finally breached the barrier with a 321yd Maggie! I love this little round!

How you getting one with the Hornet buddy?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah still performing well! Been a little busy lately and every day I have off seems to be blowing like hell!

Should be giving it some action over next few weeks all being well...

It's really given me the bug for 17 cal! Really fancy a furball but can't justify it!

Archived