The holy grail

The Mcmillan choice for me concerns me. Its not the money aspect but performance as i mentioned up at the shop i dont like painted stocks no matter how thick the paints slapped on..

Mcmillan are painted..

The Remington stock is moulded out of one material and will stand more knocks than any other fancy painted heap of shite :D

It also has alloy mounting blocks just like many other custom stocks so a secure fit wont be a problem.

Spragg phoned me today and said that the two picture`s that i posted were indeed ADL stocks..

But Remington fit a bottom floor plate synthetic stock to there 700 stainless synthetic..

vim

MC do both molded in and painted, the molded in is the one you would need,

Colin :D

The oal of a 140 grain head, with a wide variety of powders, is 2.780" in .260, which is under the average length of a .308 at 2.80" firing a 178 grain head, and theres room to spare with that cartridge, so there shouldn,t be any bother with 129 heads.

Nowhere on remingtons site, can i find a fully synthetic stock. The LVSF is fitted with a composite stock [fibreglass] like most other remmy,s . The nearest to it, is the 700xcr stock, which is synthetic, but has hogue rubber sections at the grip, and forend.

I may have missed it, but i cant find a current rifle wearing a stock like this, in their current trade lists, or their website. Give me a link to it buddy, and i,ll do my best, but i cant get you what doesn,t exist anymore.

An oal of 2.780 is so that the cartridge will fit into a short action,which is how manufacturers sell the 260.I have looked at the bullet length of the 129sst that vim gave me and to seat it to the base of the neck and not lose any case capacity then the loaded oal needs to be around 3.100" which will never in a million years fit into a short action.To get the oal you mention for the 129sst then the bullet will be seated way below the start of the shoulder and actually into the case body.

Martyn,

The round loaded to an OAL of 3.100" should fit into the short action but wont fit the magbox.

Problems may arise when you need to eject a live round, it is quite possible that it will not turn out of the ejection port thus neccesitating the removal of the bolt and round through the back of the action.

Ian.

and here is one more to throw in to the equation, i have just got of the phone with MC Milan, (as i need a stock for myself)

and i inquired about the ultra light, it looks like they don't do one in molded in colour, so thats the light weight out the window.

baldie when you called this post the holy grail you where not kidding was you, :D:D

Colin :D

Can't wait to see the end result. :D

Vim have you gone soft, i mean your thinking along the lines as us weird folk now going all Custom jobbie, you don't have to go to all that to impress us :D;):D:D

(getting worried now, what with your avatar ;);) )

Vermincinerator,i agree the round loaded to an oal of 3.100" will fit into the short action no bother what i should have said is it would have to be used as a single shot as it wont mag feed.Vim in a long action there is basically no difference between the swede and a 260,since you are set up for the swede i would stick with that.Im sure Baldie will steer you along the right path though,he knows his onions and wont see you with an unsuitable rifle.

Buy a .308 and stop being a bitch! :lol:

I,ve just dug a box of hornady 129 sst,s out, and if one is loaded to the front of the cannelure, and the case is trimmed to the saami spec of 2.035" it gives a loaded round of 2.835", i am going to check on thursday if that will go in a short action magazine. The loads in the book, only list one compressed charge [at max] for the 129 bullets, listing 12 different powders.

If you want a long action, its no problem, we have them.Downsides are , a longer bolt throw, an action that is less stiff, and generally believed to be less accurate [ dont know whether i believe that], and a smaller selection of aftermarket stocks, virtually guaranteeing you will have to go mcmillan etc.

The work is now on hold, untill all this has been thrashed out, and you are happy.

If you want a 6.5x55, it involves more work, it needs the bolt face opening out, and a sako extractor fitting, and it has to be on a long action.

buy a large ice cream tikka. :lol:

hi

MC Milan say there sporter stocks come in at about 2 to 2 1/4 lbs but you can ask them to make it a bit lighter, they will shave a bit of weight here and there (may be JR will know the ins and outs of it)

i think waiting times are running about 14 or 16 weeks, i will let you know when i get confirmation, (as i have stuff on order)

i have a couple ready for shipping next week, one has taken 20 weeks, (the time quoted) if it comes then.

Colin :lol:

The Howa action is a Sako/Remmy 700 hybred action (the best of both) Bell and Carlson and Wild dog do a light stock for one, that would be my choice of action over a Remmy. A number of lads have them on here and other sites.

B-b

Vim, I handled a Howa 1500 the other day and have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Had a boyds lam stock on it (standard fit) and handled really nicely. Don't think you could go wrong for the money really.

Z

The howa,s are very nice, but to the best of my knowledge, Brian Fox has never been able to get a 6.5x55 into the country, give him a ring and ask.

Archived