The holy grail

Vim, and his sister :) came up today, to discuss his new cannon.Here goes.

Decided he liked the remmy action, no problem, so its a bluprinted remmy to start with, and we will put a tubb lug on too.Going with a rifle basic lv1 trigger to. Then we hit the wall. :) A pss/varmint barrel is too heavy, and the standard sporter too thin, but looking at borders prospectus, it would seem, that their varmint lite, falls between these two, so i,m thinking this would be spot on, any thoughts JR? It will be 22" long, an Archer, and fluted.

Stocks are also a problem.Vim doesn,t like the wilddogs, or the feel of the hogue.Wood is out, for practical day to day use, and mcmillan are too heavy. That leaves staffordshire stocks, who do a straight remington copy , but its glass fibre, so will scratch, and thats also no good. Vim says he,s seen a standard remmy with a synthetic stock, with chequered panels, which looks like the same plastic , the sps stock is made from, but reckons its was on an ADL which is now discontinued, and replaced by the cdl.

Weight is the issue here, hence the plastic stock.Suggestions on a postcard please :)

Well, you could look at Manners - they do a lightweight model.

Personally, I would stay away from the SPS Rem stock too flexible.

What action length is the rifle to be?

Short action Andy, .260 rem. Wont be using the sps buddy.Have you a link to the manners liteweight please?

You can ask McMillan to do a light fill in the stock and perhaps medium around the action this should help with weight.Tell him to stop being so soft, a thick hoddy should be able to carry a heavy rifle :)

Vim,s seen this stock, and likes it very much, but i think he,s under the impression it,s a nylon, or plastic stock, and i would say its fibreglass, not having seen one, and then of course, there is mcmillan,s legendary waiting list. This rifle needs to be finished inside 4 months.Only thing i can do is ring round and see if anyone has one, pete jackson, or russ gall maybe. Altering the barrel channel is no problem at all, if there,s enough meat there, it will fit. :)

hi Dave

might be able to lay my hands on a ADL or a H S precision BDL and may have access to a Robertsons black & gray if it comes, and the same for a H S precision with sunny hill box mag (but i think this one will be over budget)

Colin :D

Thanks col, whatever we decide on, will have to be BDl.When i get time tomorrow, i,m gonna have a trawl around and see what available in the states, as we can get stuff pretty quick if need be....trouble is, most of the hs stuff etc, is out of stock over there too.

Guest Smeagle

The Manners is nice and light, also HS do a fine range, what about Bell and Carlson they might fit the bill. Bit hard to please our Vim isn't he. :D

Ok buddy, you want the lightweight varmint, which is between the std sporter, and the varmint....just what we were actually looking for....a good compromise. I would go with 22" like we said, as i have to get that t8 on it remember. That stock you posted a pic of, is not a remington stock, i,m almost certain its a mcmillan, so thats entirely up to you, if you want to pay that sort of money, and possibly have to wait that sort of time?

Just been on the midway sites, and all the american stuff like hs precision, and bell and carlson are out of stock, or special order [which they are permanently] and having dealt with both in the past, forget them, they are bloody worse than mcmillan.....far worse.You have a difficult descision mate, and i cant make it for you. Its either stocks we have, or can get get , like wilddog, boyds laminate, or a remington stock, or you raid the piggy bank for a mcmillan, and be prepared to wait for possibly 6 months.

I,ll be honest buddy, we have never had a remmy in, wearing a stock like that. It does look like a brand new gun, as its got the handbook and guarantee fastened to the trigger guard a la standard remmy. Could it be an old ADL? must admit, the stock looks tidy, far better than the SPS shite.

Just checked out the remington site, and there is nothing wearing that stock in production now...it has to be an old adl.

Bloody hell, what a lark :lol: Just found the gun, its an ADL synthetic, now we are getting somewhere, i can try and source that stock from the importers, if they still have some.

Will try and find one this week . There are going to be drawbacks to that stock. Its gonna be made from a nylon material looking at it, which makes it virtually impossible to bed, and its an ADL which means it has no floorplate hole, this is going to need machining out, and you will likely get the same problem that all nylon stocks have, the forend flexes, thus changing the point of impact, when shot off sticks, or a bipod.

I was going to suggest that Vermincinerator but i thought Vim may be going with a long action if he is shooting the bigger bullets so as not to have to seat too deep in the case and lose case capacity.

Short action will be adequate Vim. I may have a source of mcmillan remington sporters , in this country, wont know until later in the week...interested? got to be better than the synthetic one. I,ll be honest buddy, whilst its your gun, and your choice /money, i,m not happy putting a quality barrelled action like your having, in such a poor stock. It cant be bedded, and hand on heart, i cant guarantee its accuracy, and thats no good at all.Dont spoil the ship for a ha,aporth o tar mate, put up with another lb on the weight, and have a proper stock.

Vim take a look through Midway UK they'e got quite a few stocks available for Rem 700 have a look in Gun parts, look for Rem 700 then stocks, quite a few Bell & Carson available.

Midway UK

Cheers

Dave

Archived