Euro F Class champs

bradders

Was at Bisley this morning and popped along to see the Euros in full swing, also stopped and chatted with a few people I knew along the way.

With 205 competitors and their National flags flying, it was an impressive sight, so well done to all involved in making this happen.

It does beg the question though that if you have all the gear, and think you have an idea, then why weren't you there?

Must be a fear of competing.

Chap at my home club has spent a fortune on a F-Class type rifle. He is anal on the reloading and gets tiny groups - then goes and starts all over again seeking even tighter groups. He served on the Presidential guard unit in his home country so has shooting ability.

He is regularly winning the club 200 yard matches ( though he is using a 30 or 32" F-Class with scaffolding for a bipod and a rear rest against "practical rifles" ) and I have invited him to compete but he feels he is not good enough or will embarrass himself or wants a bit more practice or whatever.

Even informal and fun matches like the Gallery Rifle Full-bore matches scare him off :huh:

Well if it was my thing and I had all the gear I'd love to have a crack at something as big as a continental championship, especially if it was right on my doorstep

Today I saw 200 people walking the walk....

Biggest annual F-Class event in the world. Only the 4-yearly F-Class World Championships see a larger entry. The move to making it a full weekly shooting festival has been very successful and increased entries (as well as managing to get a week on Stickledown in early September instead of November when the weather issue and short days limited it). Whilst many home entrants drive to Bisley on Wednesday and use Thursday's matches as their practice for the main event, many visitors tool up on the previous Sunday, book practice targets on Monday, and compete in everything from Tuesday's matches through to the final European Championship teams matches on Sunday morning before heading for the ferries.

Lots of people put in a great deal of effort to make the 'Euros' work, and the GB F-Class Association as an organisation has got to be commended too, but the driving force is Mik Mak on this forum (Mik Maksimovic) and his wife Tina as what the Americans call the Match Director as well as planner/strategist, organiser, faciities booker etc. I really don't know how he finds time to compete as well, talk to existing and would-be customers of his business Dolphin Gun Co., and all too often also sort out people's trigger problems and suchlike between matches. Poor Karen Roberston spends six days locked up in a tiny caravan next to the clocktower doing the stats and somehow remains both sane and polite.

So why aren't you there?

I've retired from league events after six years or so years of it. Just a poor old, knackered OAP now. :(

I was there for my initiation entry and came halfway in a field of top notch shooters, so I'm well chuffed with my result.

What a brilliant event! It was incredibly well organised and partnering shooters of different nationalities was a unique experience. Not once was I squaddedvwith a fellow west countryman so I now consider myself multilingual.

Although this is a competition, everyone I met was free with useful advice and help. You wouldn't get this in other sports.

Well done Mik and Tina and everyone else involved in organising a spectacularly event.

I'm definitely having another go next year

At the suggestion of Mik next year's HRA RBL Match will be a precursor invitation match for any continentals that want to have some serious fun with their 'other' rifles before they start the Europeans.

A great idea. When the combined event gets bigger than The Imperial, we'll know we're on the way. :)

Was at Bisley this morning and popped along to see the Euros in full swing, also stopped and chatted with a few people I knew along the way.

With 205 competitors and their National flags flying, it was an impressive sight, so well done to all involved in making this happen.

It does beg the question though that if you have all the gear, and think you have an idea, then why weren't you there?

Personal circumstances dictate I've dropped out of F Class for 12 months.

Once I've rearranged the "hand luggage" i'll return and hopefully be able to retain / regain a place in the GB Squad.

Its the same reason why I haven't been able to get to any CSR Comps.

No fear of competing, just paddling fu ck ing hard to stay sane and above water.

However a plus side to this is I'm now got my head back into my ju jitsu...pain focus's the mind and all that ;)

As does "blunt force trauma" as one of my respected instructors demonstrates to me each week :D

There was some very impressive scores in sometimes very challenging winds over the 2 days.

Most impressive for me was the score Des Parr put in on the 800 yds on Friday. Very calm conditions but to put in a max score of 75.15 was world class.

For those of you who do not know what that score means, it's all 15 shots into a 4 inch diameter bull at 800 yds or to put it in context it's like putting 15 consecutive shots into the bottom of a tea mug that is slightly under 1/2 a mile away!

Stuart Anselm has now put all the individual match scores plus the championship aggregates onto Target Shooter magazine under 'The Long View' headings.

http://www.targetshooter.co.uk/

This morning's team matches results are up on Facebook too thanks to Neil Calder and Julie Bagnall. GB has won both Open and FTR main (international ICFRA rules and 8-shooters) teams matches by reasonable margins, Fantastic aggregate FTR score only 4 points below Open 1,164 v 1,168) but with 4 more V-Bulls (106 to 102).

FTR Rutland (4 shooter) was won by the Triple S team sponsored by Staffordshire Synthetic stocks, a collection of well known domestic FTR guys (plus one lady Julie Bagnall) with the second string 'official GB' squad as runner-up. I can't read the mobile phone photo well enough to see who won Open class Rutland.

[Edit] now seen a better pic of the results sheets. The Open class Rutland cup was won by Spain (575.41V), 2nd GB #2 squad (574.41v), 3rd Joe West Stocks (574.41v but 3rd place as they had a lower 1,000 yard stage score than GB); 4th Ukraine 572.38v, 5th Vitrix 570.41v and another three below with significantly lower aggs. Wow, that was close fought with 5 points covering 5 teams' scores or an average difference of only 1.25 points per shooter for 30 shots between 1st and 5th places.

I shot on the Wednesday and Thursday thanks to Spud for his sponaship and every body else who sponsored a class. It was only my third day of comp shooting in FTR so I was more worried about getting the other guys score right! The 800y was cancelled due too mist but I got my eye in on the 900y on Thursday so came away quite pleased.

Ill be back next year after putting in more comps. I don't get why people wouldn't have a go what's the worst that can happen?

Fantastic week of shooting and a big thank you goes out to Mik, Tina, Stuart, Des and everyone else behind the scenes who help organise this grand event.

Extremely proud of my fellow F-Class GB team mates in F/TR and F-Open for taking Gold today and those members of the 101RC who helped both Staffordshire Synthetic Stocks Rutland team today and 101's Minor Rutland Team on Thursday take Gold and Champion status. Fantastic results!

As for the individuals, I dolloped but there is always next year ha ha.

See you all on the firing point at Blair Atholl.

Echoing the posts above, many thanks to Mik,Tina,Stuart,Karen,Des and all the others involved in getting everything together and running smoothly. Thoroughly enjoyed it, did the full week and though my final standing in the individual results was well below what I'd have liked , i shot a couple of personal bests with which i was well pleased ( though the standard was such that even these did'nt trouble the top of the tables much, a 99.9 at 900 only good enough for 10th), learnt loads and saw that its not the occasional good score that makes a difference but avoiding the train wrecks.

All being well I'll be back next year and will improve a bit more.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived