6.5 creedmore experiences

ashcroft

Not sure if I am gaining anything by going 6.5 creedmoor as I run my 6.5 06 conservatively at 2810fps with a 140gr amax . 142gr smks at 2835fps.i suppose barrel life would be longer.

Whats the expected life of a 6.5-06? the creed is good for 3000-4000 rounds mine has barely done 500 but the guys from sin city have got well over the 3000 from theirs and still accurate and they run rather hot loads, If my memory serves me right one or two have had closer to 5000. As mine is a stalking rifle its of no consequence to me but nice to know it will outlast me and be handed down to my son one day. Its already been stated by others all the 6.5s bar the 6.5-284 are very close to eachother, I just went with it as it was something different but more than happy as its just so easy to reload and it shoots, and luckily got all the brass from the states when you could get it and was dirt cheap.

thxs laurie my cooper 22.250 is a single shot so I don't think its a problem so its down to a rebarreling job in the new year also any advice on twist it will be mainly used for deer and fox e,g, what bullet weight s would suit regards dave.

Hi Dave. I'm not a deerstalker, so wouldn't presume to advise on bullets for that purpose, but there are lots of 6.5X47L using deerstalkers on the forum who have hands on experience.

The standard 6.5 Creedmoor chamber reamer form was designed to accept the 120gn (since overtaken by a superior 123gn model) and 140gn Hornady AMAX bullets within magazine lengths and it seems to do that job very well. I would think most if not all UK gunsmiths who have a Creedmoor reamer will have this standard PT&G design. It certainly gives you a lot of flexibility in bullet choice, though how it would do with 100gn or thereabouts varmint bullets I couldn't say.

For those who intend to shoot the long 130-140gn VLD class bullets, a 1-8" twist is the norm. I'd go for that, although if you were restricting yourself to shorter designs such as the 100gn Partition you could use a slower twist rate.

If you do want to use shorter bullets though, the Creedmoor with its chamber designed for 140s may not be the optimum choice. Callum Ferguson (Precision Rifle Services in the north of Scotland) was (I assume still is) a fan of the 260 Rem with a short throat set up for lightweight varmint bullets and the 100/120gn Nosler Partitions which he said were easily capable of taking Scottish red deer stags. So, I'd recommend thinking about bullets first and working on from there.

Archived