General Advice

Scott1993

Hi all just after some guidance in regards to getting my firearms licence and what rifle to get thereafter, i am 22 years old and have been shooting rabbits, squirrels and whatnot since i was about 8 and i am looking to step it up a notch from an air rifle, i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice in regards to the application process of getting my licence, in regards to rifles i have fired a few RF rifles but underwhelmed at it in general, i have been looking at a Tikka T3 Lite .223 as the .223 seems to tick all the right boxes, has/does anyone own a .223 and would you recommend it? thanks

Scott-as Stacka asks,could you give some more detail on what species you intend to shoot,and likely range for the quarry-all rf s are a big step up from air rifle,and cfs like 223 are in a quite different league....this means you will also need suitable land to shoot on,deemd such by the licensing authority.

You mention rabbits and squirrels "and suchlike".....all could be competently taken with a 22rf (or one of the more potent rfs) at up to maybe 75 yards for a beginner (ranging/wind /safety etc are all more complex than air rifle....and you should not be firing any FAC cartridge weapon upwards -eg squirrels in trees....safe backstop is absolute.A 223 eg has 100 times more energy than an air rifle...

OK...you'll get a better answer if you ask a clearer more informative question...your FLO may well ask much the same.....so you need to be clearer....

gbal

thanks for the reply, apologies for not being specific, my dad has a friend who has about 150 acres of land (mostly open fields) and i also know quite a few farmers (north wales based) that would probably agree to some pest control, as to what we would be shooting, it would be mostly rabbits, squirrel, crows and maybe fox as the owner has sheep, and as you say i understand safety is paramount so i would certainly only take the shot providing the backstop is sufficient, as to windage and elevation i have basic knowledge of MOA but obviously using mostly air rifles have never had to adjust for long range shots which i am certaily looking forward to improving my skills with.

What caliber what your FEO will allow will totally depend on the acreage available, terrain and what you are intending to shoot.

The next logical step up from a 12 ft lb air rifle is 22LR or 17HMR, that will be fine for rabbits, crow etc up to about 80 yards for the 22 and 120 or so for the HMR. Neither is powerful enough for foxes unless very close but unless you are going to be controlling fox your FEO is not going to grant you a 223 for rabbits etc only.

If the FEO suggests a mentoring condition reject it, there is no legal requirement for that and its the Police trying to make the law up as they go along. Its their job to apply the law as it stands not modify it to their own ends. If they insist ask them to put that in writing then forward it to BASC firearms dept.

A

Archived