.243 limits

Guest Stacka

Guest Stacka

Ok so I bashed together a few loads with the 87gr VLD Bergers BuckhurstBen gave me (thank you for that Ben) using H380

And tried it tonight. The results were actually very good.

3787C1D6-78E7-44C6-BB8E-DD43A64C2AC4.jpg

Remarkably the lowest load was the most accurate.

770BFD22-EC3E-437D-B37F-A2C3D27830EA.jpg

As you can see I'm getting a 0.4in group at 100m

Just to cover, I wanted a long range fox round as well as a deer suitable round using H380 powder.....why sticking with H380 I. Hear you ask. Well it works amazing in my .22-250 and I want to be in a position where I do t have to,empty out my auto loader hopper every time....yes laziness.

Iv loaded a great load for Nosler 90gr BTips. Tonight I was shooting small coconuts at 400m which is suppose is good enough. My initial concerns of poor groups at range seem to be short lived.

So all is good either way, but what does one do now......and the saga goes on.

Nice one, I found using h380 with the nosler 80gn ballistic tip the lowest charge weight I tried was the most accurate. Doesn't really matter if your dialling in and there should still be plenty of energy to do what it's got to do at the other end.

Good luck

What does one do now?

1. Shoot 5 shot groups at 200m using 1" targets

2. Chrono the loads and determine best ES, tweak length to improve.

3. Go shoot them gongs i lent you at 400, when you can hit the 4" one every shot you're ready....

Guest Stacka

I will do all the above when I can fine a good supply of the bergers. They are as rare as my wife making a brew in the morning

I tweeked the length of the Noslers and that seems to have done the trick. I was hitting coconuts at 400m one shot.

But I need to do another 200m group

• 2 weeks later...

Blasers are for people who don't realise Tikkas are certainly the way forward ;)

And I bought garys tikka ! wouldn't mind trying a blaser tho .

Should see he's Sako.

I got my eyes on it it.

For the cost of your .243, the new stock, the trinkets that go with it and the time and cost of load development it could have been yours!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok with a few weeks of doing nothing I decided to push the 87gr Bergers properly.

Made up a batch today and did groups at 50, 200m, 300m and 400m

50 and 200m were to work out velocity with a 100m zero 300m and 400m was to work out true drop through the ranges and 400m I set out 3 butternut squash to hit.

Over all I worked out velocity to be 3356fps and the 200m group was .543in which I was pleasetly surprised at

And 400m was still achieving just over a 1in (bit windy in wilts today)

C2C7CA74-25EE-4B38-A4FE-1D2A20FF081C_zps

The squashes required a 24in drop at 400m which equates to 20 clicks on my turret. And I nailed 3 out of 3

In summary I'm very happy with this bullet, it's a great stalking bullet, and a brilliant long range varmint round. Which was my required achievement

Archived