200yd mcqueens

Zeroed in as usual.had my 308 shooting cock on.I noticed the other sunday and looking back over a couple of visits to short siberia that I was grouping an inch or so low and an inch or so right so on my final go of the day after a few shots had gone downrange I aimed a little left and a little high coz I saw where bullet holes went and had 5 in the 1 inch vbull.anybody any theory behind this.i will try this next time too.swarovski

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find lighting can affect zero a lot on short siberia. I notice it more there anyway.

lightning.....?

I've checked zero after shooting because it didn't make sense.zero bang on.was thinking maybe the 4lb match trigger may have caused me to do it.i zero with a rear bag to conserve ammo and get a really accurate zero

lightning.....?

I've checked zero after shooting because it didn't make sense.zero bang on.was thinking maybe the 4lb match trigger may have caused me to do it.i zero with a rear bag to conserve ammo and get a really accurate zero

Well,lightENing seldom hits the same place twice,so.....but 'light' ( bright V dark) does affect the eye/POA and POI

Ref rear bag,yes of course,solid platform is needed,but a valid ("accurate") zero isn't something to be too ammo conservative about-three shots won't really do-OK as a routine check-perhaps,but on first zeroing-three shots,and you can be sure of the fourth/fifth etc??

Really,you have to shoot more,or risk some uncertainty-though in a good rifle an inch off in elevation and L/R seems a bit dramatic.

Try a statistics probability test with a sample of three....it will say 'no confidence',and that's reasonably fair comment (unless there is plenty other consistency data-but then the sample isn't just three).

In a rifle,of known consistency,something is 'wrong'-or at least different ( eg barrel hotter,etc etc).

gbal

Short Siberia on the right hand side under the trees is a "magpie alley".

If there is the slightest breath of wind coming from the left, it does all sorts of slack things to your supposed zero.

What happens is it hits the trees, and then bounces back off them at rifle level.

Thank george, thanks dave, I am very familiar with magpie alley, my pb is 5v's and 5 a's, I thought I had equalled it the other day but it was 5v 4a and 1 b, I did have a few 2v 8a's that afternoon, I love doing the 200yd mcqueens, its way harder at 300yds, I asked the markers via 2 way radio where my shots had grouped on previous go and was told an inch or so low and same right, once I aimed off I could see holes peppering the vbull, I use a super short pod for 1k and 200yds but I am off the ground with the butt coz the firing point slopes back to front, I am more wobbly than I like, must be squeesing off right to consistantly hitting the vbull

If 100m is 109.3yds, if mcqueens firing point is 100yds past that then its 209.3yds,ive always assumed it was 200yds,somebody in our club shot 7 v's 3 a's, two of you know who he is.it must of been luck or stevie wonder was scoring lol, actually the bloke who marked the 7v 3a built the rifle, funny that......!

My personal best in the comp is 9v,s and 1, 5 giving 59 ex 60.

Brown dog on here still holds the record with 10 v,s.

I shot that one windless afternoon about 4 o clock in one of the Phoenix meetings with one of my 6.5 x 47,s.

Hmmmmm....once again physics are preserved and mismeasurement-or rather misinformation to shooters-may be the explanation-wayward yardage,rather than mendacious metrication here,it seems.

A 175 SMK @2600fps,zeroed at 200y,drops a further 9.1 inches by 300,so the extra 9+ yards on 'not quite that Short Siberia' will show up as a tad low (not quite an inch,perhaps).

"If only every measurement were as accurate as a casio quartz." :-)

gbal

My personal best in the comp is 9v,s and 1, 5 giving 59 ex 60.

Brown dog on here still holds the record with 10 v,s.

I shot that one windless afternoon about 4 o clock in one of the Phoenix meetings with one of my 6.5 x 47,s.

wow,9 and 10 shots in a 1 inch vbull at 200yds with 3 second exposures, never thought for a second that was humanly possible, was that just prone, no rear support, I am shocked, that is really great shooting, dont think ive ever shot it in windless conditions but not using that as an excuse, certainly something to try for.i will be disappointed with 5 v's now lol.

Did mine standing and wrong shoulder. The rain blowing through wasn't as distracting as the lightning, but did make the targets difficult to see. Just did the best I could on the day.

You were lucky.

:D

yes around 100yds.i like 300yds mcqueens.whats your best at 300 then dave.howabout brown dog aswell.john mh must have too, anymore for anymore, whats your best at 300 then danny

Only done it once at an Imperial pay and play - with an unzeroed 303T , I may as well have been throwing rounds straight in the bin. With a proper rifle I immediately won some bizarre nra medal (with mcqueens bar, no less) of the junta generalisimo el presidente variety, which turned up in the post some weeks later - and which I value deeply. Sadly, the accompanying goldish didn't survive.

At 300, there's actually far less angular movement on the rifle between targets ....some might argue that it's easier ;)

I've only done 300 a few times because there was also a 300yds snaps thing running at the same time with handhelds. Targets of oppertunity.that was good too.300 mcqueens is at the end lane too.matt you sound more familiar with it than me.10 v's there too then.ive since got a much more accurate load than the 155gr scenars i didnt really get on with and 175gr smks I change over too.i use 168gr amax and 155gr palmas (2156's) which are really good

Archived