.22 bolt action or semi auto?

outandabout

Hi all, I'm new to the forum

I'm waiting for my FAC to arrive in the post. In the meantime I'm considering what to purchase.... For my .22lr slot I want a bolt action CZ varmint.

However, a friend strongly suggests I should go for a semi auto, for greater efficiency in shooting numbers of rabbits. Some of the land I've got is overrun with them to say the least!

At this point, I think I'd be more comfortable with, and would prefer using a bolt action rifle... I'm not keen on having a semi auto, but maybe it would make more sense getting one in the long run???

I've used both types in the past, a cz .22 and a ruger 10/22 but much preferred the CZ and the bolt action.

So, any opinions would be appreciated

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always used a bolt action and my rabbit clean up rates would not be improved by using a semi auto. Having said that, I've used/coached on a 10/22 in my club and have been impressed by its reliability.

I've shot in the field with a few people using semis and they have all succumbed to the temptation to blatter away using speed of shooting rather than accuracy. So for me, it would be a bolt action.

I wouldn't bother with any subsonic 22lr personally, they are renowned for ricochet' s, they have a trajectory similar to throwing a concrete block, they are not particularly accurate and the semi's jam for a pastime.

Do yourself a massive favour and buy a 17hmr instead. Flat trajectory to 150 yds and no fear of any ricochets ever.

I wouldn't bother with any subsonic 22lr personally, they are renowned for ricochet' s, they have a trajectory similar to throwing a concrete block, they are not particularly accurate and the semi's jam for a pastime.

Do yourself a massive favour and buy a 17hmr instead. Flat trajectory to 150 yds and no fear of any ricochets ever.

I agree with the 22 ricochets , but even hmr still ricochet at times although the bullets dont carry that much clout after id still be wary . It depends what your getting on your ticket , but id be very tempted to go 17hornet , that will definitely ricochet less than an hmr on the same piece of shallow ground for instance . Hmr ammo is also pretty crap quality wise / split cases especially hornady , well for me it was mostly hornady - federal always was better accuracy wise and almost no split cases ! BuT on the op question id go bolt gun ,..

Bad advice IMHO

.22LR bullets can of course ricochet if you miss and hit a stone. I've shot over 1,000 rabbits this year with 22LR and have not had one ricochet. All bullets can ricochet and you do have to be aware of this, particularly on hard ground.

Up to 75 yds there is no problem with trajectory and subs if you know what you're doing. In addition, they are almost silent with a decent moderator.

One hole groups at 50 yds is fine for me.

I've shot for years with the club 10/22s and have only had one or two jams in all that time.

And the ammo is relatively inexpensive. The OP hinted that he'd be shooting a lot. - 'for greater efficiency in shooting numbers of rabbits'.

Besides, I believe the question was .22 bolt action or semi auto.......

Thanks for all the quick replies. The reason he suggested a semi auto is so you don't have to take your head off the stock to reload.

I think a bolt action would be a much better option for me, and glad to see you guys think the same so far.

Luckily I have time to think on this before my certificate hits the door mat :lol: firearms officer estimates about 3 weeks

Sorry dunc didn't see your reply before I posted. Interesting to hear your club rifles don't jam often.

I do indeed have a lot of shooting ahead of me, so although I'm leaning heavily in favour of a bolt action gun I won't rule out a semi auto at this stage

On the subject of bolt/semi, a bolt is easier to unload and check clear. Not to be underestimated if you're shooting a lot at night from the cab of a vehicle.

On the subject of .17HMR and .22LR, .22 is brilliant and HMR is a load of shitt. Expensive, temperamental, loud and overprescribed by clueless firearms officers who give new shooters a false sense of safety at the expense of actual safety. They do ricochet.

Sorry dunc didn't see your reply before I posted. Interesting to hear your club rifles don't jam often.

I do indeed have a lot of shooting ahead of me, so although I'm leaning heavily in favour of a bolt action gun I won't rule out a semi auto at this stage

Good man. Where are you located? I need someone to help me this weekend shoot a couple of 100 rabbits. :D

Myxy 'season' is getting close and I need to get the numbers down to avoid it. :rolleyes:

There were at least 10 sets of eyes last night in one corner of a field but as I had the 223 with me on fox patrol, they just kept on munching, undisturbed by me and the red Nightmaster....

Good man. Where are you located? I need someone to help me this weekend shoot a couple of 100 rabbits. :D

Myxy 'season' is getting close and I need to get the numbers down to avoid it. :rolleyes:

There were at least 10 sets of eyes last night in one corner of a field but as I had the 223 with me on fox patrol, they just kept on munching, undisturbed by me and the red Nightmaster....

That's a kind offer Dunc, thanks. I'm in Kent so it's a bit far to travel unfortunately.

That's a kind offer Dunc, thanks. I'm in Kent so it's a bit far to travel unfortunately.

Never mind. I've got a plan B up my sleeve... ;)

Good luck with your first FAC. Must be one of the most exciting times in someone's life! And you're right to consider carefully your first rifle.

Good, glad about that. Shame to miss a good bit of shooting though. Bucks is only 2-3 hours away so it's do-able, but I'm working this weekend :(

Thanks, yes it is exciting but I want to at least try to be restrained when it comes to buying! :lol: My first shotgun purchase was made in haste and I regretted it. A bad rifle would be even harder to swap for a better one.

On the subject of bolt/semi, a bolt is easier to unload and check clear. Not to be underestimated if you're shooting a lot at night from the cab of a vehicle.

This goes a long way to making my mind up. Thanks mate.

Seemingly little things like leaving an empty case in the chamber while you swing the truck around or catching a live round down the magwell really do help.

Brno/CZ are the industry standard for bolts in the same way Ruger 10/22s are for semis. Best of luck and have fun.

Bad advice IMHO

.22LR bullets can of course ricochet if you miss and hit a stone. I've shot over 1,000 rabbits this year with 22LR and have not had one ricochet. All bullets can ricochet and you do have to be aware of this, particularly on hard ground.

Up to 75 yds there is no problem with trajectory and subs if you know what you're doing. In addition, they are almost silent with a decent moderator.

One hole groups at 50 yds is fine for me.

I've shot for years with the club 10/22s and have only had one or two jams in all that time.

And the ammo is relatively inexpensive. The OP hinted that he'd be shooting a lot. - 'for greater efficiency in shooting numbers of rabbits'.

Besides, I believe the question was .22 bolt action or semi auto.......

Big +1 on all that.

On the subject of richochets, you've gotta assume you'll have one with any rimfire and make sure the backdrop is safe.

For my .22lr slot I want a bolt action CZ varmint. However, a friend strongly suggests I should go for a semi auto

I often (half) joke that if you want to shoot things, buy a bolt action; if you want to shoot at things, buy a semi-auto.

A Ruger 10/22, for example, can be made as accurate as an off-the-shelf bolt action by one of the big manufacturers. You will, however, end up throwing away 90% of the Ruger and replacing the discarded bits with expensive Gucci bolt-ons.

My advice? Buy a CZ and laugh all the way to the bank. (I chose a Sako Finnfire Varmint, but it 's a long story).

maximus otter

I often (half) joke that if you want to shoot things, buy a bolt action; if you want to shoot at things, buy a semi-auto.

A Ruger 10/22, for example, can be made as accurate as an off-the-shelf bolt action by one of the big manufacturers. You will, however, end up throwing away 90% of the Ruger and replacing the discarded bits with expensive Gucci bolt-ons.

My advice? Buy a CZ and laugh all the way to the bank. (I chose a Sako Finnfire Varmint, but it 's a long story).

maximus otter

I'm collecting a Sako Finnfire P94s today, 2002 vintage, can't wait.

I Was going to go for a CZ but the Sako popped up, at a good price.

Get the rifle you really want.

Having used both,but far more the Ruger semi in 22rf and an anschutz a bit,there isn't much in it at sensible rabbiting distances-for me,and on the really well rabbit populated permissions,that's sub 75y.

A small 'grouping' difference-if any,and it was ammo specific-made no difference to terminal shoulder hits.

I think 'efficiently' is a weasel word _though weasels are really efficient! Where opportunities for more than one shot occured,they wete very very seldom so short that a semi would,and a bolt would not,have had time for the shot-it's a small fraction of a second,and most of the time is in aiming......

I'd also add that elsewhere,with large but distant warrens,a loud unsuppressed 17rem or 222 rem was at no disadvantage compared to eg a 223 semi- as far as time was concerned (and were more accurate beyond 250y)-rabbits either spooked immediately,or ignored the noise of the first shot,usually the latter-time pressure was not an issue in 'efficiency'. (unsuppressed' as not allowed,back then on cfs.)

I also used a 22WRF magnum semi auto,'along with' a 22 Hornet ( out to 125 ish)-again,no 'efficiency' advantage for the semii- as ever,first shot really mattered more,and any follow up shots did not have to be faster than bolt action very often.

All that said-and bearing in mind not all semi auto 22rfs are inaccurate from the box,or all bolt actions accurate as the cartridge just isn't -I used the semi a lot.It was more plinking fun,but that had almost no carry over to rabbit control. "Efficiency" was the same. I doubt that a Sako would be much more 'efficient' than a BRNO/CZ,though I know which I'd rather have....the Ruger semi is as from the box,fifty years ago-no bling,not needed.

Choose the rifle you feel comfortable/have confidence in.Give the semi efficient man a dictionary :-)

gbal

Good points above as always.

Was out shooting last night with my bolt action and Sak moderator, the rifle is basically silent. The biggest noise was the impact of the shot and that was 60-75 yds away and the second biggest was the firing pin hitting the cartridge rim!

I don't honestly know, but I doubt a semi would be that quiet. It's been years since I've had one in the field but it is certainly possible with a bolt action to take a fire position and clear almost a whole warren in the one 'session'. Rabbits are certainly not the sharpest when it comes to their mates/siblings being 'cleared'.

And for me, this would be a significant factor in choosing bolt action vs semi.

Good points above as always.

Was out shooting last night with my bolt action and Sak moderator, the rifle is basically silent. The biggest noise was the impact of the shot and that was 60-75 yds away and the second biggest was the firing pin hitting the cartridge rim!

I don't honestly know, but I doubt a semi would be that quiet. It's been years since I've had one in the field but it is certainly possible with a bolt action to take a fire position and clear almost a whole warren in the one 'session'. Rabbits are certainly not the sharpest when it comes to their mates/siblings being 'cleared'.

And for me, this would be a significant factor in choosing bolt action vs semi.

Dunc,you are right-there is nothing that can be done really to mask the noise of a semi bolt slamming back into battery-it may/not be much noise,but it is there,and is staying there! It was of course a fair bit louder on semi cfs,but to be fair,it didn't seem to be a serious "warren siren" on rabbits....esp in 22rf. Carrying was often an issue for me-but the Rem nylon 66 at 4lb was no longer available,and the browning semis at 4lb tended to be rather worn examples-and the new ruger was only a pound heavier....better balanced,too,and short-ish.We didn't cut barrels much then! Anschutz XIV was too pricey,might be choice now!

Rabbits seldom bolt!

g

I'm waiting for my FAC to arrive in the post. In the meantime I'm considering what to purchase.... For my .22lr slot I want a bolt action CZ varmint.

However, a friend strongly suggests I should go for a semi auto, for greater efficiency in shooting numbers of rabbits. Some of the land I've got is overrun with them to say the least!

At this point, I think I'd be more comfortable with, and would prefer using a bolt action rifle... I'm not keen on having a semi auto, but maybe it would make more sense getting one in the long run???

I've used both types in the past, a cz .22 and a ruger 10/22 but much preferred the CZ and the bolt action.

So, any opinions would be appreciated

You can have more than one .22lr on your licence, so you can get one of each.

Archived