.22 barrel length - how long ?

LONG RANGE CAPT

I can't tell you specific technical benefits or drawbacks but I know 4 people with S&W M&P 15-22s who've had the 16" barrel swapped for a 12" by Suffolk Rifle Company and seen zero change in accuracy for practical matches. They do become much more manoeuvrable for practical matches. I'm going to have mine swapped for a 12" when I get a chance.

Depends what you want the .22lr for. If its to use as a trainer for CSR positional shooting then have it as near to the same size and weight as your straight pull, if its for running around shooting mini rifle at short range then possibly the shorter barrel as speed is more of an issue than accuracy.

Nothing is going to suffer in accuracy with a shorter barrel, everything else being equal. The only variable might be stable "pointability" if the firearm is too short/lightweight.

I can't tell you specific technical benefits or drawbacks but I know 4 people with S&W M&P 15-22s who've had the 16" barrel swapped for a 12" by Suffolk Rifle Company and seen zero change in accuracy for practical matches. They do become much more manoeuvrable for practical matches. I'm going to have mine swapped for a 12" when I get a chance.

I don't think run 'n' gun Mini Rifle is a good base for judging a rifles accuracy.

Mine are generally around 16" but my own personal one is 302mm OAL and I can't see any deterioration in accuracy shooting decent ammo.

That said mine have a "match" chamber, and many of the others around have a more generous "sporting" chamber. That may or may not make a difference.

I think at the end of the day it's all down to how you want it to look

12" and 16 have no difference in accuracy and little or no difference in velocity

My 10/22 has a 12.5" VQ Carbon fibre barrel as I like short and light for a hunting gun particularly good as a truck gun ;)

Might try Mini rifle again but its been a while (10yrs)

1898668_10205972167921378_70201152537912

• 2 weeks later...

I took the vq 12.5 inch carbon barrel off my 10/22 and replaced it with a 16inch vq snake fluted one didn't change my group size but I prefer the weight now, so I guess that's what your choosing how heavy do you want it

I took the vq 12.5 inch carbon barrel off my 10/22 and replaced it with a 16inch vq snake fluted one didn't change my group size but I prefer the weight now, so I guess that's what your choosing how heavy do you want it

exactly

I prefer to make a rifle as light/Short as possible then add exactly the weight I want back on in exactly the place I want it so it balances how i like ;)

Archived