I'm not a WIS, but....Omega, Rolex, TAG etc

Hi

The watch description is:

Seiko SNKM97 Recraft Series Automatic Green Dial Day Date Men's Watch.

Available from Watchwarehouse.com (USA). I've PM'd you with details of price.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had loads of watches over the years but working in tree work I just kept smashing them, then while we were on holiday in Switzerland I splashed out on a Tissot, but I broke that several times too I was gutted as it was a lot of money at the time. I could never justify the thousands for a Rolex but then I found Stowa. Now I have one of these, https://www.stowa.de/en/Sport/ They are german built with the same movements as some of the ££££ swiss brands use. Not that its cheap at £1k. Built like a tank though, weighs a quarter pound, no joke, Had it a couple of years now and still not broken.. Result.

I love the look of it too, it has a nice retro feel and the knurling on the bezel is reminiscent of the timing gear on a messershmidtt....... In my head anyway.

• 1 month later...

My lifestyle sadly makes wearing a really decent watch a bad idea, so here's mine..............from the MWC, whoever they are, a fake 'Nam watch........

The case is aluminium, as far as I can tell. It has a Japanese Miyota quartz movement and replaceable batteries, plus a plastic glass that can be polished with T-cut if scratched, all for the princely sum of £35.

And it's accurate to a couple of seconds a week. Just replaced the battery after two years.

H/man

post-11477-0-10341200-1470645268_thumb.jpg

Does any body have any exsperience with any of the Hamilton range of watches?

I have an old Hamilton Military watch, in fact the same type and model as this http://www.retrovintagewatch.com/hamilton-military-vintage-watch.html

Very underrated brand in my opinion (I also have a CWC in the same style [1977]) and a 1942 military Omega (round face, looks like an IWC mk11).

• 1 month later...

My two daily wearers,

A TimeFactors Dreadnought and a Titanium Seamaster Chrono

The Dreadnought is solid+ and weighs a ton. The Seamaster was an obscenely cheap deal, which couldn't be refused. Hardly notice you are wearing it as it is so light compared to the steel version.

Omega was serviced at http://robinmartin.co.uk/ a good old fashioned horologist with all the major accreditations.

post-14580-0-23581500-1474741368_thumb.jpg

post-14580-0-33312100-1474741377_thumb.jpg

post-14580-0-21675000-1474741385_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Always liked their smaller plain Pilot's Watches.

I've noticed that some of the flashier business types I come into contact with at work are starting to wear the bigger IWC watches - I get the impression that people are passing on the fat lug six-digit Rolexes in favour of the big IWCs (that observation is based on zero data or evidence, just a feeling in my water!).

Similar feelings here, I like the plain models, the old school ones. Was picking some Tissot daily beaters from regular service after the New year and handled a few of the new IWC suit watches while waiting in the store (Da Vinci and Portuguese chrono line). For 4-8k EUR and even more expensive watches, I was largely unimpressed by the new offerings. The most expensive pink gold models felt like fakes of themselves, light and fragile (I´m sure they´re not, but you know how the feeling remains)... or maybe I´m just not girl enough to appreciate. Some of the Ingenieur line keeps reminding me of a cheap Seiko by the case design :(

To be fair, the simple Aquatimer and non-chronograph Pilots are still super badass!

Archived