I'm not a WIS, but....Omega, Rolex, TAG etc

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my daylights,this is a rep.My mate has a gen.and you cannot tell the difference,the weight is exact,font everything.If anything the engraving on the case is better than the Gen.

Power reserve is about 3 days,even the date adjust is at 10 position as per gen.Also have its sister in black.?

The strap is Java rock Python.

20150616_140514_zpsvmcqidh5.jpg

20151113_124319_zps0bvsjdcw.jpg

Lume on the high quality reps is normally very good.

The one below is the best I have ever had though to be honest,the pic is just from natural daylight then into a darkened room.It lasted all through the night approx 7 hours.

20151113_180531_zps31fm9hzd.jpg

It's this watch in the daylight?

3227e0ddc3cf5b2f8352ed0490c0b474_zpsbpcc

They are trust me,Ive sourced some for mates that had gens.they have sold their gens.now. :D I got my Wife a Ladies Patek Philippe Nautilus,One of the other partners in her firm is a big Patek fan,he's such a good customer Patek fly him over for weekends to collect his watches in person from the factory.He really is a connoisseur on the brand,even he was amazed at the quality.

Something a little more dressy,Rolex Milgaus,blue face,green glass.

20160324_171251_zpsv8o2bvyn.jpg

Something like this?aa2894411b5914ba90dfdc2e2b2e5a15_zpsho0ed4c7d86b17bfc9909ce5a25038f672e3_zpsgpgx

How sterile would you want to go?I can get pretty much any dial done for approx $90

Yes - very much like that. My personal peference though is to go completely sterile for a homage. Marina Militare is actually trademarked to Panerai and quite a few watch forums now ban showing them after getting threatening letters from Panerai. Many on the forums also frown on 'fakes'. I say 'each to their own', but personally prefer to go completely sterile on my own watches to avoid any sense of ambiguity.

How much would it cost you to assemble a decent fiddy style?

PS - love the domed plexi!

Yup - they were the 12 manufacturers of the British military 'Watch, Wrist, Waterproof' or W.W.W.

Military watches are very addictive to collectors, especially as the supply is finite. Prices for these have gone through the roof in recent years.

Just been talking to my mate.

The watch is a Grana ? [ not sure if the spelling is correct ]

Apparently an unknown amount of between 1000 and 1500 only made. He's just had it serviced , and its up for sale at the jewellers for £7200.

yes, and the lovely story behind it, was his father in law, wore it regularly, and had no idea of its value. He did also own a very nice oyster rolex, so did like his watches.

just like antiques roadshow !

• 2 weeks later...

Seiko modding looks rather fun and some people have taken it to something of an artform.

I have recently taken my first small step by obtaining a set of tricolour plonguer hands and a sapphire crystal for my Seiko Sawtooth from Yobokies. I just need to find the time to find a watchmaker to put it together for me.

IMG_3611.jpg

I find the yobokies info absolutely impenetrable!

(Bearing in mind, to my eye, the perfect watch is down around 38mm diameter!) I think a hi-vis skx013 (or 31!) done along these lines (I think this pic is a 007) looks good.

Sword hands, big blobs of lume, sloped bezel. post-1450-0-40534100-1460211011_thumb.jpg

Yes, Yobokies Photobucket site is a bit of a nightmare to navigate. But if you email Harold, he responds very quickly and is incredibly helpful.

Another person with a good reputation is Monster Watches in the Netherlands. He at least has a proper website, which is rather easier to understand: http://www.monsterwatches.nl/?lang=en

Well, here's my latest acquisition, obtained (after a tip from JR fixit) from a seller in Canada. It's a sterile homage to a Panerai Luminor 1950 'Fiddy', assembled from a Swiss movement and Chinese case by a skilled watchmaker. I'm just loving that domed sapphire crystal!

post-11576-0-04107500-1460308872_thumb.jpeg

post-11576-0-08426300-1460308889_thumb.jpeg

Finished my latest build at the weekend.

47mm Silix case with soldered lugs and crown

Hand painted dial

aged hands and vintage lumed

GPF mod.dep. flat buckle

hand made hidden screw strap

Polished and decorated Unitas 6498 with blued screws.

20160411_103454_zpscb11f0lr.jpg

20160411_103537_zpsn4sngsys.jpg

And a pick of a couple of others.

20160411_104943_zpsmoq4nkyv.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I've owned a Seamaster - Aqua Terra and a Rolex Daytona. Neither kept time as well as my quartz Seiko Titanium, so I don't count them really as precision watches, merely finely crafted timepieces which were a pleasure to own. I can appreciate the work and craftsmanship in a good watch but the truth is that any £2.99 digital watch bought with a fiver's worth of petrol these days likely keeps better time than any automatic mechanical watch or other type of luxury branded watch which is why I've always been secretly tickled by the description of "precision timepiece" as if it only applies to luxury brands. I do like them though and the magpie in me wants to keep adding to the collection, but I sold my expensive watches some years ago as I was almost too afraid to wear them.

For a bit of fun, and because I liked it, I have recently acquired one of the new Seiko Retro range bought from America:

IMG_0690_zps2mj6rzda.jpg

IMG_0691_zps9ic2u96x.jpg

It's pretty huge and bulky but reassuringly retro! Reminds me of the Seikos that my uncles wore when I was a nipper in the late 60's/early 70's which was one of the reasons that I bought it. It seems to keep good time as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived