I'm not a WIS, but....Omega, Rolex, TAG etc

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sitrep:

I'm off to Barcelona for a weekend in April courtesy of Canon cameras; I've decided to leave my GMT Master at home given the amount of petty street crime there. In fact Mrs Strangely Brown refuses to accompany me because of this so I'm going with a mucker from work.

The question is; do I buy a G10 from Ebay for under £60 and are they good value?

Your thoughts gentlemen......?

Sitrep:

I'm off to Barcelona for a weekend in April courtesy of Canon cameras; I've decided to leave my GMT Master at home given the amount of petty street crime there. In fact Mrs Strangely Brown refuses to accompany me because of this so I'm going with a mucker from work.

The question is; do I buy a G10 from Ebay for under £60 and are they good value?

Your thoughts gentlemen......?

The G10s are excellent value, but make sure that you get a Swiss-made CWC, rather than the Japanese Pulsar ones with a snap case back. The latter had all sorts of problems with crystals and crowns falling off and I believe that Seiko have now lost the contract. The only issue with the old CWC ones is that they have tritium lume and most of the ones on ebay will be time expired. Buy a new one off CWC though and it will come with nice Super Lume that never fades.

My choice for a high crime zone or a filthy job would be a Casio G shock. I love the 80s retro looks of my G-5600 (that's not my watch or wrist though!).

post-11576-0-85453400-1457718088_thumb.jpeg

Or put it on one of these!

(Would look awesome on a pepsi and I think ne'er do wells tend to spot the watch because of the distinctive strap rather than the watch itself)

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2016-03-11 at 14.18.13.png

And that's the thing really which is why I ordered this but not really sure that I will wear it anywhere but the reunion! Not my idea or design.

post-10626-0-63055800-1457728409_thumb.jpeg

lI always found that sticking my barrel in the dirt and looking at the shadow is good enough.

Bit difficult down the pub though, they just don't like me shooting holes in the floor to put the barrel in to. Plus the lighting is rubbish.

And that's the thing really which is why I ordered this but not really sure that I will wear it anywhere but the reunion! Not my idea or design.

post-1450-0-54103900-1457733259_thumb.jpeg

Gosh! :o

(Too late to suggest a simple printed t-shirt ?! :lol::P:) )

Ho Ho! I Didn't wear that out either. There seems to be a trend with these. Some of the RAF chaps like them. I have seen a SRR Rolex at £10000 over the market price. I believe the agreement was Gin fuelled, but it's all a it sketchy.

I really like watches,have over 50 of them,gens.amazing quality reps.and stuff in between lol.but the past 6 months I've gone down the building route.Patience is the key here as it takes months to get the parts together from all over the world,most hand made and dials one off's hand painted.

Anyway a couple of pics.My 1st build

20160206_115306_zpss5xpg5nc.jpg

20160205_191125_zpsysvu1oxu.jpg

The 3646 has soldered lugs so I had to hand stitch the strap on.

20160312_095819_zps09nhoxyg.jpg

And another

244a760a464649c501d148a35d299da6_zpsad91

c37cf3a70d424dd12496849de2c80bc3_zpsetue

Got a couple more builds on the go at the moment and waiting for the most amazing hand forged buckle.

Modded Molnija with new bridge,I have a Cortebert waiting for my next build but not decided if I'm going to use it yet,The Hamilton is a really nice movement though so I may use another of those.I pressure test to 6bar aswell so a bit of water isn't a problem.

Some of the bits waiting to be built labeled if it's of any interest.

20160107_180248_zpserbzqta8.jpg

It is to me but my wife thinks I'm nuts Lol

Hand tubes have been shortened since that pic.didnt really look that bad in the flesh so to speak but that pic.really emphasised it.?

Thanks,but I just put the bits together the guys that I get the bits from are the real talent.

It's just another hobby for me I've only sorted watches out for freinds really,there are much better builders out there than me,but I could help out with a build if you wanted.

I do have a 45mm Rad.that I would let go as I prefer 47mm on my wrist.

612ed687b6255aad5a164f012b2b84be_zpsksky

20160307_171446_zpsbsyu7zgw.jpg

Spec.

45mm 3646 Cartel case light reshape on edges soldered lugs and crown tube

Hands steel heat blued with slight ageing

Dial hand painted

Movement Molly 3601

Sternkreutz plexi

I do have a black River dial for this I could swap out.

Archived