I'm not a WIS, but....Omega, Rolex, TAG etc

Ah, Rolex's. I always wanted one as a young, daft lad.

I answered an ad in the London evening standard newspaper back in 1984 to someone selling an early Sea Dweller (2000 ft model), met the bloke in a well known Covent Garden pub & was presented with a tatty & scratched to hell watch, wrong bracelet etc. He even dropped it into his pint to prove it's waterproofing!!

I took a real chance on it being a "goodun" and paid the £250 asking price. A couple of weeks later I went to a top end city jeweller to ask for it to be tarted up & serviced. Instead of being thrown out for trying to pass off a dodgy fake, the reply came back, "certainly sir, that'll be about 6 weeks" Thank god it was a real one.

I was later presented with a huge, heavy as hell, beautiful looking bit of kit.

Within two years, it was losing about 5-10 minutes per day & I couldn't be bothered to pay to have it serviced again so thought of selling it to pay a deposit on a brand new target rifle I was having built. I took it to a dealer in Bond Street who offered £750 for it, then upped it to £850 as I was walking to the door.

I took the cash, bought the rifle but still wished to Christ I'd kept it as that model is now north of £5k..........

I'd never buy another one, just wished I still had that one.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, Rolex's. I always wanted one as a young, daft lad.

I answered an ad in the London evening standard newspaper back in 1984 to someone selling an early Sea Dweller (2000 ft model), met the bloke in a well known Covent Garden pub & was presented with a tatty & scratched to hell watch, wrong bracelet etc. He even dropped it into his pint to prove it's waterproofing!!

I took a real chance on it being a "goodun" and paid the £250 asking price. A couple of weeks later I went to a top end city jeweller to ask for it to be tarted up & serviced. Instead of being thrown out for trying to pass off a dodgy fake, the reply came back, "certainly sir, that'll be about 6 weeks" Thank god it was a real one.

I was later presented with a huge, heavy as hell, beautiful looking bit of kit.

Within two years, it was losing about 5-10 minutes per day & I couldn't be bothered to pay to have it serviced again so thought of selling it to pay a deposit on a brand new target rifle I was having built. I took it to a dealer in Bond Street who offered £750 for it, then upped it to £850 as I was walking to the door.

I took the cash, bought the rifle but still wished to Christ I'd kept it as that model is now north of £5k..........

I'd never buy another one, just wished I still had that one.

Ha! - great story! :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a 1983 Sub / Date which i bought from new for £522 all those years ago & a 1975 Omega Speedmaster Mark III

300wm , I have a new style Fifty Fathoms on bracelet which i can't remember the last time i wore which is sad .

and a few others ....

OSOK

I had a Rolex Oyster with a Champagne face and after a few years found that I had to squint my eyes and tilt the watch to see the time so bought an Omega Sea master professional with a black face and much bigger.

Then when the annual household and contents insurance became due the Rolex became a bit of a nuisance so sold it.

I had it for about ten years but hadn't had it serviced so when I sold it that was a point not in my favour so sold it at a loss.

I am, however, very pleased with my Omega, so until my eyes fade to the extent that I can't see the time from that, then it will do.

I have a 1983 Sub / Date which i bought from new for £522 all those years ago & a 1975 Omega Speedmaster Mark III

300wm , I have a new style Fifty Fathoms on bracelet which i can't remember the last time i wore which is sad .

and a few others ....

OSOK

If you ever decide you want rid of your Blancpain FF then you know where to find me :)

Ever heard of the dirty dozen guys ?

I don't mean the film, I mean the dozen highly collectable military issued watches.

A friend of mine has just turned up one of the rarer ones in his father in laws drawer after he recently died.

I,ll find out which one it is.

Yup - they were the 12 manufacturers of the British military 'Watch, Wrist, Waterproof' or W.W.W.

Military watches are very addictive to collectors, especially as the supply is finite. Prices for these have gone through the roof in recent years.

post-11576-0-07471300-1456576630.jpeg

No , I bought it on bracelet and you also get the strap sold on the non bracelet version . I ordered an extra link with mine .

I've also had two AP's , Safari & Shaq both with stunning Hornback straps .

Matt , You couldn't have picked a worst AP earlier in the thread as i do agree but there are some fantastic models from a very top end brand . Also i saw the tongue in cheek association of brands which i'm really glad the wife hasn't seen as my favorite watch is my IWC Big Pilot ;)

Greg .

OSOK it does look stunning on the bracelet, I will definitely be adding one to my collection at some point.

I NEARLY dropped some money the other week on an Omega Ploprof but gave myself a reality check and thought better of it due to its size and shape, I can live with the Deepsea but think the PP would take some adjusting to. I keep changing my mind as for some reason I am constantly drawn to it...

Anybody on here have a PP as their daily wear?

I see the draw to the ploprof but I've always thought after I'd wore it for a while the shape would be wrong somehow, can't explain it .

I don't know of anyone that wears one and I've only seen one on tv , that tall skinny ex swimmer Mark something ?

OSOK

I know what you mean, it looks as if the crown and guard would dig into the forearm. How comfy is the Blancpain to wear? I'd imagine it sits nice and low and fits under a shirt sleeve nicely, does it have a divers extension on the bracelet, if so, could you show me a picture of it?

Unsure of my swimmers, i'm more of a sinker :lol:

Yes it sits lower than either a ploprof or your Deepsea but I must admit whilst the detail is stunning the bracelet is designed for its beauty rather than it's practicality where diving is concerned. There is no adjustment for a wetsuit or minor adjustment for wrist size just remove or add either a link or half link which is easy enough.

Greg

Matt , You couldn't have picked a worst AP earlier in the thread as i do agree but there are some fantastic models from a very top end brand . Also i saw the tongue in cheek association of brands which i'm really glad the wife hasn't seen as my favorite watch is my IWC Big Pilot ;)

:lol::)

My favourite:

post-1450-0-39815700-1457179973_thumb.jpg

Archived