I'm not a WIS, but....Omega, Rolex, TAG etc

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Hi all

It's been a life-long ambition of mine to own a Navitimer. Inspired (at least in part) by this thread, and coupled with the "savings" I've made by not travelling to Canada to shoot F class, I finally took the plunge...

Hope it's of interest!

post-12243-0-88525000-1502728984.gif

post-12243-0-24169800-1502729010.gif

Why are they made so big? They look a bit odd unless you have extra thick wrists...............

Quality self-winding watches of a sensible size (38-39mm diam) are almost impossible to find now.

RePete

Thanks BD and Re-Pete!

Re-Pete: my understanding is that Navitimers were/are made larger so that you can get sensible info out of the slide rule. This one is on the new(ish) in-house B-1 movement which (to my knowledge) only comes with a 46mm face, at least in the Nav. It's certainly a bit clunkier than my quartz watches but not annoyingly so.

As for other self-winding watches, perhaps someone more "in the know" can answer that one - I expect it has something to do with fashion trends and the fact that you have to fit a mechanical movement inside the case?

Is that around the same size as a Seiko 5 ? I have a Seiko 7006-7080 which is a 19 jewel self-winder, and it's face and action is 30mm in diameter, 10mm thick including the glass.

RePete

Has anyone on here had anything to do with the Clerc brand of watches? I am really liking the look of their Hydroscaph GMT on full bracelet but haven't really found many people who have owned one, some unique design features and an interesting case back for sure.

Has anyone on here had anything to do with the Clerc brand of watches? I am really liking the look of their Hydroscaph GMT on full bracelet but haven't really found many people who have owned one, some unique design features and an interesting case back for sure.

Never heard of them, but just had a quick google. Damn, rather pricey new! I think I'd want to monitor s/h value (value retention)for a while before leaping.

Visually, strike me as a bit Breitlingish and 'busy' to look at.

Looking at the features, they look Ploprofish. (The new Ploprofs are avail in Ti!) I imagine a Ploprof, esp s/h, will better hold its value.

Funny you should mention PPs Brown Dog, I was eyeing up one of the new models up a few months ago but they just look bloody cumbersome, although I do quite like the rose gold model with the dark blue!

I may seek out a Clerc locally and have a look, if I do I will report back with my findings :) think the GMT feature would be great to have.

Archived