Diggle fly shoot

andybrock

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am pretty impressed at the few targets thats been posted, I put the odd long range target up across the fields and ive had some good results, I do snap shooting on the range,varminting stalking, its nice to see some of these half moa all day rifles strutting there stuff, I am liking the 6.5x47 more and more.well done chaps, great shooting.atb swaro

I've typed up the full results and they will go on the Target Shooter facebook page tomorrow but for now:

Custom 1st Steve Barrett 6XC 151 pts

2nd Ian Dixon 6x47 150 pts

3rd Mike Weatherhead 284 145 pts

Small group Steve Barrett 1.75 inches

Factory 1st Darrell Evans 6.5x47 AI 133pts

2nd Chris Gleave 308 AI 116 pts

3rd Yvonne Wilcox 6BR Savage 112 pts

Small group Darrell Evans 1.5 inches

Factory class was won with an AI in 6.5x47?

I'm pretty sure that isn't a factory offering

Yes, it is Mark albeit not a standard catalogue item. Darrel got an add-on to an order for 20-odd 6.5s for some police or military unit. He did tell me who, but I've forgotten the details, not British though. Not that it makes that much difference - he held the GB Factory Rifle 600 yard small group record at one time with a 308 AI and gave the Savage 6.5-284 M12 F-Class out of the box rifles a run for their money.

Yes, it is Mark albeit not a standard catalogue item. Darrel got an add-on to an order for 20-odd 6.5s for some police or military unit. He did tell me who, but I've forgotten the details, not British though. Not that it makes that much difference - he held the GB Factory Rifle 600 yard small group record at one time with a 308 AI and gave the Savage 6.5-284 M12 F-Class out of the box rifles a run for their money.

Thanks, didn't know that.

Out of curiosity, is there any restriction on front and rear rests in Factory class? i.e. std bipods only?

Mark, the Factory Class in 600 & 1000 yard benchrest is unique to the UKBRA - America (who shoot either NBRSA or IBS rules) don't have this Class - which is for 'out of the box' factory rifles.

One of the universal rules of benchrest is that the front (or rear) rest must NOT be attached to the rifle. So, the usual front and back rests are used by all Classes.

However, many shooters turn up at their first shoot with a bi-pod - we don't turn 'em away but hopefully, if they enjoy benchrest, they see the sense in proper rests and get sorted.

For 100 yd benchrest competition, we've dropped the Factory Class and now have Sporter Class - for anything which isn't a custom HV or LV benchgun. So many shooters have rebarrelled or re-stocked their rifles, it seemed unfair to put 'em in with the full-house benchguns.

Just out of interest what sort of weight are those machine rests some of you were lugging about?

I don't think anyone enjoys lugging a 20lb rest around the range but, if you don't have a bi-pod fixing, it doesn't leave a lot of choice.

I shoot F Open off a bi-pod (and the Fly Shoot) simply because I can't be bothered with carrying a heavy rest.

I don't think anyone enjoys lugging a 20lb rest around the range but, if you don't have a bi-pod fixing, it doesn't leave a lot of choice.

I shoot F Open off a bi-pod (and the Fly Shoot) simply because I can't be bothered with carrying a heavy rest.

get a wheel barrow.must be even harder carrying the bench and the heavy rest lol

Ha ... this is just a bit of mine is bigger than yours boasting Bruce, or in this case mine is heavier than yours! I thought Gary W had a monopoly on posts like this. (Now that he's a star of screen and stage on the Accurate Shooter daily blog, there'll be no living with him now - he'll want the make-up girl to pimp him up a bit before he'll deign to shoot with us in future. :) )

If you or your dad are ever stopped by the police on the M6 with that rifle, I'd love to be a fly on the wall when the coppers ask what's in the coffin shaped box and would Sir like to open it please? (Yes Sir, a 'Heavy Gun' you say, well the Krays tried that one on us too you know.)

Shame you missed it (The Famous Fly) this year! As you can see, a vintage comp ... and nobody got taken off in an ambulance with hypothermia this time round either.

Well more than happy with 5th place overall and the young boy did good coming mid field.

Results here

If he'd been in the correct class with his 6XC Tubb (i.e. Factory) he'd have finished 5th, possibly 4th by my ready reckoning

Not too bad at all for a 13 year old

Archived