Diggle fly shoot

andybrock

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another 6.5 x 47, second detail, AI AX with rebarrel

123g Scenar

IMG_3329_zpseox7i8ig.jpg

Nice mate is that better than the one that was in pic frame at yours? Or is that it.... Lol. I got out to do some trajectory validation with the .260, it's 100fps slower than I thought. It seems to be doing 2446fps with the 140gr AMAX. Was hitting rocks out to 600. Shooting rabbits out to 498yrds. So looking good mate.

Thanks again.

I've typed up the full results and they will go on the Target Shooter facebook page tomorrow but for now:

Custom 1st Steve Barrett 6XC 151 pts

2nd Ian Dixon 6x47 150 pts

3rd Mike Weatherhead 284 145 pts

Small group Steve Barrett 1.75 inches

Factory 1st Darrell Evans 6.5x47 AI 133pts

2nd Chris Gleave 308 AI 116 pts

3rd Yvonne Wilcox 6BR Savage 112 pts

Small group Darrell Evans 1.5 inches

I've typed up the full results and they will go on the Target Shooter facebook page tomorrow but for now:

Custom 1st Steve Barrett 6XC 151 pts

2nd Ian Dixon 6x47 150 pts

3rd Mike Weatherhead 284 145 pts

Small group Steve Barrett 1.75 inches

Factory 1st Darrell Evans 6.5x47 AI 133pts

2nd Chris Gleave 308 AI 116 pts

3rd Yvonne Wilcox 6BR Savage 112 pts

Small group Darrell Evans 1.5 inches

Excellent shooting. Any info/photos of Steve's 6XC? I'm always keen to see what other folk's 6XCs look like. Thanks JCS

Vince- the basic score comes from the 15 shots scored conventionally on the rings.Can you remind me how the secondary score is derived (maybe a 10 point 'bonus' for fly/near enough fly hit.... sort of xbull-points are somewhat arbitrary,but won't be applied very much! Or maybe it's a 'group size " composite of some non additive calculation? Thanks.

gbal

I had every intention of competing this year but the traffic was dead against me.

A journey on the M5 on Saturday that would normally take me 80 mins took 3 3/4 hrs so I decided not to chance the M5 and M6 for the Fly Shoot. As it so happens the same stretch of motorway on Sunday was murder so it was the correct call.

How did you guys who travelled from the South achieve it?

Somebody must of swatted the fly then

Neil,largely irrelevant-though having just missed,I'd have prefered a little edge nick-BUT:

Among a few others,JohnMH's target evidences very fine shooting-any basic 15shot score over 100 is very good. Within that 15 shots -and most/all willhave to be 7 ring/better- it's really chance whether one swats the fly- any might have,skill driven.

Not so the 'fluke' swat and 14 others miscellaneously around the target...or backstop.

As in much shooting,it's the hits/misses ratio that matters (and by how much for 'misses' as competition 'bulls ' are somewhat arbitrary size.)

The consequences of each hit or miss can also vary. Add in 'false hits' (aka 'friendly fire') and mssing just one nuclear incoming......

Though much of the detailed research work on this was by psychologists (not Freud!) with radar operators,it applies surprisingly generally in all sorts of real life scenarios.

g

Vince- the basic score comes from the 15 shots scored conventionally on the rings.Can you remind me how the secondary score is derived (maybe a 10 point 'bonus' for fly/near enough fly hit.... sort of xbull-points are somewhat arbitrary,but won't be applied very much! Or maybe it's a 'group size " composite of some non additive calculation? Thanks.

gbal

The 'group bonus' comes from your group size in inches deducted from 10 - so a four inch group (anything from 4.00 to 4.999) get 6 bonus points.

FullSizeRender_zpsx4lru9lt.jpgell

This was my first attempt at the fly shoot, in fact it was my first attemp at any sort of comp

Thought I'd give the 22-250 an outing having only done load development with it since I got it back from Baldie with a 8 twist barrel and this put me in the 'custom' bracket along with all the F class rigs

I must say that I had a great day with a friendly bunch of folks and many thanks to Vince for showing me the ropes and disscussing the club attributes

The two things that I can say that I picked up from the fly shoot was 1) dont shoot with a mod on as it created havoc with my second group (8") with the heat haze coming off it and distorting sight picture hugely, so had to really try hard with POA with third group and 2) I really do need more than 25 power for serious target shooting so I can see fall of shot as I go

But all in all I was happy with the day and didn't disgrace myself espesially with using the little 224 compared to all the 6, 6.5, 308 etc that were on the firing line, I guess I was midrange of the 70 odd shooters that attended so very happy with that result, may now have the bug, to a small degree, to try F class,

many thanks to all once again and I will be back!!!

Excellent shooting. Any info/photos of Steve's 6XC? I'm always keen to see what other folk's 6XCs look like. Thanks JCS

Vince is mistaken here John. Steve Barrett shot his 'straight 284' F-Class rifle yesterday. (His XC isn't chambered for the standard Tubb 6XC anyway, it's a modified number titled '6mm Barrett ABS', the 'ABS' bit an abbreviation of 'Awkward stripey deckchair Short' that he and UKV member Luke Wadsworth and also one of yesterday's Fly competitors cooked up between them.)

No, don't ask .......... !

Edit ..... Hmmm, UKV politically correct software at work again, stripey deckchair being a perfectly legitimate longstanding English word defined as one who was born out of wedlock and the 6mm Barrett ABS definitely meets that definition. :)

Vince is mistaken here John. Steve Barrett shot his 'straight 284' F-Class rifle yesterday. (His XC isn't chambered for the standard Tubb 6XC anyway, it's a modified number titled '6mm Barrett ABS', the 'ABS' bit an abbreviation of 'Awkward stripey deckchair Short' that he and UKV member Luke Wadsworth and also one of yesterday's Fly competitors cooked up between them.)

Edit ..... Hmmm, UKV politically correct software at work again, stripey deckchair being a perfectly legitimate longstanding English word defined as one who was born out of wedlock and the 6mm Barrett ABS definitely meets that definition. :)

Laurie. Thanks, that makes a bit more sense now. Best regards John

I stand corrected - Steve holds the UK 1000 yard 10-shot group record with this rifle. I thought is was his 6XC 'cause that's an ugly-looking rifle - didn't realise he had two ugly guns!

If he was using the stolen off a building site alloy reinforcing strut stock, I think he's swapping barreled actions in it. I'm sure it's a plot to arouse maximum disgust from you Vince!

Archived