4X4 Estate as a shooting/dog vehicle

Akeld

Hello all, in the past I've had defenders, hiluxs vitaras etc but does anyone use an AWD estate car, my first shooting car was a Toyota Tercel which although scruffy, never let me down, this was followed by a Subaru GL (boxy pre legacy model) this again was great. I suppose the real advantage is comfort with perhaps a disadvantage of low height, but I can always shoot from the roof. For really crappy conditions I have the quad to fall back on. I'm really leaning towards buying another, what are you using?

How about this? - a potential problem could be that at 130k, the turbo could be on it's way out. £1395 in the windscreen, £790 in the ad - they must want to shift it!

Autotrader octavia 4x4

I've heard great things about the Subaru Forester

i used to have a NA forrester and it was brilliant got most sensible places off road but a bit tidy for just shooting from ,easy to fix and not to bad on costs but not brilliant mpg 30ish

I was also looking at a jimny, I know they have a good following but the running costs seem high, mid thirtys mpg, high tax for a small engine as well :o

Try high twenties , I hired one the other month whilst overseas , drank nearly as much as my RR !

Suzuki Jimmy is a great budget choice

Forrester or Legacy is Bull Lurcher boys weapon of choice

Forresters have a preclusion for centre diffs, ,,,,

I wouldn't buy a first gen Scooby diesel engine, they go bang fairly often

The flat 6 Legacies are nice (but thirsty), mine won't see any off road as its the Spec B,,, :wub:

The Jeep Grand Cherokee is what I use. Seriously good value for money as there are loads on EBAY because they are too expensive to run day to day ( I am getting 20 mpg on a run - 15 urban ) This one has 100k on it ( not high for a straight 6 ) and cost me £500. All I ever done was replace thew shocks and give it a service.

But if you are only using them for shooting - thats not so much an issue. Great off road - mine is as good as the Shogun it replaced. I have removed the rear seats and that gives me a 6" long by 4" wide load bay.

I even threw an inflatable matress and sleeping bag in it to use as a camper on a recent tour of Omaha beach and the surrounding area.

Grand%20Cherokee%20-%20Sherman-1_zpswhr8

The Jeep Grand Cherokee is what I use. Seriously good value for money as there are loads on EBAY because they are too expensive to run day to day ( I am getting 20 mpg on a run - 15 urban ) This one has 100k on it ( not high for a straight 6 ) and cost me £500. All I ever done was replace thew shocks and give it a service.

But if you are only using them for shooting - thats not so much an issue. Great off road - mine is as good as the Shogun it replaced. I have removed the rear seats and that gives me a 6" long by 4" wide load bay.

I even threw an inflatable matress and sleeping bag in it to use as a camper on a recent tour of Omaha beach and the surrounding area.

Grand%20Cherokee%20-%20Sherman-1_zpswhr8

Noooooo , check out the price of Jeep spares ,they go wrong as often as Land Rovers but the spares are 10x dearer.

2 yrs now and apart from shocks - no spares needed.

Service bits same price as any other vehicle.

Shocks ( genuine jeep ) from USA via Ebay for £18 each !!!

After 2 yrs, I have gotten my monies worth - if it died in the morning I would quite happily walk away from it.

Guest Stacka

What's wrong with a A4 All Road?

I just brought a new car from Audi and the customer service is amazing

Nice 4x4 which doubles as family car and dog car.

And use your quad for hunting

What's wrong with a A4 All Road?

I just brought a new car from Audi and the customer service is amazing

Nice 4x4 which doubles as family car and dog car.

And use your quad for hunting

Just Google Audi All Road problems ;(

Take a 4x4 car too far off the farm drive and you'll break it. Stubblefields will shake it to bits, and byways that proper 4x4's use will be an absolute no go area. Get into some fallow and youre looking at broken suspension for carcass retrieval. 4x4 cars are not off road vehicles-fact.

Use enough truck and keep dead stuff on the outside

My experience of using Subaru Forester petrol 2.5XT for past 7 or so yrs to 140K now - bulletproof but always used some oil. Only unusual replacements were rear springs & shocks - 1st owner towed vans. Thankfully, couldn't source exhaust parts behind the cat' so had stainless one fabricated for £275 with lifetime warranty instead of ex factory at £1200 - no brainer!

Very sure footed for limited off road use, went well where Discos struggled - use set of snow tyres when temp below 8 Celsius = no more expensive than summer boots. Cracking for 200+ mile trips to Scottish Borders but thirsty around town.

Take a 4x4 car too far off the farm drive and you'll break it. Stubblefields will shake it to bits, and byways that proper 4x4's use will be an absolute no go area. Get into some fallow and youre looking at broken suspension for carcass retrieval. 4x4 cars are not off road vehicles-fact.

Use enough truck and keep dead stuff on the outside

Good points Gary

If you can find a rot free 200/300tdi Discovery that's mechanically good it will last you a long while , they are cheap to buy, spares are cheap and you can get 30mpg or more, they do go wrong as does everything else but they are very very easy to work on , loads of room in the cab as well.

Jap stuff is very good if its been maintained , most old Jap 4x4s have not , spares can be very expensive if needed and diagnostic kit is often required, , avoid soft roaders, 4x4 cars and anything made in Korea.

My experience of using Subaru Forester petrol 2.5XT for past 7 or so yrs to 140K now - bulletproof but always used some oil. Only unusual replacements were rear springs & shocks - 1st owner towed vans. Thankfully, couldn't source exhaust parts behind the cat' so had stainless one fabricated for £275 with lifetime warranty instead of ex factory at £1200 - no brainer!

Very sure footed for limited off road use, went well where Discos struggled - use set of snow tyres when temp below 8 Celsius = no more expensive than summer boots. Cracking for 200+ mile trips to Scottish Borders but thirsty around town.

I have been looking at the Forester, but am a bit put of my the alleged service cost. How much does a full service cost?

Kev

Noooooo , check out the price of Jeep spares ,they wrong as often as Land Rovers but the spares are 10x dearer.

you are so right ABOUT THE SPARES COSTS i had one for a few years ,very capable off road and the MOST COMFORTABLE car to drive but wow spare prices were crippling !,also my garage hated working on it just no room for access

Archived