.270 Win as a long range target / tactical rifle.

ezmobile

These are all great arguments with shooters claiming great performance from their rifles - exmarksman, drop the 'ex' and bring that 270 to Diggle's Fly Shoot next Sunday - we'd all love to see it!

:) :)

These are all great arguments with shooters claiming great performance from their rifles - exmarksman, drop the 'ex' and bring that 270 to Diggle's Fly Shoot next Sunday - we'd all love to see it!

I would luv to - but its at the the restorer....my grandfather had one for stalking many many years ago.... so when i got the chance i snapped it up...soon as its back i will get the pics posted.....cheers...p.s where is diggles fly shoot ???? Im at scottish borders.

:) :)

I have a 39 year old brno zkk 600 .270..will clover leaf at 100m easy...a fIne well built rifle and very Accurate...dont judge the calibre because of your poor rifle and class all the same -

Legend!

I would luv to - but its at the the restorer....my grandfather had one for stalking many many years ago.... so when i got the chance i snapped it up...soon as its back i will get the pics posted.....cheers...p.s where is diggles fly shoot ???? Im at scottish borders.

Diggle is situated about 10 miles north-east of Manchester.

But there is nothing stopping you from chambering a long action into a short action cartridge is there? Plenty of Tikka T3s out there in short action chamberings.

Nothing at all, but the T3 has the benefit of being designed that way with magazine systems to suit.

You sometimes run into mag problems.

I think the .270 as one of the most popular larger long action cartridges is often the first large capacity cartridge (I will refrain from using "Magnum"!) some people have experience of shooting

As a result the perceived recoil is the thing that people come away with. usually based on the increase from whatever short action cartridge they may have experienced before

Recoil is a consequence of mass vs acceleration, directly linked to charge volume and weight (both bullet and rifle)

Perceived recoil is not, and can be massively affected by fit, eye relief, shooter's ability and position

I had a .243 that fitted like a cheap suit (too short and very light) and used to kick lumps out of me, my current .270 fits like a glove and is no more noticeable than any other mid sized CF cartridge

I first shot a .270 aged 12. shot my first deer with one at 15 and will always own one. It will always be unmoderated

IMO you don't often get inaccurate cartridges...just inaccurate rifles

granted some cartridges have inherently greater accuracy potential through better efficiency or projectiles available

As a high BC bullet there are better ones but you can get a 0.495 to 0.525 out of the 140-150 Hornady SST's

makes a good cross over if you only have one rifle and wish to have a crack at some LR targets but is not the place to start as a dedicated target round

But I have personally used the 135gr SMK to good effect out to 600yds

I have the advantage of using them with the same load I use on 130gr SP's with identical results so a good switch for FMJ only ranges

One of the great marmite rounds you either love it or hate it. Mines a battered old Sako 75 LH. Accurate and comfortable enough on the range but where it really works is in the field where it is simply a death ray. The manufacturers have also been kind enough to set it up so you can be sure it's gone off properly, no anaemic pops from these. Also makes a very entertaining occasional Mc Queens rifle.

Quite a few of you are familiar with me praising my 6.5 06, I neck down 270 norma brass, so same case, its not unpleasant to shoot but I use a mod or a brake, it is very accurate, its good at 1000yds, I would like to see gp getting the best out of it benchrested to really see what is capable of, probaly its best asset is the high bc 140gr bullets,the 270 hasnt got so good bullet options, gp has said before the 26 inch barrel is a tad short to be really competitive, it does what it want it to do, stalker, varminter and a 1000yd range rifle,26 inch is as long as I wanna go as I am not a br or ft shooter, i would go with the better options thats already been mentioned if I was to do br or ft

• 2 months later...

I've had 2 270s and a 270 WSM. Oddly enough the WSM was the tamest of the three to shoot and was a very light rifle. The Anschutz/Savage was reasonably heavy and would give 1.5" on a very good day. The Sako was a delux and reasonably heavy but it was a stripey deckchair to shoot and after 5 or more rounds, you had had enough. I would say my Marlin 45/70 on full load is more comfortable to shoot. I firmly believe the accuracy of the Sako was so poor as you knew you were about to be abused when you pulled the trigger. Oddly enough a friend had the same era 243 Sako and that was uncomfortable as well. We put this down to stock design.

On reloading the Sierra 135s are the only real bullet that gave excellent accuracy with the WSM, It is probably the only designated target bullet readily available. If I had the old 270s I would bet that I could get them grouping reasonably, but you are so limited on the .277 bullets, that either a 6.5 or 7mm makes so much more sense. My 270WSM would outshoot my 6.5 x 47 at any range out to 1000 yards.

• 2 years later...
On 23/07/2015 at 1:57 PM, ezmobile said:

Here's one for you to ponder. Has anyone tried to use or build a precision long range target or tactical rifle based around the .270 round?

I only seem to have heard of it as a great deer rifle etc, but with the right bullets, match barrel and all is it something that would work?

any thoughts or experience would be useful

All the best

I specifically use a 270 for target shooting, and as my main foxing round, when not using a 300WM. 

The 270 has better ballistics than a 308,and it's a heavy barreled rifle, so with a sound moderator, it's a delight to shoot. 

In fact,  I only only these two centrefires now, as there's absolutely no point owning a smaller centrefire,  as there's no argument even in the safety department.  Choose your back stop, choose the type of bullet structure carefully.  

There's not much can't do with a 270. 

1 hour ago, Kalahari said:

Never really understood the need for the 270w when the 7 x 64 had been around for years and really worked well and had bullets with a better BC.

David.

Perhaps not so much as a ballistic need fulfilled as a commercial opportunity identified and taken?

• 7 months later...

I use a 270 Winchester TIKKA M65 rifle for many things, when I'm not using my 300 Win Mag. 

The 270 is extremely accurate, shoots flatter, drfts less, and generally hits harder than most 308 rounds. I don't find the recoil at all noticeable 

Muzzle blast is irrelevant, as I always use a sound suppressor. As for barrel life, who knows? I don't really care either, as if I shoot it out, I'll get it re - barreled. 

I've out shot people using AW's, and they and their equipment, don't suck; so a 270 can't be that bad. 

I regard most negative remarks regarding the 270 as far fetched, the same as the supposedly all singing and dancing hype of the  6.5 Creedmoor, as hype too. You get worldwide, historical, and unjustified opinions on what's good and what's not in the shooting world, and putting down the 270 is one of them. 

Similar hearsay has been levelled against the 9mm v 45 ACP and the 44 magnum v 357, for self defence. The age old subterfuge that the 45 ACP is a better self defence round, are unfounded , as does the nonsense that a 44 magnum has too much recoil for self defence. 

Be different, get a heavy barreled 6.8...... Whoops, I mean 270, and enjoy its great ballistics, worldwide ease of ammunition, and then realise why, as a, hunting round, it came out in the top three ever ( if I remember correctly). 

Archived