Nesting woodpidgeon ?

gunner

Hi all , i put this at the top so its seen quickly , i just said to a neighbour who was just about to cut down a large bush where pidgoen have a nest with eggs in , its been sitting on them almost 24/7 , does anyone know if theres any law or rules on not disturbing an active nest ? Id personnely like to see them fledge and leave natrually , Yes i shoot , but come breeding season i regulate my decoying accordingly , also have bluetits nested every year , its great to see . I still understand in some areas they just are causing so much damage they still have to be shot . Anyone know ? Could they be breaking the law if they carry on ? Thanks guys , ill let them know either way , its there garden !

good morning,it is illegal to disturb nesting birds contact the RSPB they can confirm this and if reported your neighbour could be prosecuted,tell him to leave them alone until October.

Thanks for confirming, if i understand correctly , it could be 5k fine or up to 6 months cell . I looked it on the rspb website just after posting , i wont report them im not like that , but they had allready sawn half way thru and altho its still standing , i think they have allready scared the mother off for good , i can still see the eggs ! Bugger , i hope she comes back later , she may be out feeding . Atb

Theyd recently moved in , if i cut it ? I wouldn't because i knew it has an active nest ! I believe they knew it was there because they had cut 90 % of it just leaving that section . I think they decided to " just do it " but now knowing they wanted rid , i dont think they would report me--- if i did cut it ! Would you cut it ? Big risk if you did , rules are rules , like rules on your fac about keeping firearms- , yes , i have to live next-door , together with there barking dogs ( sometimes all day ) but that a different matter ,

see even now i remember last year in the ash tree next to it , that had carrion crow nest in , i had my 177 set up ready , but had to leave it because i couldn't confirm it had eggs or chicks - the nest was there , from the previous year ! Think its too late now for the pidgeon , i havnt seen the parent bird since earlier !

Ah , i see . Naa i dont recon they would , but then iv only just met them a week ago . I doubt there as much an animal lover as i am . Moreso than an average Joe . So hence they didn't even notice the birds nest . It must happen often i guess . Iv seen squabs before, allot in the hyde as early as January !!! Easily spotted by no white neck band . Those are left to fly away to be given a chance , but never been lucky enough to witness a clutch of woodies ! Arse ! Atb .

Really a pigeon

We take trees down everyday and always come across pigeons, we reckon they breed all most all year round

There a pain and there's to many of them so just get on with it and get the job done

Archived