New Ruger Precision Rifle

Shuggy

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are some similarities but its not anywhere near a McMillan.

Will be interesting to see how they sell over here, if at all.

Once a few UK journos have done a positive write up I think they`ll romp out over here ,I`d buy one if there was enough room in my cabinet.

Once a few UK journos have done a positive write up I think they`ll romp out over here.

I think that's a foregone conclusion - I'm pretty sure that Pete Moore among others will be drooling over it already. Let's face it, products like this don't get bad reviews. That aside, I suspect that this rifle will earn positive criticism on its own merits.

Great review. I'm trying to spot the key feature that's allowed them to put the axis of the bore in line with the buffer tube - the XLR and MDTs have always struck me as having their bore axis 'high' with the bolts cycling above the buffer tube; this thing is smack in line.

Good point, how often do we require the comb to be heightened to use a stock with a scoped rifle? I have often looked at the pierce tube guns which have been around a while:

pierce_zps5uekl9dw.jpg

I think that's a foregone conclusion - I'm pretty sure that Pete Moore among others will be drooling over it already. Let's face it, products like this don't get bad reviews. That aside, I suspect that this rifle will earn positive criticism on its own merits.

I`m not so sure I`d listen to Pete Moore but would certainly take note of Bruce Potts comments.:)

The in line bolt is not a difficult concept ...it's usually made easier by a smaller than average bolt diameter, but a normal diameter could be used, it would just need the magwell and trigger height ratios altering.

Can't really tell from the pics, but the bolt looks possibly 3 lug ? That would allow the bottom lug out of battery to sweep the magazine and feed.

At last a departure from the controlled feed mauser...... :)

This rifle owes more than a nodding wink to the macmillan.....there are a lot of borrowed ideas in there.

The barrel nut is indeed AR ....but the locking nut is Savage. Easy barrel changes and headspace customisation.

That puppy will sell....

Today's Accurate Shooter has a brief review of the Ruger PR.

Brief,but covers the bottom line (all the techy stuff is elsewhere-though it seems the trigger isn't upgradeable):

"Great value entry level rifle" seems fair; tested 3 shot (?) accuracy was sub 1 moa,but not better than .5 moa...

As it happens,the next item is a custom 6.5x47 on a Rem action,Brux,McM thumbhole shooting (one) 5 shot .20 moa group.

Seems to outline the options-the custom costs more (x2 or 3) but delivers more precision in proportion.

Aesthetics etc differ,of course,as does whether such performance or features are needed in particular applications.

But choice has widened.

gbal

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What a nice looking rifle.

Do people think the 20 inch barrel on the .308 model enough for 1000 yards and beyond?

I saw the 1600 yards quote on the website, but is that just for the 6.5mm CM?

(I'm new to long range shooting and I'm trying to figure out why there is such a difference in the barrel lengths between the different models.)

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a creedmoor two months ago but not expected until January as they are so many orders for them - spoke to Viking yesterday and i have to say they were very helpful and a good bunch

Spud i will be ordering some dies from you shortly

I ordered a creedmoor two months ago but not expected until January as they are so many orders for them - spoke to Viking yesterday and i have to say they were very helpful and a good bunch

Spud i will be ordering some dies from you shortly

I must admit I do like the look of them,they resemble the 338lm barret 98 bravo, cant say see ive seen any impressive grouping as yet on youtube, I am hoping too though.

http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hide/story/1564384-the-ruger-precision-rifle-6-5-cm

Archived