New Ruger Precision Rifle

Shuggy

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's quite impressive when a firearms company does thorough research on what people actually want - and then goes and designs it. So few of them do!

The ability to magazine rest with a 25 round PMAG might interest the CSR folks.

It's quite impressive when a firearms company does thorough research on what people actually want - and then goes and designs it. So few of them do!

The ability to magazine rest with a 25 round PMAG might interest the CSR folks.

No,

Those poofters (not that I'm in any way being a poofist) would end up shooting these in Practical class, where they can use bipods, Hubble telescopes and lightweight triggers.

At it's a 6.5, the calibre would be frowned upon in Service class, so there would be no requirement to mag rest.

Apart from that, the 6.5CM is only available with a 24" barrelled weighs 10.6lbs nekkid, so an AR Carbinealikey it still ain't

I'm keen to see this in the flesh, it's almost too good to be true. As Shuggy says, it's nice to see a company actually give the customer what he asks for.

There appear to be loads of innovative features in the design. I especially like that it uses an AR15 style barrel nut. This opens up the possibility of user changed prefit barrels. On the negative side, the Ruger American from which this is derived has had a bit of a mixed reception.

I doubt very much that this will stop me saving for an AI AT, but it looks like an ideal entry level rifle for many people.

Im not convinced

The drawing shows the clamshell "halves", there is a single bolt holding the action in place (parts 101 and 85), but NO rear action bolt..... the clam shells appear to slide into part 73 and drawn into place using allen bolt 94

I don't doubt Franks review of accuracy, but long term I do not think the action retention (lock up) is a strong or reliable design (though easily and cheaply fixed with replacement parts from R no doubt.

It does look pretty good and the example in the review sure shoots

What I like is a large mainstream maker is getting into a repeating bolt gun that takes , double feed / double stack mags , just a little shame they did not use a mag with a bit longer internal lenght like the AW , but at its price nothing else is even close at the moment .

All I can say is can you find brass for the 6.5CM?

I have boxes of the stuff and dies on the shelf.

The Creedmoor is fast eclipsing both the 6.5 x 47 and the .260. It can be formed from allsorts of cases if required.

2 x creedmoors going to proof at 5 in the morning along with a boxful of AR,s.

My next barrel on the AX if I get a minute this week.

There does not seem to be any negative comments on it , I think it will do well here as well as in the US , its good that some manufactures do take note of what`s being built in the custom world and offer the customer something similar , it happens in the motorcycle world a lot.

If it comes in at around £1400 it`s sure to be a winner, I guess Remy will follow soon with something affordable instead of the $3000 Mod 700 Tactical Chassis :)

Another review, complete with a detailed tear down. They confirm that the clamshell lowers are not a recoil load bearing or bedding structure. Overall...it looks like a very neat design.

http://www.realguns.com/articles/726.htm

I think it will be a winner for the money , the .308 is only 30.6" long with the stock folded , ideal for getting out the 4x4 window :) , only negative I can see is the weight , a night of carrying that with a 2lb NV scope , mod and bipod and all you other kit for 6-7 hours will keep you fit or kill you :)

Another review, complete with a detailed tear down. They confirm that the clamshell lowers are not a recoil load bearing or bedding structure. Overall...it looks like a very neat design.

http://www.realguns.com/articles/726.htm

Great review. I'm trying to spot the key feature that's allowed them to put the axis of the bore in line with the buffer tube - the XLR and MDTs have always struck me as having their bore axis 'high' with the bolts cycling above the buffer tube; this thing is smack in line.

inline_zpsbfimlidy.png

I can see the obvious 'shroud cleverness', but any shroud could be given the space to 'come back'. What's the enabler? Shorter height (top to bottom) trigger group?

Love the AR barrel nut feature - presumably this could be done to any chassis rifle?

barrel%20nut_zpscinfkckq.png

barrel%20nut%202_zpsp4c5wtar.png

Archived