An Afternoon Rabbit Hunt - July 2015

Elliott

Nice quality vid.

What sling is that your using?

Thanks. It's a 3HGR sling which is designed and manufactured in Finland. Should be distributed and available from the UK soon. I have two slings on test, the second of which is on the. 223 and has a handy little feature.

Should have the review uploaded within the next couple of weeks

It is a good video, but why oh why do people set the camera down and then film themselves stalking towards the camera? just makes it very "airgun world" and spoils what's otherwise a great video.....IMHO.

It is a good video, but why oh why do people set the camera down and then film themselves stalking towards the camera? just makes it very "airgun world" and spoils what's otherwise a great video.....IMHO.

Ha Ha :D Sorry

I usually think the more camera angles the better and that's how I record the footage - different perspectives an' all that :)

Elliot, this is a well made video,capturing pretty well this kind of local opportunity shots for a couple of bunnies. The use of camera angles is a legitimate-I thought quite effective-filming technique,maybe suggestive of the rabbits' view...? Thankfully,completely free of spurious ballistic comment.

Just a small bag....but I hope you remembered to pick your small bag up on the way back... :-)

gbal

Elliot, this is a well made video,capturing pretty well this kind of local opportunity shots for a couple of bunnies. The use of camera angles is a legitimate-I thought quite effective-filming technique,maybe suggestive of the rabbits' view...? Thankfully,completely free of spurious ballistic comment.

Just a small bag....but I hope you remembered to pick your small bag up on the way back... :-)

gbal

Cheers gbal

How do you ever shoot so many rabbits?. The camera crew must severely cramp your style. You make Simon King look like an amateur LOL :D

Ha ha :D

What ranges were you shooting at?

Hi Mouser, not that far. First one was at 60m and the second one at 70m

Gents, having watched the video I am quite impressed with the camera angles and post editing work. However, I do have one concern which may bring me flak from some quarters, mainly that the video appears to show the shooter making ready, applying the safety and then putting the rifle in this condition over the shoulder.

If this is indeed the case, I would consider it very poor practice and one not to be encouraged: there is just no need when hunting rabbits. Having had to carry firearms all my working life, I can only see two occasions when carrying a rifle made ready with the safety applied would be necessary: one is whilst on active service, the other whilst hunting dangerous game and the risks of the prey outweigh the risk of a failed safety. To quantify that concern, I know of at least two occasions when a failed safety caused injury, in one case a fatality. As such I would ask those who may not have had formal training yet carry there firearms in such a condition to think very, very carefully about their actions. Awaiting incoming!

Missed,no flak,you raise the important issue of safety-probably self safety in these contexts.

We have this issue from time to time,rightly so.I don't want to comment on any one instance (and accept your two exceptions to the general safety rules-even with safety catch off.)

Can we all agree at the start that the only completely safe firearm is one in which the live ammunition is not in the rifle? Any other situation is potentialy a negligent or accidental discharge-whatever it's label,it means the rifle containing live ammo may fire,due to mechanical failure,safety/trigger snagging on something,or human error. The liklihoods vary considerably.

There may be some contexts where absolute safety,as above,can be tolerably changed-by a calm,experienced shooter. Simple convenience is seldom one of those,especially when reliance is placed on a mechanical safety catch/similar alone.Bolt closed on empty chamber,magazine then inserted might be one such,say in the final stages of a stalk. Then the slightly increased risk (largely human error here) might be acceptable,though it is not mandatory (never is-Missed's two exceptions granted).

gbal

"All the pheasants ever bred,are not worth one man dead" and add in AOLQ

Archived