Creedmoor Cup 2015

ejg223

The Creedmoor Cup is a traditional event between the USA and Ireland. A GB team could not compete for the trophy and only shoot alongside.

We also had an important National F class league shoot at Bisley that weekend and also the start of the Imperial the following week.

So we decided not to send a GB team to this event. There may have been individual GB entrants but that may be why no Union Jack was flown?

Regards

David.

GB F Open team captain.

The Creedmoor Cup US/IRL was shot on Sunday and Monday. Wednesday to Sat were the Emerald Matches as far as I understood, the Australians and South Africans formed a team for that. One match was shot at 1100 & 1200yds F-Open and F/TR. I did not see any shooters from England however I was only there on Sat and Sunday.

edi

The Irish shooters support Bisley each year,i am told .This is odd, no Uk shooters turned up :huh:.

Didn't you read my reply above!

We also had a number of Irish attending our national league shoot that same weekend.

Always awkward when two comps collide, that is very understandable.

Next time it will come together again.

Previous Creedmoor Cup we had quite a few UK shooters present.

I think we will see plenty more international shooters visiting as the range is getting better every year. We'll be seeing more competitors from the continent also.

Plenty accommodation in the area. We paid 40 Euro for a single room per night.

edi

Put on a Service Rifle match Edi and we'll all come over :)

not sure if the range caters for that type of comp. I have very little (nothing) to do with the range and only visit every now and then as I live on the south coast. Our Wild Deer Association holds shoots at the range and are well catered for, meaning they might be flexible. Try contact JP Craven directly for info http://nationalshootingcentre.ie/

edi

• 2 weeks later...

HI All

I took part in this event as part of SHIRT - Southern Hemisphere Invitational Rifle Team

We did well as a Team and Individuals. I ended 2nd overall in the Individuals

and second in the Teams match for which I was Wind Coach

The SHIRT Team consisted of:

Name OriginRoleClaim to Fame

LINDA GALLAGHER : Australia : Captain : Captain AUS to F-Open Gold in Worlds’13

TIM STEWART : ex South Africa: Wind Coach / Logistics: Euro’12 FTR Champ / Bronze FTR Worlds’13

HENK VENTER : South Africa : Shooter : GOLD SA Internat. Challenge ‘13 / F-TR Worlds’13

MIKE SAMUELS : Australia : Shooter : GOLD NZ Tour 2015 / Aus QLD State Team

RAY HURLEY : Australia : Shooter : State Team Western Australia

MILES FENLON (Liam's son was shanghied into being our Register Keeper

Range was open and very tough! On all three days of competition we had rear fishtails from 04:00 to 07:00 on occasion running typically 2 to 12 mph with gusts of 20 mph.

Shooters had from 3.0 ma left to up to 7 moa right! 3 to 4 moa swings between shoots were not uncommon.

So misses and 1's were not uncommon. Colourful language was "common"

Numerous shooters commented on the elevations.

Hospitality was great. We had competitor marking - was excellent as a rules with target turn around of +- 10 seconds.

On the historical front; wasn't the Creedmoor Cup originally a Match Rifle discipline??

I think it was, and as it was first shot in 1874 I'd assume they used some kind of Falling block contraption or the like.

Whatever it was, I think it's safe to say they didn't have stainless barrels, Hubbles and lightweight bipods made of some future material known as Aluminium :lol:

I'll just get me coat......

What do they do now?

As far as I understood the same as in 1874 being 800, 900, 1000yds.

At the Emerald Cup which was shot prior to the Creedmoor they shot a 1100 & 1200yd match with F-TR and F-Open.

edi

ps. write up on Boards IE http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057403724

I think it was, and as it was first shot in 1874 I'd assume they used some kind of Falling block contraption or the like.

Whatever it was, I think it's safe to say they didn't have stainless barrels, Hubbles and lightweight bipods made of some future material known as Aluminium :lol:

I'll just get me coat......

Mark,

Yes the first one was shot on Creeds Farm (which reminded someone of the moors of England - hence 'Creedmoor' ) using black powder single shots match rifles.

It also marked the end of the muzzle loaders dominance (Irish Team) with the' short lived' advantage of the BPCR, as you say Sharps or Remington falling blocks, Remington rolling blocks etc.

A 'World Championship' competition in the spirit of the original is shot every few years, different host nations, U.S. in 1999 (from experience :) )

Terry

ps apologies for nerditry

Mark,

Yes the first one was shot on Creeds Farm (which reminded someone of the moors of England - hence 'Creedmoor' ) using black powder single shots match rifles.

It also marked the end of the muzzle loaders dominance (Irish Team) with the' short lived' advantage of the BPCR, as you say Sharps or Remington falling blocks, Remington rolling blocks etc.

A 'World Championship' competition in the spirit of the original is shot every few years, different host nations, U.S. in 1999 (from experience :) )

Terry

ps apologies for nerditry

Here's another piece of history on the match....

http://www.nrai.ie/creedmoor-history.html

Archived