22 subsonic ret?

brown dog

I have just bought an MTC Mamba lite which apparently has a "Small Calibre Ballistic Reticule"

arrives tomorrow so will know more then

bit fussy but should be useful

I actually plan to stick it on the .222 though!

SCB-Combined.gif

Drop at 50y,with 100y zero for 22rf (very minor diffs in a few brands-esp if bullet weight changed):

Standard 40g @ 1085 fps 3.6 inches

CCI subs 40 1050 3.9

Eley 40 1065 3.9

RWS subs 40 1000 4.5

Hi Vel 40 1250 2.8

Hyper vel 40 1435 3.6

Given average grouping is unlikely to be much better than .5 inch,not a lot in it for standard/subs in the normal velocity ranges for those.

Hyper vel might trim 1.5 inches off,and really sub might add almost one inch on.

Unless extreme precision was called for,at 22rf ranges,(and 22rf seldom obliges) one might get by with a reticule calibrated for standard-indeed any of the ammo velocities,and make a slight adjustment maybe for known velocities that differed considerable,at least in a varmint scenario( a shoulder shot allows more than an inch tolerance).

Bewsh-yes,they nearly all need fitting to actual field firing data-the lines don't typically come out at 100/200/300 yds as loads/rifles vary.The 222 is going to drop a tad only in it's effective envelope anyh eg 50g@3150 gives 100y 1.6 200 0 ,but 300 -7.8 inches

gbal

Vortex Diamondback, I have the 2-7X32 on my CZ American 452, zero at 50 yards, first mark down equals 60 yards, next one is 90 and the bottom one is 140.

Anyone familiar with any scopes on the market with a ret calibrated for 22 subsonic yardages?

Have you considered dialling to preset verified marks?

Estimate or better still laser the distance then dial to the preset distance and aim dead on, a very effective way of head shooting rabbits to 100yds.

There was a scope called a BSA 'Sweet 22' which had what you were looking for but it was of very poor quality

Have you considered dialling to preset verified marks?

I'm hoping there's something on the market that has a 22 ret that's marked with the ranges - a bit like on some 5.56 sights

http://bsaguns.co.uk/optics/sweet-17-22.aspx

Ive never seen anything calibrated as your looking for i.e. dedicated to .22LR, drops differ quite a bit depending on the ammo, I find the likes of SK Standard are quite a bit flatter than the likes of Winnies, I imagine this is due to the more streamlined rounded nose.

I was out last week with a friend who had a Leopold set up in a similar way to what your suggesting, we lasered the shots between 50-100yds and he missed at least 25% of them, I head shot 18 with 18 rounds dialling them between 50-102yds in still conditions.

One issue is as Big Al says-some cheap scopes wit BDC are poor quality,and relatively poor tracking. The BSA sweet 22 series were in this category-just Turret approximately calibrated for 36,38 or 40 g bullets-already a bit approximate,as all are not the same within weight dial fitted.Idea was after say zero at 50,you just dial i n the yardage on the turret.

Don't expect side focus often. NUkon Pro Staff are a bit better (at least one is 3-9x40).SEt up here is cross hair is 50y zero,and beneath there are dots marked 75,100,125,150 which might be calibrated for hyper ammo at 1600fps...?

Bushnelll BDC scopes also had BDC Reticule Calibration -one for HV ammo (1200/1350 fps) and one regular ammo (900-1050).There is a brief blurb on it in Accurate Shooter Daily Bulletins.

Subsonics are usually not catered for,perhaps reflecting the sparse use of moderators in US market.

Rapide Reticule BDC is worth a google,as it's calibrated to 220y for HV (good luck with that!) and also 190 for 'subsonic' - fps not specified.

The reticule is essentially a Xmas tree type with the left branches actually marked for "sub" distances from cross hair 50 y zero,and right branches for HV ,so 70,90,110 etc -pretty much as Bewsh's Mamba,but with distances added.The ends of the branches are also the 10mph wind holds.....

It might even be FFP ??-but has at least 12x,and also some 'mil' markings on reticule....

Available....?

These are representative of the approach-either BDC premarked turrets,or pre set reticule markings (some with actual range,some just hatched-find out by field shooting.) Some seem ambitious in range....main issue will be: are the markings accurate...for your preferred ammo (precision unlikely). Minute of large tin can,maybe.

gbal

Most ballistic reticules can be made to work, if you use a different magnification and calculate the ranges which will correspond to the marks. I used a Leupold with their "varmint hunter" reticule, calibrated for centerfires at a couple of pre defined magnifications, on my HMR. using maximum magnification I had holdovers for 90m (zero, and point blank from about 40m) 130m, 170m and 210m, a good set for the calibre. though having a play suggests using it with a .22 may not be so good.

My spreadsheet based ballistic calculator supports this if you have the reticule details handy. I would suggest though looking at the hawke BRC tool, or Strelok which has hundreds of reticles preloaded, then you just play with the zero range and magnification until you get the range intervals you want. The hawke RF reticle seems to get you an aim point for every 20yd.

cheap scopes not tracking are no problem in this application as you wont be dialling anyway...

If you buy any mil dot, or half mil dot scope, down load the Hawke BRC2 app (free) you can choose the mill dot reticule or half mill dot, put in zero range , scope height velocity, scope mag etc, and it will give you all the ranges on the various dots on the scope, including windage, out to about 150 yards. I have a Mamba, on my hornet, and a hawke mill dot on my .22 rimfire it is very accurate, If you download the app you can have a play before you commit to any scope, You can also print off a circular reticule view, I glue this on the inside of the ocular flip up for instant ref.

Adrian,

Download the Hawke BRC2 app its free, you can use it on any mill dot or half mill dot scope, I use it on a Hawke mill dot scope and an MTC Mamba. very accurate as long as you put in the correct data. I zero my .22 rimfire at 40 yards, on a half mill dot scope it gives ranges of 40, 55, 70, 80, 95, 105, 115, 125, 130.

If all the correct data is applied your ranges will be spot on,

http://www.hawkeoptics.co.uk/brc.html

Adrian

Sorry tried to delete?edit first post but failed!

Dylan's point is very relevant-the issue with premarked scopes is that any rifle/ammo just wont do-ie fit,as scope height etc etc just vary too much for 'one reticule fits all trajectories.

Field determined actual shooting data can be 'made' to fit most of them,though,and will work as well as the data input,less the increasing dispersion of 22rf ammo (with distance AND brand).

The other approach which Tasco tried was with a double reticule and variable mag system-bracket your game between the reticules using the variable mag at the calibration mag,then read off the inbuilt distance,and dial it on the marked elevation turret.The scope had about 6 different species on it-gopher to elk. It wasn't for 22rf subsonics,of course.

Did it work-I can honestly say over ten years of use in Scotland,I never missed either a gopher or an elk.

The two reticules could be used thus: top is zero at 200y,and that gives point and shoot for something in the 17rem class to 230 y and the lower set for 6inch drop means it's fine for beyond that to about 330 yards.

And after that,you are in iffy hits land with anything in any wind.As Dylan says,with a few more hatch marks live fire calibrated to your 22 rf scope, this might work for you-and is independent of mediocre dialling turrets (but to me,much beyond 125y is iffy).

gbal

BD,

How about using something like the Mamba lite, say in 4-16, then sorting the zoom setting (in the upper mag range) that gives you 'general' subtensions that corresponds to drops? might not be exact 25-50-75-100 yards etc.

But if you know the distances for each 'dot', all be it they could be 20, 55, 70 & 90 yards, what does it matter - the 'wabbit' will not be sitting at exact distances so you'd be doing hold overs between dots anyway?

Just saying

T

I have a 8x50 on the .22, only ever hold over

MOBE - minute of bunny ear!

helps shooting on a golf course and knowing the holes and yardages

longest ever was a 110yds at a vertical standing rabbit, unlucky for the rabbit I was a little off but as it was standing I got it in the neck! still had room for chest had it dropped further

Archived