Ideas - a bolt action 6.5x47 that points like an AR?

brown dog

I'd like to put together a 6.5x47 bolt rifle that approximates the balance, weight and pointability of an AR carbine, but still shoots precisely to about 600m.

Anyone thought about or done something along these lines?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd go for one of the many tactical chassis systems on offer at present. I have two - MDT Tac21 and KRG X-Ray both on Tikka T3 actions but also available for the Remington 700 footprint. There are other such chassis systems from the like of XLR and others, although many of those available in the US aren't on offer here.

My recommendations wold be the KRG X-Ray or Whisky 3, or one of the XLR systems.

7c99cfc3e260568b61082e16b8a3c008.jpg

Here's my .308 T3/X-Ray/Swarovski PV-S6-24x50P/LRA Bipod which points extremely well.

Grendel in an AR. Glue the barrel? Cheap brass from privi, 108gr booolits from lapua.

I love my AR. Stopped me buying an AX. Well that and it was less than half the price. I will own an AX when I sell the tikka T3 sako thingy I own.

Had Ronin's AX in my hands again last week. It really showed how weak I am. Bloody heavy.

I had to look at what I use a rifle for regularly. CSR next season. Shame the dates changed but 100 rounds per comp is fun. Even if my I shoot like carp.

I've built a few Grendels and they don't seem to suffer from extraction issues.

There is a new Spec II reamer available that may make life even easier.

That said, it ain't a x47

It's got to be light - under 10lbs all-up. Short barrel - 18in. max. and yes 6.5x47 would be the right cartridge. Interesting project.

I've just built an AI AX with 18 inch barrel in 6.5x47 but it's too heavy at around 16lbs.

If you want it to handle like an AR it would have to be a, wait for it...........an AR

And you aren't going to get that.

A lightweight AR10 would sort of work, but they are considerably bigger than a AR15

Strange, but I've been thinking about just such a thing recently. The conclusion that I came to was: Remington 700 or similar clone, 18 inch varmint or medium palma, all in an XLR Element chassis.

Absolutely nothing like an AR15

The only thing like an AR15 is...........

I built a Tikka two years ago that fitted all this criteria....it weighed 10 lbs exactly, . 20" barrel, fully bedded into a mac A3-5 and a magazine system onboard.

I shot it successfully out to 1400 metres on IPSC half man gongs...

The grendel is poor. I wasted a full season trying every permutation of powder, bullet and an easy cam to get one going....and gave up.

Then discovered the 6mmAR which is a necked down version.

A completely different puppy.

Absolutely nothing like an AR15

The only thing like an AR15 is...........

Mark,

Do you really think XLR and similar don't handle similarly to ARs or was that a waaa?

AR stocks, pistol grips, foreends etc; where are you seeing the difference (the only thing that leaps out at me on some of them is that the cheekline is about an inch lower than would be the case on an AR that 'challenges' getting an effective cheekweld).

I'd like to put together a 6.5x47 bolt rifle that approximates the balance, weight and pointability of an AR carbine, but still shoots precisely to about 600m.

No waaa here,

See the bit in red? it refers to a carbine

What is a carbine?

A carbine is a shortened version of a full size rifle, i.e. a 14.5 or 16"barrel in this case.

So far no one has offered anything remotely close to that. They're all talking about approximately 20" barrels.

That is rifle territory, not carbine land.

Furthermore a AR barrel is around .980-1"diameter at the chamber, stepping down to .850"-.675" just forward of that, and all those bolt guns have cylinder diameters of around 1.250", so that is heavier for starters.

An AR "carbine" will weigh around 6-7lbs, maybe even a bit lighter, so if a bolt action rifle with a fibreglass stock, heavy barrel and overly complicated yet heavy adjustable stock with super dooper cheek weld that weighs 10lbs without glass is what will approximate an AR "Carbean"....then you're nearly in the ballpark :lol:

I could put AR stocks, pistol grips and foreends and even a Piccadilly rail etc on a Ford Cortina, but they wouldn't make that an AR either :-)

No waaa here,

See the bit in red? it refers to a carbine

What is a carbine?

A carbine is a shortened version of a full size rifle, i.e. a 14.5 or 16"barrel in this case.

So far no one has offered anything remotely close to that. They're all talking about approximately 20" barrels.

That is rifle territory, not carbine land.

Furthermore a AR barrel is around .980-1"diameter at the chamber, stepping down to .850"-.675" just forward of that, and all those bolt guns have cylinder diameters of around 1.250", so that is heavier for starters.

An AR "carbine" will weigh around 6-7lbs, maybe even a bit lighter, so if a bolt action rifle with a fibreglass stock, heavy barrel and overly complicated yet heavy adjustable stock with super dooper cheek weld that weighs 10lbs without glass is what will approximate an AR "Carbean"....then you're nearly in the ballpark :lol:

I could put AR stocks, pistol grips and foreends and even a Piccadilly rail etc on a Ford Cortina, but they wouldn't make that an AR either :-)

OK, but I'd be visualising a carbine type barrel.

For eg, a T3 lite on to, for example, an MDT would be in the parish -I'd have thought?

an MDT with a 14" barrel based on a 700 titanium would maybe work bradders?

and a 6.5x47 will have more recoil than a 556 mouse gun so a little more weight won't hurt ?

OK, but I'd be visualising a carbine type barrel.

For eg, a T3 lite on to, for example, an MDT would be in the parish -I'd have thought?

I suppose, I'm missing the point that barrel lightness can be achieved in 2 ways - profile or technology. Of course a carbine weight fat carbon wrapped barrel would achieve the same aim.

I suppose, I'm missing the point that barrel lightness can be achieved in 2 ways - profile or technology. Of course a carbine weight fat carbon wrapped barrel would achieve the same aim.

I had a play with a Christensen arms rifle once in 308 (quite a few years ago) and it didn't shoot well enough for me but of course carbon wrapped barrels may have improved by now?

You had the perfect Tikka 6.5x47,,,,,,,

You had the perfect Tikka 6.5x47,,,,,,,

And the perfect AW 6.5x47

And the perfect DTA 6.5x47

Wanna buy a nice sako 6.5x47, its cut with a good reamer?

Right - I'm thinking Eliseo chassis lightened a bit (I know where there is one) AR15 lightweight butt-stock, Remmy action and medium profile barrel about 16 inches long in 6.5x47 - I'm running my 6.5x47 with an 18 inch barrel at 2875fps.

Anybody fancy donating an old Remmy action? I'll throw in the barrel and smithing. Maybe we could get other bits - like trigger, rings, butt etc and build a UKV rifle. Just think of the arguments over the colour............

Archived