Manufacturing a sound moderator

Alright guys,

Can anyone give me the legislation and red tape behind the manufacturing of a sound moderator for personal use? I have the permission on my cert but wanted to find out first if it was legal before doing anything. If anyone has any knowledge on this it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Geordie

Yeh it all seems to be a bit of a grey area. If the police allow you to have one in the first place and your not handing them out to the public I can't see what issue is, but then again its all down to big Davie C in #10 who can have what and why!

Go for it. If you have the necessary condition on your FAC and the confidence to undertake the job you can manufacture your own sound suppressor without any need for an RFD to get involved. If you want to have it proof tested you will need an RFD to ship the can to London or Birmingham

Go for it. If you have the necessary condition on your FAC and the confidence to undertake the job you can manufacture your own sound suppressor without any need for an RFD to get involved. If you want to have it proof tested you will need an RFD to ship the can to London or Birmingham

Actually that is incorrect as anyone can be in possession of firearms etc if they are being submitted to, or returned from proof

However you may have problems posting it out as I have a feeling TNT/Parcelfarce and the PO do not accept shipping of pressure bearing items from non RFD.

"you can make them for air rifles but if you accidentally attached it to a firearm"

Excuse my ignorance but my understanding is that you cannot attach a moderator used / intended for an air rifle - which does not need any permission to purchase unless over 12ftlbs - to a firearm of any kind unless on your ticket, eg a SAK or Huggett for an air rifle to a 22lr or .17HMR !

Belt and braces.

However you may have problems posting it out as I have a feeling TNT/Parcelfarce and the PO do not accept shipping of pressure bearing items from non RFD.

Just the info i was looking for. I knew having it proofed would be a hurdle though. Are you legally obliged to do it? Im sure my local RFD sells unproofed silencers...

"you can make them for air rifles but if you accidentally attached it to a firearm"

Excuse my ignorance but my understanding is that you cannot attach a moderator used / intended for an air rifle - which does not need any permission to purchase unless over 12ftlbs - to a firearm of any kind unless on your ticket, eg a SAK or Huggett for an air rifle to a 22lr or .17HMR !

Belt and braces.

I guess you technically can provided you have permission for that firearm to have a moderator fitted in the first place. I COULD use a.22 Air rifle mod on my .204 if the attachments were the same but it would be like trying to shave a badger, probably not safe, and pretty pointless. But then that also leads me back to weather it need proofed or not.

No you do not need to have it Proofed unless you intend to sell it with the rifle however this is a bit of a grey area and the London Proof Master did hint at changes when we last spoke on the matter.

No you do not need to have it Proofed unless you intend to sell it with the rifle however this is a bit of a grey area and the London Proof Master did hint at changes when we last spoke on the matter.

Super! Looks like that's my evening is sorted.

Belt and braces.

That's what I was implying by saying accidentally. Like you slipped and fell and by pure accident, screwed it on your rifle. That's something that happens a lot I've been told.

There is no requirement in law to proof test a sound moderator or muzzle brake, despite what the proof house may say. It is not an integral part of a firearm and as such is not subject to proof. CIP have stated it is a "grey area".

If the proof house concentrated on getting people's guns back in a reasonable time frame, they would garner more respect. :mad::mad:

If you have a relevant slot on your certificate, then you can make your own moderator. The second you screw it onto the rifle, it changes in law from being a steel tube, to becoming a section one firearm, and you must immediately enter it onto your own ticket as "given".

There is no requirement in law to proof test a sound moderator or muzzle brake, despite what the proof house may say. It is not an integral part of a firearm and as such is not subject to proof. CIP have stated it is a "grey area".

If the proof house concentrated on getting people's guns back in a reasonable time frame, they would garner more respect. :mad::mad:

If you have a relevant slot on your certificate, then you can make your own moderator. The second you screw it onto the rifle, it changes in law from being a steel tube, to becoming a section one firearm, and you must immediately enter it onto your own ticket as "given".

Given by whom?

That's what I was implying by saying accidentally. Like you slipped and fell and by pure accident, screwed it on your rifle. That's something that happens a lot I've been told.

Is that like in the same way as your girlfriend unexpectedly falling pregnant? :o:blush:

Good shout! Iv spent some time on there having a look for ideas and designs. I have an idea in my head that im going to follow up. Mighty simple but i think it will do the trick.

Only slightly off topic but the following is an appeal against conviction for making a flash suppressor

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Crim/2015/852.html

The law is a mine field

I didn't read all that but don't de-act firearms have the flash suppressor left on them?

Only slightly off topic but the following is an appeal against conviction for making a flash suppressorhttp://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Crim/2015/852.htmlThe law is a mine field

Am i right in reading he wasn't licensed to have one in the first place?

You do not need to be a RFD to manufacture firearms for your own use and that includes Moderators, as long as you have the relevant authorities to acquire on your FAC.

You also do not need to have either proved unless you intend to sell it.

I made my own moderator for my 17 Fireball and had it sighned on to my FAC.

You do not need to be a RFD to manufacture firearms for your own use and that includes Moderators, as long as you have the relevant authorities to acquire on your FAC.You also do not need to have either proved unless you intend to sell it.I made my own moderator for my 17 Fireball and had it sighned on to my FAC.

The proofing part is what's loosing me now. Have a look at the sonic 45 can option and you will see what i mean

http://www.glasgowfieldsports.co.uk/sound-moderators_3174.html

Some companies proof moderators because their insurance policies require it. Other insurers do not.

Ok, as long as it not mandatory. Im not too fused about insurance in that respect.

Archived