280 rem

Guest deer308

Very similar ballistics to a 270 win, but with a better choice of bullets. Virtually the same cartridge as the 7X64 that has been popular in Europe for a 100 years. The 280AI almost replicates the performance of the 7mm Remmington Magnum and seems to be getting a good rep’ in the USA. I keep toying with the idea of getting one myself, the one thing putting me of is I want to use the rifle aboard and getting ammo might be a problem.

Shoot a 270 win and that will give you a good idea of what to expect.

B-b

Guest 280shooter

The 280 is my " go to " cartridge. I have a pair of them. As stated, the main advantage over the 270 is in bullet selection. The deer around here can't seem to distinguish much difference between the two in the real world. Recoil is very manageable and the 280 is more pleasant to shoot than any of my 30-06's. The 7mm Rem will outperform the 280, but at the expense of more recoil and less efficiency. You have to stuff quite a bit more powder in the 7 mag for small gains. On the other side is the 7-08 which is probably the most efficient of the 3. I'm getting 100 fps. less velocity out of my son's 7-08 with the 120 B-Tip with 12 grains less powder, but the 280 handles the heavier bullets a bit better.

For my money, the 280 is the best balanced of the 3. Buy one and have fun. Also, the very fact that you don't have one is reason enough. - Denny

Hi DEER308. tHE 280 REMAI has got to be one of the easiest wildcats to load for: reason being is that Nosler adopted it as a standard loading last year and brass is available READY FORMED. Fantastic. The 280AI sees significant increases over its standard loading and is seen as the big brother to the 6MMREM AI. Its a very flat shooting round and is all of the 270 with a bit extra reach and flexibility due to the 7mm bullets. As stated before it will handle the heavier bullets a bit better too.

I will be getting one at some point as it really is too good to miss.

Some good info on Angelfire if you do a search

Regards

Z

Archived