Your Favourite Fox Call ?

SWShooter

So what do you use for calling in Charlie ? a £300 ghetto blaster with a cd of Brer rabbit being strangled or just a piece of glass and polystyrene ?

What species distress calls do you find the most effective ?

What works best for you ?

Cheers

At the moment my mates are using the ranting squirrel and when used with the foxpro atractor there screening in,

RSC

Hand callers are ideal when you can see the fox, but in this part of the world they're nigh-on useless for any others as they just come around behind you and then bugger off without you ever knowing they were there. For that reason, my FOXPRO running whatever call I deem appropriate is my go-to solution. Most of the 149 foxes we've shot since Jan 1st have succumbed to it.

At the moment my mates are using the ranting squirrel and when used with the foxpro atractor there screening in,

RSC

Sorry that's with the foxpro wildfire and the add on atractor thing

RSC

Fox cub distress/vixen in heat on the foxpro scorpion is working well at the moment once a litter is located. as is all the rodent type distress calls etc when a fox is spotted. Once we get into June pheasant distress always seems to do the trick, and into July/August the juveniles will come into almost any "squeaky" call. My 71st fox of the year (a dog fox) fell to the .223 last night, he was spotted with the thermal curled up in a slight dip in the ground stalked into and shot with nv at 175yards, I never made a sound....

All depends on time of year, at the minute fox cub in distress is working well, soon the poults will be going in the pens so il start with the pheasant in distress and so on. Look at the ground you hunting and choose your call to suit

Gaz

I always carry a bit of polystyrene in my truck. Works wonders on a wet window screen

What're you doing near your truck? You're not one of those 'I refuse to walk' types are you?

Only joking...

Guest Stacka

What do you think paddy? Lol ha ha

Sometimes iv driven into fields and iv seen one, so easier to shoot from wagon than get out etc.

Principally I'm a walker. And I walk very far in a outing.

Guest Stacka

Sometimes iv driven into fields and iv seen one, so easier to shoot from wagon than get out etc.

I suspect that even though I'm a foot man, you walk further than I do!

Guest Stacka

Hmmm I don't know, the way I earn my money is taking a toll on this body of mine.

Taking into account the injuries, I'm on a ticking time bomb of dramas.

Any way back to the subject in hand. I have a mate who uses a large piece of wire with feathers on staked in the ground next to his call. Works truely wonders. I may try it whe. The Cubs are a bit older

I have a mate who uses a large piece of wire with feathers on staked in the ground next to his call. Works truely wonders. I may try it whe. The Cubs are a bit older

My concern is that I want to stop the fox before it reaches the caller - in my experience, the moment a Charley scents 'human' it runs off at great speed. As it is, I can generally get them to pause by muting the sound - that's when I try to shoot them. If there's a visual attractor, however, I'd have thought there's a much greater risk they'd carry on?

Guest Stacka

My concern is that I want to stop the fox before it reaches the caller - in my experience, the moment a Charley scents 'human' it runs off at great speed. As it is, I can generally get them to pause by muting the sound - that's when I try to shoot them. If there's a visual attractor, however, I'd have thought there's a much greater risk they'd carry on?

I've not seen it myself personally. I know the yanks do a good job with coyotes. A bark or shout may do the job. I'll let you know when I've tried it.

I've not seen it myself personally. I know the yanks do a good job with coyotes. A bark or shout may do the job. I'll let you know when I've tried it.

I use the foxpro with the jack n the unit, sat on a tripod, works a treat,

I just shout yo....followed with a bang

RSC

Archived