.17 Remington Twist Rates

Big Al

Would I be right in thinking that 1:9 is the preferred twist to use with 25gr vmax, Ive found a really nice rifle but its a 1:10 twist Sako and Im concerned it will not stabilise the 25r vmax, I dont want to use any other bullet.

Any thoughts gratefully received guys. :)

1:10 is marginal, have to be driven fast, some do and some dont work, a 1:9 is ideal.

Steve

1:10 is marginal, have to be driven fast, some do and some dont work, a 1:9 is ideal.

Steve

as Steve says although i gave up with the 25 v max they would not play ball in my tikka although the 25 gn berger varmint shoots really well -but these i use in my .17fb. all i use now is the 20 vmax in the tikka- same load for the last 12 yrs.the 25 does have a bit more clout but the 20s do the job. dont get too hung up on the 25 vmax

I was talking to Sir-Slots-Alot a while ago when I was looking at getting one, about his, his 1:10 would just stabilise if he drove them hard, he used the 17 Rem with amazing success, he really knows his stuff and how to shoot a rifle, 500-600 yard rabbits with a .17 Rem! Impressive!

hi big al ive shot 17 rem for 24 years if your going to shoot 25 gr vmax a 1in 10 wont stabalize you need a 1in9 get the sako you mentioned and shoot 20 vmax then when you think the tube has gone get a 1.9, I shoot 25gr bergers anyway good luck with the 17rem its a awesome round regards dave.

I have owned a several 10 twist 17 rems ( mostly standard tikka rifles and one fitted with a Shillen barrel)

A couple of rifles would fire them fine - Another , only when pushed above 4100 fps and one which would not group at all with them

I actually contacted Hornady about twist rates for the 25 grn Vmax - They stated their test were done using a 10 twist .. :blink:

Without any doubt a 9 twist barrel is the smart option, as it will shoot from 20 grains to 30 grns bullets without any problems.

The 10 twist is a great choice for shooting 25 grn Berger HP's - 25 grn Hornady HP's and 20 grn Vmax - But not 25 grn Vmax.

I wouldnt be too dis-heartened in the rifle is fitted with a 10 twist - both HP bullets are very good and the 20 grn Vmax is lightning and deadly

ATB

S

Thanks for your help guys, unfortunately I dithered too long on this one and the rifle has sold which is very frustrating, it was the cleanest Sako 75 you will ever see :(

The info is nonetheless useful though as 10 twist seems to be the standard Tikka/Sako twist.

I personly wouldn't bother tbh, you .20 Tac and BR will out shoot a 17 Rem anyway......especially out to only 200 yards.

Nice little round to add to the collection though

I personly wouldn't bother tbh, you .20 Tac and BR will out shoot a 17 Rem anyway......especially out to only 200 yards.

Nice little round to add to the collection though

My problem Steve is the 20BR and 20Tac are very similar rifles and at some stage quite soon one of them will have to go. I say similar in the sense that they both have heavy barrels, tactical type stocks, big scopes and the associated weight that goes with them, you can't really pull either out of the truck window very easily ;) Both end up being shot from the roof of the truck or from static type situations. I think I got a little too carried away with heavy, tactical, super accurate rifles to the expense of having a lightweight truck/carry gun, low recoil etc.

I keep swaying in and out of 17 Rems or Fireballs but this particular Sako although 10yrs old had fired less than 100 rds and was effectively as new so a real find/bargain, because I dithered I missed it. :(

I've got a Rem 700 LVSF with a 1:9 twist and the best it will shoot the 25grn V-Max is about an inch at 50yds! Consequently I use the 25grn Berger Match HP bullets and these seem to work rather well and are explosive on small varmints.

I've got a Rem 700 LVSF with a 1:9 twist and the best it will shoot the 25grn V-Max is about an inch at 50yds! Consequently I use the 25grn Berger Match HP bullets and these seem to work rather well and are explosive on small varmints.

Dodder what powder are you using i have the same rifle fitted a jewel trigger new Maddog stock use the 25gn vmax also but get very good groups at 100yds have taken it out to 400 yrs on steel tgts and 300 on fur i use Hodgdons 4895.

Also as its still the original barrel i once had similar problem where it would not group had barrel checked out which was ok then thought i would try some JB bore paste on the chamber which got my grouping back to normal maybe worth a try on yours ?

Mick

Archived