F Class Action Choice

Blue Haze

If you had an ideal build in mind what action would you use for an F-open rifle and why? For arguments sake lets keep to UK available actions only, that are suitable for .284/sehane etc size rounds. My kick off list to consider is:

• BAT Machine M/MB (beautiful, good reputation but pricey)
  • Stolle Panda F Class (Not sure if good for f open balance wise?)
  • Barnard P (Delivers the goods no doubt, but ugly and harder bolt throw)
  • Nesika (??? Look ok, but only in bead blasted finish. Are they as good as BAT/Barnard etc?)

What would you use and why? All of the above seem to cost a similar amount, except BAT which is a chunk more (but also a work of art...)

I personally like RBLP - What would you do? I will be getting a new rifle built later in the year for the 2016 season, so am gathering ideas before I place the order - any advice will be gratefully received!

barnard for me,i dont find them ugly and when mick from dolphin chambered it in 284 shehane it was a case of which one hole group should i choose.i was that impressed i went straight back for a barnard in 6mm that was just as easy to load and stunningly accurate.

I'd go for a Stolle Panda if it was for FTR where weight is an issue but for an Open gun BAT M every time. Or maybe one of John Carr's excellent actions - you said UK available.

Triggersqueezer - I agree, a Barnard isn't ugly - if you like pipes and scaffold tube.

Borden Rimrock, equal to the BAT in every respect and if you want exclusivity (but available in the UK nevertheless)

Ive built several rifles on Barnard P actions, they work very well and as a bonus come with a really good trigger - aesthetically not great, but a bombproof action.

There are plenty of other actions that are used to achieve success - Nesika K, Stolle for example.

Domphin Rifles produce their own action which Mik Mak has used to win last years F Class League - thats worthy of consideration.

I don't think you would go wrong with any "high end with reputation" action - personal choice.

Never had a Stolle in my hands, bedded quite a few Barnards, Stillers, BATs, John Carr, STL, and some more.

I'd rate the workmanship of the Barnard action as the best. BAT was quite disappointing. Stiller seemed very nice for a hunting rig.

Overall if I'd build a FTR I think I'd go STL as it has a few good features.

edi

Nesika are a very good Action, every bit as well made as a BAT or Borden, can be ordered in a polished finish as well.

Barnard also very very high tolerance and strong action

Both avail in UK off the shelf

If you want the strongest, best engineered action use a barnard P. If however you want to spend more money on bling and have an action from a manufacturer that cannot hold reasonable tolerances between two actions of the same type buy a BAT.[ 0.020" diference in body OD on two model M's] BAT make nice trigger guards and screws though...

Panda's are good but you dont really need the weight saving unless its for FTR. Being aluminium they will look secondhand quickly if you dont look after them. Got the best bedding area of them all.

Not used Nesika F class actions but used a few of the older sporter ones that were very well made.

Sounds like on to whole there's not a lot bad to be said about any of them... But a few negative opinions on the BAT - which I was expecting to be thought thought of as the "gold plated" money no issue choice!

What sort of lead time should I expect for a Nesika/Rimlock in a configuration that is not on the sheshelf? Probably right bolt, left port in polished finish... I assume that both of these will take a Jewel/Kelbley trigger?

I imagine the Nesika will be on the shelf from Mik

The Rimrock is usually to order in that configuration though id check with either Callum or Paddy Dane who both bring them in to the UK

I imagine the Nesika will be on the shelf from Mik

The Rimrock is usually to order in that configuration though id check with either Callum or Paddy Dane who both bring them in to the UK

I get all my actions through Callum, Andy. I have no desire to tread on his toes, and the service received is first class.

I get all my actions through Callum, Andy. I have no desire to tread on his toes, and the service received is first class.

Apologies Paddy, my mistake

Callums service is 1st class .

Sounds like you love BAT dasherman!

Barnard sound like a marmite drain pipe - love or hate... But no doubts they deliver.

Nesika looking good here too... I must admit I prefer a stainless action ask things being equal. Whats between a Nesika and Barnard then - in reality in terms of use, quality, aaccuracy?

I want this to be a long term gun, and not a one I'll regret or want to update at the price I'll expect to come in at!

Seeing as I import both barnard and nesika, I will try and answer

There is no real difference between them in build quality, the Barnards are 3 lug and work extremely well, quality of manufacture and tolerances is very good.

the Nesika IMHO are equally good in terms of tolerances, they are 2 lug, have a longer tenon than many of the clone actions avail. so you can fit a heavier barrel.

Both will do the Job very well, the Nesika is a prettier action and slightly more expensive

I have a Nesika I have used for 10 years and it looks and works like its brand new

Hope that helps

Sorry got every action they make in stock, but none are polished, all satin finish, why dont you come over and have a look?

I wouldnt want to try and polish one, have bought in a few polished ones to order, but I only import these twice a year, due to build time and

shipping costs, bring in 50 at a time

thanks mik, I might when I have got the cash ready and ready to make a final choice... I'm quite a way away so would need to book a day to travel up!

When is your next import if I wanted to have an action on it?

Guys - only joking re Barnard - they are a fine action - as good as any for sure. But I still prefer a BAT!

But that's the thing about a custom build - it should be exactly what YOU want - no compromises.

An accurate rifle can be built on any of the actions mentioned Blue Haze - just pick your favorite.

thanks mik, I might when I have got the cash ready and ready to make a final choice... I'm quite a way away so would need to book a day to travel up!

When is your next import if I wanted to have an action on it?

Just had a del, so Nov would be next del, need to order by Aug for this delivery

Hope that helps

Nesika are a very good Action, every bit as well made as a BAT or Borden, can be ordered in a polished finish as well.

Barnard also very very high tolerance and strong action

Both avail in UK off the shelf

Have to concur with MikMak - Nesika is top notch actions.

Archived