Applied balistics

Hi guys. Am looking for help with the ballistic calibration part. So after shooting at the three distences do I simply measure the difference ie drop using the mills on the scope or measuring it using mm on a table rule. Thanks guys

Can you please explain a bit better what you mean and whT you are trying to do, it's is quite easy really but I'm unsure what you are trying to acheve by what you say ?

Cheer fella

Steve

I just entered what my observed drop was in Mils (easier if you have a first focal scope)at 3 different distances as far apart as possible and then click run and the programme will adjust your velocity (and maybe the bc?) to true your data

Regards

Ok I'll try. After I've entered all my data for rifle and bullet and loaded up the drop chart. You can then true the data by useing the ballistic calibration part where you shoot at three different ranges ie 200 yards 300 yards 400 yards and then put in the differences to get a true drop chart of what your actual drop is. How do you put the info in if am say 2" 3" 4" inches lower at them ranges than what the app says I am?? Thanks if this makes sence.

I'm all setup using Mils and I entered what the total drop was (dialled and observed) at each of the ranges. There are other apps like ballistic ae that allow you to enter in inches or cm what your actual drop was relative to what you have dialled. Not sure if that's an option on AB

Thanks. I've just got my first tacticle scope this week and trying to get things set up. It's a ffp scope in mill/mill vortex razor hd gen 2 4.5-27x56. Please excuse my silly questions lol.

Have you checked your scope adjusters' accuracy? It's very easy to obtain a false result by assuming that because you have a good quality scope, the come-ups that you have applied on a given range zero are exactly as you've dialled in. In practice, a 5% discrepancy is common, and 10% not unknown.

Other error inducers are:

failing to measure and input the height of the scope centreline above that of the bore. Most ballistic programs use a default value of 1.5 inches. Change that to 2.5 and you get a noticeably different set of results. Some tactical rigs have very high scope positions.

inaccurate range values. Many rifle ranges' nominal distances from firing point to the target line are 'out' for one reason or another.

the need to measure ambient air conditions accurately at the time of firing and recording come-ups. Bisley and Glen Tilt at Blair Atholl need ~ one additional MOA come-up from a 100yd zero for a 155.5gn 308 Berger at 3,050 fps over the Diggle equivalent because of the ranges' altitudes. Some wind and temperature conditions seen at Diggle require + 2-3-MOA @ 1,000 needed on a good 308 Win load over a mild low-pressure day with the prevailing five o' clock SW wind.

Bryan Litz's latest book has full ballistic results (G1 and G7) for around 250 bullets. if you say what you bullet(s) you have in mind, there is a chance that someone will be able to give you a fully tested G7 BC value - generally a LOT better than tryiong to work off scope adjuster changes.

Think if got it now. So shoot a group at the distence useing the dope from the app and then see how many clicks I need ie left/right or up/down to get me on target and enter that??

Think if got it now. So shoot a group at the distence useing the dope from the app and then see how many clicks I need ie left/right or up/down to get me on target and enter that??

Use what the total elevation measurement is to get on target and enter that

Litz doesn't list the 53gn V-Max, but does have his results for the 52gn A-Max which ballistically at any rate is to all intents and purposes identical to the V-Max.

His average G7 BC is 0.120.

Archived