Kestrel 4500 with Applied ballistics

Hiya fellas,

Just a quick video of some of the kit I use in the filed to help aid wind calls in terms of wind speed, direction and correction. I use the Bluetooth set up so the data from my kestrel gets sent direct to my phones ballistic app,(Strelok Pro an Applied Ballistics, Kestrel companion) at the prone shooting position for quick ease of access. All the important data, temp, barometric pressure, wind speed and direction is all transferred to my ballistic app on the phone in the shooting potions to input the relevant correction on the scope to make the shot. This is a fantastic way to keep you eye on the wind speed and direction right to the moment you send the shot.
Tape, grass etc can be used but to no where new the same accurate, effect and consistency as this set up. Although it does not give you the info of what the wind is doing down range, it gives you a far better idea then without this set up. Well worth it guys.

https://youtu.be/8IgO8zsd6U8

Hope you enjoyed the read and the video guys?

Cheers thanks guys, just wanted to share what works really well in the field.

Cheers and thanks again for the comments.

Steve

Thanks ,Steve,neat tech.

Given a 'standard' 204/223 will have something like 20/25 inch 400y 10mph drift,keeping wind 'error' to around half an mph means a 400y wind error around one to one and a half inches. (or 1mph around two inches). (Oh for a tolerance bleeper when some set wind average is exceeded-all quiet,shoot!)

It's also similar to the case for 'fast firing' a string of shots at 1000y ,hoping to catch relatively steady wind,as per that thread.

Of course,there is still the other 399y.....but you could scope check the 400y wind is similar... :-)

Thanks ,Steve,neat tech.

Given a 'standard' 204/223 will have something like 20/25 inch 400y 10mph drift,keeping wind 'error' to around half an mph means a 400y wind error around one to one and a half inches. (or 1mph around two inches). (Oh for a tolerance bleeper when some set wind average is exceeded-all quiet,shoot!)

It's also similar to the case for 'fast firing' a string of shots at 1000y ,hoping to catch relatively steady wind,as per that thread.

Of course,there is still the other 399y.....but you could scope check the 400y wind is similar... :-)

Yeh, a very accurate firing position wind speed and direction is critical for long rage performance, I use the natural foliage and mirage to identify winds and wind changes down range. I used this technique two great effect last week end reported on it here. http://ukvarminting.com/forums/topic/29138-lovely-afternoon-out-with-the-rifle/

I demonstrated here that long range rabbits can be accurately. repeatability be made with fantastic success 100% to be precise, at extended ranges in quite windy and challenging conditions. ;)

If the shooter has put in the field time and the rifle, field equipment is good and set up well and correctly, these shots can be made without too much problem. ;)

Steve,you are the man

300-370 yards is good shooting,the 223 Ackleyed helps a little,10.7 wind is more than ideal. There is a big IF in all this,as you say,so hope newbies don't just think all they need is an Ackley! 100%....?

4/4 down ....

....96/96 to go!

Are there that many on the island (still?).....:-)

g

Steve,you are the man

300-370 yards is good shooting,the 223 Ackleyed helps a little,10.7 wind is more than ideal. There is a big IF in all this,as you say,so hope newbies don't just think all they need is an Ackley! 100%....?

4/4 down ....

....96/96 to go!

g

Everyone needs to practice, like I say, if you have practiced and invested in the kit and know how to use it, these shots are not a problem at all. I would not advise a beginner to fire willy nilly at rabbits etc at this range etc.

It all to do with ballistic science and the math behind it all, for example, my furthers shot last week way only 371 yards, with the minimum wind value recorded of 7mph, a total recorded and tested wind drift of just 6 inch. A mid wind speed of 10mph = 9.2 inch and a max wind recorded speed of 14mph is 13.5 mph. This gives a worse case sanario max wind drift spread (from min too max) of 7.5 inch, if I was to half that wind value and dial for a 10 mph wind it's basically 3" wind drift could be out either way, under estimate or over estimate, either way a good solid hit in a rabbit size target anyhow that will be in any case lethal. Chances are with practice I can judge and read the wind even better like I did on this day and can dial in with greater precision.

All this holding of buy so many inches Is no good, you need to dial it to achieve reliable repeatable results, which I do and can ;-)

Steve

Steve,you are the man

4/4 down ....

....96/96 to go!

g

Everyone needs to practice, like I say, if you have practiced and invested in the kit and know how to use it, these shots are not a problem at all. I would not advise a beginner to fire willy nilly at rabbits etc at this range etc.

It all to do with ballistic science and the math behind it all, for example, my furthers shot last week way only 371 yards, with the minimum wind value recorded of 7mph, a total recorded and tested wind drift of just 6 inch. A mid wind speed of 10mph = 9.2 inch and a max wind recorded speed of 14mph is 13.5 mph. This gives a worse case sanario max wind drift spread (from min too max) of 7.5 inch, if I was to half that wind value and dial for a 10 mph wind it's basically 3" wind drift could be out either way, under estimate or over estimate, either way a good solid hit in a rabbit size target anyhow that will be in any case lethal. Chances are with practice I can judge and read the wind even better like I did on this day and can dial in with greater precision.

All this holding of buy so many inches Is no good, you need to dial it to achieve reliable repeatable results, which I do and can ;-)

Steve

[quote

g

Yes we do have a lot of rabbits over here

Steve,absolutely-precise condition measurement,accurate performance rifle,known ballistics,lots of practice...and top of the range ballistics....or reduce distances...

eg many 223 loads will have double your 10 mph wind drift at 400y-20 inches (69gSMK@2950,77g nosler@2600)

so in the same variable wind (7-10) and dialling for 10mph,error is going to be double your 3 inches either R/L.

and 6 inches is a miss/unacceptable risk on sentient targets.

These rifles need to drop back to 300y max shots (10 inch drift for 10mph),many do,and that is OK-subject to all the criteria you rightly emphasise. Ditto the 40vmx@3800 class (11" at 300y 21 at 400y).

400 isn't just a bit further,so a bit more dialling,it is out of the ball park,really for these-gongs,fine;sentient,no.

g

• 1 year later...

Yes mate. I now have the 5700 Elite with Applied ballistics and the Bluetooth LiNK.

To say it is a fantastic bit of kit is a understatement.

Steve

Archived