Two 'not out there yet' Scope designs ?

coolforgot

nice idea

they all come with issues though

you can get Swaro/Zeiss rail to Picatinny mounts already

I suspect that the popularity of the system or lack thereof is an indicator to the market interest

they fit a niche but that majority want a choice of rings/bases

its really not that challenging to set up a scope with a vertical cross hair/rifle action alignment

I did see a very neat tool that slipped over the barrel

looked like a number 8 cut out of card/plastic

the top hole had a vertical slot/wire

by matching the barrel OD and scope OD to the shape and then twisting the scope until the reticule matched the slit/wire you have aligned the only truly important bit....reticule to the line between bore centre and line of sight (assuming the bore is central to the barrel OD ...which it rarely is!)

David Lloyd designed mounts that he claimed were rock solid for his own range of mainly Mauser '98 ( I think he did make a few on Sako actions) based stalking rifles in the 1950s to 80s, but they were an acquired taste (albeit in basically hand made rifles for toffs which he had built "in the trade"). So you aren't the first by any means to try and think up a better mouse trap.

Good point but my initial thoughts was on the cnc machining of the square body tube especially inside . This may need a new breed of machines and cutters just for the purposes . Indeed the cost would be considerable imho . Much easier to machine round stuff ! But may be wrong .

Hi

square body design is just a prototype with room for tweeking, the 'square sections culd be used just on the body where it drops into a sqare base for example.

Good point but my initial thoughts was on the cnc machining of the square body tube especially inside . This may need a new breed of machines and cutters just for the purposes . Indeed the cost would be considerable imho . Much easier to machine round stuff ! But may be wrong .

Hi

square body design is just a prototype with room for tweeking, the 'square sections culd be used just on the body where it drops into a sqare base for example.

What about the objective lens ? Square ? Leupolds shaped lenses type scopes are quite hidiously expensive ...

Round conventional lens's could be used with a square frame to fit body...easy

Hi

What about the objective lens ? Square ? Leupolds shaped lenses type scopes are quite hidiously expensive ...

Round conventional lens's could be used with a square frame to fit body...easy

nice idea

they all come with issues though

you can get Swaro/Zeiss rail to Picatinny mounts already

I suspect that the popularity of the system or lack thereof is an indicator to the market interest

they fit a niche but that majority want a choice of rings/bases

its really not that challenging to set up a scope with a vertical cross hair/rifle action alignment

I did see a very neat tool that slipped over the barrel

looked like a number 8 cut out of card/plastic

the top hole had a vertical slot/wire

by matching the barrel OD and scope OD to the shape and then twisting the scope until the reticule matched the slit/wire you have aligned the only truly important bit....reticule to the line between bore centre and line of sight (assuming the bore is central to the barrel OD ...which it rarely is!)

One a scope is fitted and zeroed in the rings/mounts, then it can be taken off/put back on, and stay zeroed,easily & quickly,

Archived