Lug recess and chamber cleaning??????????

Just curious as too how you guys get the lug recess and chamber clean, its taken me a while to get a good way but I have been using a cleaning rod which is cut down with a fixed handle, then I just use a jag with a rag rolled around the jag and swirl it around in the chamber its usually a good tight fit and and does a good job, then before I pull the rod back out I let the jag unravel until it opened enough to clean the lug recess and give it a good goingover. At the start I bought a sinclar lug recess tool with an attachment to fit small actions like mine but I didnt work at all, the little cotton swabs wouldnt let the tool enter the action no way no how. How do you guys do it? do you think you need to use some sort of solvent?

Pro Shot do a kit that has a short rod with a milled out hole so a "tampon" can be held at 90 degrees to the bore of the reciever, excellent for cleaning the lug recess. :blink:

The sinclair kit is very similar in design to the pro-shot one and doesnt work in my cooper either, Thos little buggers get stuck in there real good thats if you can even get it down the action into the lug recess, they are just too damm big for my little cooper, I cant believe there isnt a better method, the way I am doinf it is working great I was just wondereing how everyone else got around it, I laos saw these for AR15's, looks like they would be good I have seen them somewhere in mop stype instead of brush Bore brush

I suppose you could purchase a chamber plug and use it the wrong way round (no I dont mean put it in backwards)

What I mean is plug the chamber and then use an aerosol solvent to spray into the action whilst holding it vertically so that all the debris runs out,,,,,,,only problem being the debris will pass over the trigger.

You could adapt a delrin rod and bore a hole in it (like the Pro shot) but so the hole is enclosed, that way when the tampons in, it cannot pop out of the retainer hole.

Just an idea anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 308Panther

Havin one of them AR's myself...and the brush.

They do work....but the bristles get bent over easily..

Something to consider,if I didnt have the AR Chamber brush...

Take 2 toothbrushes w/ firm bristles... not the soft ones.

Narrow one down on a bench grinder till it fits the bolt channel easily.

Do same for 2nd brush...

Usin a small propane torch...Carefully...Warm neck of tooth brush,the area before the bristles till it bends.

Bend one toothbrush open(bristles away from the handle's underside)...till you can get into the channel easily.

Bend other toothbrush closed(bristles towards the handles underside)...till you can get into the channel easily.

These should help ya get the lug recess's clean...

Hoppes #9 doesnt melt plastic...test your cleaning agent on brush before you use...it might melt plastic.

Now for the chamber...

Mic out a spent case...the case wall,anywhere between the extractor groove and the shoulder...

Note the reading...and purchase a BORE brush that is slightly undersized that of your spent

case..undersized will give you scrubbing room where an oversized will bind in the chamber when you try to pull it out.

A plastic brush might be easier to pull back out then a brass brush...

And be carefull with the depth of insertion the brush...You dont want to scratch the shoulder area of the chamber with the

metal tip of the bore brush.

308Panther

Guest varmartin
I suppose you could purchase a chamber plug and use it the wrong way round (no I dont mean put it in backwards)

What I mean is plug the chamber and then use an aerosol solvent to spray into the action whilst holding it vertically so that all the debris runs out,,,,,,,only problem being the debris will pass over the trigger.

You could adapt a delrin rod and bore a hole in it (like the Pro shot) but so the hole is enclosed, that way when the tampons in, it cannot pop out of the retainer hole.

Just an idea anyway.

Andy...All i do is use automotive carb cleaner in a can with a straw attached and spray the chamber and lug recesses and wash it all down the barrel, push a few kroil soaked patches through the bore and re lube the lugs....job done.

Nothing ever gets in the trigger that way !!

Martin

Archived