Brugger & Thommet moderators

Has anyone used a B&T suppressor and if so how do they compare with say the A-tec or PES?

Nick

hi nick

i have not used one, but i am informed they are of the type that go on the end of your rifle (can) all so they are very heavy and very very expensive. but they are meant to be one of the best.

Colin :)

Guest Sgreadan

Had one side by side with a T-8 and an A-Tec all on .308s. To the Mk.I ear the T-8 and A-Tec were much of a muchness with a little difference in the type of sound produced. Out of 4 people present, it was split as to which was quieter. All thought the B&T was quieter than the other 2 however, BUT the B&T is considerably heavier and considerably more expensive. The weight does unbalance the rifle with it being a simple screw on the end type (doesn't come back over the barrel). To be honest, I doubt if the small amount of difference in the noise is worth the house brick type weight hanging off the barrel and the difference in price.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Jon

Thanks to Col and Jon for their replies, Col I will treat myself to an A-tec when I rebarrel the rifle!!!. Jon I had heard that the B&T was very heavy but the rifle I was thinking of putting it on weighs about 16lbs so the extra weight is not an issue as 90% of the shooting I do with it is either prone or from a vehicle with one of Gary's window bags.

Cheers, Nick.

Viking Arms in Harrogate are the UK importers of B+T moderators, if you contact them, they will give you a spec of sizes and weights. If you get no joy, I have a mate who works in the Mil / Police section who I will speak to. :)

Andy,

Nick phoned Viking Arms as B + T listed them as their UK distributor. When he asked about them there reply was somewhere on the lines of " .... a what make ???? " .

He has since found someone in the south of England that can do them.

Chaps how much does the A Tec weigh?

Rich it depends on the model but from what I can make out between 600 and 800gr. Gary is right, the first time I contacted Viking Arms the person I spoke to had not even heard of B&T, I then spoke to B&T direct and they were not too impressed to say the least!!. I have since spoken to Viking Arms and actually talked to someone who knew what they were on about. Graeme Clarke of Sportingservices also imports B&T Suppressors.

Nick

Guest Rich.K

Thanks Col. Just dropped Julian savoury an e mail. Have a t12 on my 204 shoots good with no mod, mod on is very poor. He asked me to try it with no rear bush - still very poor. No bullet strikes or owt like that?

Dont have the answers but know mods have caused me severe head aches in the past!!

Thanks Col. Just dropped Julian savoury an e mail. Have a t12 on my 204 shoots good with no mod, mod on is very poor. He asked me to try it with no rear bush - still very poor. No bullet strikes or owt like that?

Dont have the answers but know mods have caused me severe head aches in the past!!

Sorry Rich, got the wrong end of the stick regarding your question. With regards to the problem you are having with your PES, what barrel profile do you have on your rifle and who cut the thread for the Mod.

Nick

hi rich

where are you in the country???

if you are having problems with mods,i would think it was not the mods, unless you are as UN lucky as me :D:D

i had a problem with one the other day,(mine) and it would not hold a good group, it was the internal bush, i had a new bush made and bingo. now looking at it that way i would say if you have a crap thread job then this could have the same effect.

I'm not calling anyones work here just thinking out load

what is it that is happening????

Colin :D

Guest Rich.K

Have had a wildcat stop shooting it needed a new rear bush.

Had a T8 magnum stop shooting for no reason, Pete gave me a new mod and everything was cool

The end of a PES split, poor machine work, Julian swapped it no prob.

Unlucky?!?!

Julian has asked me to send the mod back for him to look at. The bush seeems a good fit, have shot it with no bush and still throws patterns. If it was the thread removing the rear bush would sort it as you are not torquing the barrel.

The rifle is a LVSF, cant suffer no mod, much toooo noisy

Have had a wildcat stop shooting it needed a new rear bush.

Had a T8 magnum stop shooting for no reason, Pete gave me a new mod and everything was cool

The end of a PES split, poor machine work, Julian swapped it no prob.

Unlucky?!?!

Julian has asked me to send the mod back for him to look at. The bush seeems a good fit, have shot it with no bush and still throws patterns. If it was the thread removing the rear bush would sort it as you are not torquing the barrel.

The rifle is a LVSF, cant suffer no mod, much toooo noisy

well it sounds like you are just unlucky. i would wait and see what Julian has to say. then take it from there

ATB

Guest Rich.K

Cheers Colin.

I htink the over barrel mods always make me restless, never know if the rear bush is going to 'go'?!

Cheers Colin.

I htink the over barrel mods always make me restless, never know if the rear bush is going to 'go'?!

hi rich

the rear bush on the mods should be cut with a bit of clearance, they have been called a 2 point mounting system, this is not really the truth, the rear bush seems to be a support, for if you drop your rifle and so on. you should be able to have the bush tight or lose with in reason and still see no detriment to accuracy. not sure with out seeing the mod/rifle together but it seems that something is not right, could be the thread on the rifle, the thread on the bush, well anything really.

i have had the bullets changing POA like you describe with a badly fitting internal bush, the part that mates to the shoulder was not square,and the thread was a bit $hit, so i made a new internal bush up and it seems OK up to yet.i know you have not had a much luck with this type of mod, but there are plenty of people out there that have had no problems at all.

i would gladly have a look for you if you live any where near notts, I'm not saying iv got any answers but i could get it looked at for you.

Andy,

Nick phoned Viking Arms as B + T listed them as their UK distributor. When he asked about them there reply was somewhere on the lines of " .... a what make ???? " .

He has since found someone in the south of England that can do them.

Who did he speak to there?

I spoke to my mate a few weeks ago at a Deer Society shoot at Pickering, he definately mentioned the B+T moderators as they are really good quality - expensive but well made.

Roedale's not even on the members list any more, what's he done??? :lol::o:lol:

A-Max im sure you will know the score as you know Pete,Roedale is no longer a member here.Im afriad there will be no reason given as it is between Pete and myself.

Is Roedale Pete banned/not allowed to post on here then? I know at least one member had issues with Pete but I always found his post interesting and informative, I feel with out his input the site will be the worse for it.

No I have not ordered a rifle or anything else off him or have any other “axe to grind” on his involvement or other wise.

This view is based on the quality of his posts on the site alone.

B-b

Guest Sgreadan

I'll lay my cards on the table. I am a friend of Pete Lincoln's and proud to say as much. I first met him on the forums about 6 years ago and we've been close friends ever since. I came to this board on Pete's recommendation (and that of JR's) who thought this site could be just what the UK shooting community needed. Until then I had stayed more or less on the US forums because I had found nothing from this country to compare to the broad knowledge base and quality information found on the good US sites.

As I usually do, I read much and posted little. I was aware before I came on here that there were a small crowd with axes to grind for Pete, and when I saw them post I stood back and watched. I wasn't here to cause trouble, after all I had only been here 5 minutes and I've noted some people on this board seem to equate date of registration and number of posts to experience and knowledge. So I've added a comment or 2, trying not to get drawn in, and besides Pete’s big enough and ugly enough to look after himself (most of the time).

I wanted to see a forum where people of like minds could come to get advice, learn something from each other and create friendships. I had hoped that this would become a great forum, and for a forum to be truly great it needs the contribution of people with a lot of knowledge and experience. On sites where there are such people they can be used to call BS on someone offering poor advice or just talking plain rubbish, they help newcomers with good advice and take the time and effort to pass on their help. They give a site it’s character and credibility. These people are usually few, but the role they play is huge. Pete is one of those people. I have learnt a great deal from him and he has gone out of his way to help me, often at inconvenience to himself. I agree with B-B, the site is poorer without him.

For my part, I've been involved with professional deer and wildlife management for over 10 years. I have either shot myself, or been eye-witness to, the culling of more deer over those years than the majority of members on this site could hope to be involved with in a lifetime. As you may guess I've picked up a thing or 2 over that period and it’s always been my philosophy to help people when I can. I don't for one minute imagine I'm one of the forum gurus I mentioned above, I don't post enough for a start, but I had hoped that as time went on I would be able to contribute something back to the forum when people needed advice on deer, kit for stalking, working dogs, carcase handling, whatever. Unfortunately that will never be, because I don't want any part of a forum that would boot Pete. I think I can be pretty sure when I say I know Pete better than any other person on this board, and he does not deserve this treatment.

Pete's only mistake I can see was the giving of estimated delivery times on his work. If he had done what the rest of the quality rifle builders do and refused to give times, estimated or otherwise, most of the that which promotes growth and vigour Pete found himself in wouldn't have happened (go place an order with Callum Ferguson or Dave Tooley and ask 'how long?'). But surely he can be excused this, as he was new to the world of commercial custom rifle building and has since learnt his lesson the hard way.

So fellas, I bid you goodbye, and I hope you enjoy a site dominated by a few mutually masturbating keyboard commandos who wouldn't know their arse from their tit when compared to the likes of Pete.

Jon

Archived