.20 cal moderators

Big Al

Guys,

I have a .20 cal specific DM80 for my 20BR which works well. Im thinking of upgrading the mod on my 20Tac which is a different thread to my 20BR otherwise I would have just swapped the DM80.

So my question is this;

Are you guys using .224 spec mods on your 20 cals with good effect? It seems to make more sense that I buy a .224 spec mod which will then be useful if I buy another rifle in that caliber in the future, assuming of course that the small difference in bore size will still quieten my 20Tac suitably?

As long as the hole size is close I wonder if it really needs to be caliber specific?

Guys,

I have a .20 cal specific DM80 for my 20BR which works well. Im thinking of upgrading the mod on my 20Tac which is a different thread to my 20BR otherwise I would have just swapped the DM80.

So my question is this;

Are you guys using .224 spec mods on your 20 cals with good effect? It seems to make more sense that I buy a .224 spec mod which will then be useful if I buy another rifle in that caliber in the future, assuming of course that the small difference in bore size will still quieten my 20Tac suitably?

As long as the hole size is close I wonder if it really needs to be caliber specific?

Al, "ideally,yes"...probably. But whether any difference is apparent to the 'blind test' human ear is moot-let alone out where it matters.

I've used a 308 mod on a 223,and it does work well,probably not optimally though-the shooter might not be best placed to judge,and I was more concerned to minimise recoil anyhow.

Many mod makers do rather generic 'up to 25' or 'up to 30 cal',which may simplify,but have probably been found acceptable.There is a dearth of good comparative data on almost all moderator performance,but a wealth of subjective views,and even less of any sort out in the quarry zone.

I've mentioned before,that getting rabbits to fill in a questionnaire "how loud was the shot that killed you,or your mate?' is ...impractical.

From an engineering perspective (ie can be measured),the largest diameter threading is the least likely to cause rifle problems,at least for bigger bores. 5/8 risks a couple of thou' belling at the muzzle,compared to 3/4,where that is do-able.Whether any such issues arise in small bore ,I know not.Shooter group sizes suggest this may not be much of a problem,though.Thankfully,as a retrospective fix would be a real nuisance.

g

I use a .25 cal ASE Utra SL5 on my .204. It is lovely and compact but..... I don't think its that quiet on at the shooters end. Hugely subjective of course but I would say it is borderline painful to shoot.

I use a Swift Nightingale moderator for my .204 and my .223. It works just the job for both!

Jamie

i am using a T4 mod on my .20TAC at the moment but did briefly have a Hardy Gen IV on it which was marked as .20 cal specific. Difference? very little to my ears and those of 2 friends. In the end i sold the Hardy as it didnt do £200 more than the T4. To be honest i feel that the .223 ASE CQB on my .223 moderates better. Shouldnt really compare the two but the .223 has a 14.5 inch barrel and is burning a similar weight of powder and the signature seems less unpleasant on the ears.

I think that potentially a heavy well designed .308 cal mod will moderate as well if not better than a lighter.20 Cal specific mod. My T4 is getting a bit worse for wear now and when it decides to let go i will replace it with another ASE CQB.

Al,

I use a .224 OD moderator on my custom .204 to great effect buddy ( Wildcat predator 8). Its not as good as my ASE Utra, think it is more to do with the mod then the baffel size tbh, the ASE is a much better mod tbh.

Hope this helps?

Steve

I tried a PES T12 the other day and was impressed, this was rated up to .243. The mod which came on my 20Tac appears to be only rated for .22WMR hence it is too loud.

In the end I have asked my gunsmith to make me a stainless steel bush which will take me from the 1/2" x 20 of my 20Tac to the 14x1 of my DM80 - the cost of the bush is minimal and will save me buying another .20 cal specific moderator.

Thanks for your thoughts guys, much appreciated as always. :)

I tried a PES T12 the other day and was impressed, this was rated up to .243. The mod which came on my 20Tac appears to be only rated for .22WMR hence it is too loud. In the end I have asked my gunsmith to make me a stainless steel bush which will take me from the 1/2" x 20 of my 20Tac to the 14x1 of my DM80 - the cost of the bush is minimal and will save me buying another .20 cal specific moderator.

Thanks for your thoughts guys, much appreciated as always. :)

I was going to say Al, if you need a bush making id have done it for you bud, but looks like you have it sorted. ;)

I was going to say Al, if you need a bush making id have done it for you bud, but looks like you have it sorted. ;)

Thanks Steve thats a kind offer, I will report back once Ive tried it. I dont see why it shouldn't work.

Thanks Steve thats a kind offer, I will report back once Ive tried it. I dont see why it shouldn't work.

Well, that idea saved me a good few quid. The only improvement will be to knurl the outside of this bush so its easier to remove without resorting to pliers which have marked the overly polished surface. Without using any thread lock the bush sometimes comes off with the mod and other times stays on the barrel. I might just thread lock it to the barrel for ease of use.

This now allows me to switch my DM80 between the 20 BR and 20TAC, Im really impressed with the noise reduction of this moderator and on the 20TAC.

IMG_0727.jpg

Everything was nice and true so no effect on accuracy, first 5 shots were sub 1/4" this evening :)

IMG_0725.jpg

Archived