.308 rifle what to buy????

mike82

I agree with you, however it is £3200+ (for AI AT .308) :o that doesn't leave much left in the budget for scope/mounts/bi-pod/ammo.

Its the price of one of the other rifles with a nice scope and other bits.

Mike

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think some of you are getting confused.

The AT MC is the cheapest gun of the lot. Its an AX/AW action with the switch barrel facility, in AI,s cheapest stock.

The AXMC comes in two action sizes. The .308 short action is the next gun up , price wise.

The AXMC in long action is the .338/.300wm/.308 system. It comes with all three barrels, 3 bolts and magazines, and I believe, is around £12k.

I have an AXMC .308 and love it. I,m also the new owner of a mint AW .338.

Had I had any leanings towards .300 wm , I would have sold them both and bought the long action MC.

I love the guns for their rugged simplicity. They are no more accurate than any good custom rifle, they are just....well...different. Can't put my finger on why, but they are fine rifles that hold their value.

Haven't checked on the new price of a TRG lately, but I'll bet they are more than an AT. And they ain't in the same league.

Haven't checked on the new price of a TRG lately, but I'll bet they are more than an AT. And they ain't in the same league.

About £2600 for TRG-22 black one with blued barrel.

Steyr SSG69 P2 is about £1700

Tikka T3 Sporter £1400

I think some of you are getting confused.

The AT MC is the cheapest gun of the lot. Its an AX/AW action with the switch barrel facility, in AI,s cheapest stock.

The AXMC comes in two action sizes. The .308 short action is the next gun up , price wise.

The AXMC in long action is the .338/.300wm/.308 system. It comes with all three barrels, 3 bolts and magazines, and I believe, is around £12k.

I have an AXMC .308 and love it. I,m also the new owner of a mint AW .338.

Had I had any leanings towards .300 wm , I would have sold them both and bought the long action MC.

I love the guns for their rugged simplicity. They are no more accurate than any good custom rifle, they are just....well...different. Can't put my finger on why, but they are fine rifles that hold their value.

Just found the new price list.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0358/7913/files/SS_AI_Retail_Rifles_2015.pdf?93602635405339072

Baldie, you are thinking of the PSR that comes with all three barrels and bolts for £12k.

The .308 2014 AX is called the AX308 and the magnum model the AXMC and comes in one calibre with option to buy spare bolt and barrels.

The AT with muzzle brake and folding stock now retails at £3500.

I hope every one singing the praises of the AT know that the prices went up on April 1st.

It does seem a lot to pay for a different stock over the AX.

I knew - I must be accounting for a large chunk of traffic on the Sporting Services website! The old AT base prices were £2839 and £3120 and the new prices are £2985 and £3275, so not a massive increase.

What about the Sig-Sauer SSG3000 in patrol or target?

They are probably very good rifles and not a bad price either. However I think that most UK purchasers looking for a 'tactical rifle' have a bit of a mental block when it comes to rifles with only a 5 round capacity. Even though few will actually need that.

What about the Sig-Sauer SSG3000 in patrol or target?

A chap was using a patrol here yesterday at the roundhouse - sub moa with surplus rounds out to 400+. The bolt was super smooth and the trigger was punching way above it's price. At circa £1,400 worth real consideration and just buy a spare mag if you must have 10 rounds to hand.

• 3 weeks later...

If you want a do it all .308, sort out your priorities and cry once. Buy the AI AT its by far the best value of all the rifles you,ve mentioned. Its SO much more gun than its price tag....it makes the AX look positively sick. My mate has just bought one for a little over £3000.

You don't mention what you want to shoot, but believe me...there is a much bigger target shooting world than FTR.

A magazine fed rifle will enable you to compete in ANY discipline at either Bisley, Diggle, or anywhere else.

Hello Dave,

Now I'm showing my age here.

Is sick good or bad?

My teenage step kids say SICK is good.

Is the AI AT better than the older model AX ?

Thanks Phil :-)

I too have been having the same thoughts what 'do it all .308'?

I also thought about the buy wrong (or not what you really want) and it's an expensive mistake, so I bought what I really wanted....... an AI AT!

Pick it up next week, this is the spec:

AI AT .308 Folding Stock, Green, Muzzle Break

Cleaning Kit

AI Design Alloy Bipod for AT

AI AT .308 10-Shot Magazine (reduced rate)

Thread Protector for Barrel AT .308

Now just need to decide what scope, I KNOW that I can't afford what I really want (S&B PM11), so I will need to compromise for the time being.

As it was in the shop, they are changing it to green:

post-13791-0-13651000-1430257895_thumb.jpg

MIke,There is no lack of choices for a good 308 rifle.I'd be happy to shoot any that you have mentioned,and a fair few more.Each tends to have something not all the others has-though it might not be something you need,or even want much. Among mine: most accurate-sub 1/2moa were a custom tikka 55 and a remington 700 (sub .5 moa to 1000y); Steyr cism had a great mag feed and bolt;tikka military 65 sniper was solid,bit of kudos;another...etc etc.

Almost nothing follows-some might have been damaged had a tank run over them,but it didn't,none had bling,my range doesn't do mud and helicopter drops, but none ever malfunctioned.

I still look temptingly at eg Alpine,and AI and wonder what is worth the £-not enhanced accuracy or function,really in my experience.I don't indulge,and would not buy another 308 anyhow-there are better options for me (well,nearly bought a sako last year).

Follow your interests/preferences and what feels good to you;don't equate cost with performance exactly-unless you are intending to go to hell and back- and frequently shoot from muddy ditches. Don't exclude a good used example of an upmarket model (like your list).

All this applies to scopes too-very,very few shots are missed solely because the excellent S&B wasn't used and a suitable spec leupold was. There are other good choices too.

Get a few into your hands-better yet shoulder- check that the specs etc suit your useage; if so,and 'bling' etc is a nice bonus,but won't help performance.

A custom smithed dedicated BR rifle will,but not enough to flatter the average club oriented shooter commensurate with the cost (ballpark £2k for consistent .5 to.3 moa,and upmarket non custom may not do this).Your favourites suggest that's not your game anyhow.

" I have an AT and don't like it,can't shoot it"-nobody seems to say/admit that......as a psychologist,I'm often asked why people.........

gbal

Just my few pennies worth ...

I recently went though a similar process when deciding on my first 308, with the intent to work up to 1000yds. Wanted to 'buy once cry once' as mentioned earlier. Also looked at the AI. I don't know you prior shooting experience , but mine was limited. Went up and down the models, prices, back and forth on the decisions, spoke to as many people, shops as possible.

In the end so I decided to buy a popular (remy 700) middle of the road setup, with some reasonable used components. And spend more time on the trigger. All with a view that I would know better what I want (or really needed!) after a year experience shooting it. Don't forget the mat, bags, mags, ammo boxes and all the other accersories that help to make the day shooting much more comfortable. in my case I needed them all so they are adding up. Glad i went in low ££ now :-0

With the saving also bought a CZ455 rimfire which, due to the volume of rounds fired, I feel has progressed my trigger and gun control (probably quicker) at a much lower cost - and had much more fun time at the club! I also found 200 yds with a 22 can be an interesting day when the other guys are shooting full bore :)

Hope this helps. Sorry don't know enough to give advice on any other specific rifles.

22lrman - that's an honest assessment.

Pretty much what I tell new shooters joining our club - buy a Remmy PSS secondhand, shoot everything with it, learn to reload and, after a year when you've learned the game, buy what you really need and sell the Remmy for what you paid for it.

Archived